Lump on my dogs side?

My dog will be 11 in March and for her breed that is getting up there. She is an American Foxhound and this morning she walked up to me and I noticed a lump on her side. I haven't seen it before because of where it is. It is on her right side under her…

Lump on my dogs side?

My dog will be 11 in March and for her breed that is getting up there. She is an American Foxhound and this morning she walked up to me and I noticed a lump on her side. I haven't seen it before because of where it is. It is on her right side under her…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Lump on my dogs side?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lump on my dogs side?

Lump on my dogs side? Dog Breed Discussions
      My dog will be 11 in March and for her breed that is getting up there. She is an American Foxhound and this morning she walked up to me and I noticed a lump on her side. I haven't seen it before because of where it is. It is on her right side under her rib cage. She has been acting normal but when I saw the lump I felt around and it's about the size of a half dollar. I checked and she doesn't have any other lumps so that's good, anyone have experience with this? Can I just watch it for a week to make sure there isn't any growth before rushing her to the vet?

Lump on my dogs side?

Lump on my dogs side? Dog Breed Discussions
    • If it's a soft lump that moves with her skin it's probably a fatty tumor, most of which are not problem and older dogs tend to get them. I once had a dog that was prone to these, once a year I'd take her in and have my vet aspirate them (remove a small bit with a syringe) and check to be sure it was just a fatty tumor. Thank goodness I did this, because once (out of many lumps) it turned out to be a problem and I was able to get treatment for her in time.If it's a hard lump that moves with the skin, it could be a cyst. I've had dogs with these too, sometimes it was necessary to treat them, sometimes not.If it's firmly attached to her body under the skin, take your dog to the vet for advice.Even if it seems to be a fatty tumor or cyst, check it regularly. Any changes or developement should be addressed with your vet.If it were me, I'd have my vet look at it no matter what. The $35 for the vet visit is totally worth the peace of mind.

• In older dogs, they sometimes get fatty pockets on their bodies that can show up anywhere. They aren't dangerous or painful to them and they will drain when the time is right so, I wouldn't panic just yet. If it grows or gets harder, it may be entirely something else going on. It wouldn't hurt to take her to the vet right away to make sure that this is what it is because it may not be and you need to catch it before it becomes serious before it turns out to be a serious problem and may end up to be something that they need to treat right away. But from your dogs age, I would bet that it is a fatty deposit. It could be a tumor or cancer so, I wouldn't wait too long in getting her to the vet just to be on the safe side. If it is a fatty deposit, expect more of them.

• Well I would definitely bring her to the vet. Just in case ya know?...However, I had a beagle growing up and when he was about 11 years old he started getting "fatty tumors" which is just random diposites of fat. When dogs get old they tend to get them. But when we noticed the first one we did bring him to the vet right away, again just in case.Best Wishes!

• Every lump on every dog needs to be checked out. Although it could be a fatty tumor, called a lipoma, the only way anyone can know is to take a small needle and collect a sample of the contents of the lump. The vet will draw out a little amount and put it on a slide. He will then look at the slide under the microscope, where he should be able to identify the types of cells he sees. Sometimes they can't figure it out, and they'll send the slides out to an outside lab for diagnosis. I have seen a fatty lump that was actually cancer. Some tumors can lie right next to another one and make the thing look benign. I have personally seen a biopsy of a fatty tumor come back as cancer.So please have it checked out. And if they say it's fine, then do not assume the next lump is the same thing. My personal dog had three types of lumps on her, and they all were cancer, different types. We removed everything each time, and she made it to be 12, which is good for a lab.Hopefully you will go ahead and make the appointment. Our doc says that 50% of lumps on dogs are cancer. So with any lump, there's a 50/50 chance of it being benign, and I hope this one is!vet tech

• As a dog ages, many of them develop what is called a Lipoma (fatty tumour) which is a benign growth that never turns cancerous and most vets recommend leaving them unless they are interfering with the dogs activities. Usually I get a needle biopsy done when I discover one just to make sure it is a fatty tumour and not a cancerous lesion.Most Lipomas as soft and you can move them around, however if the lump is hard and not easily moved, get to the vet quickly as this is probably more than a Lipoma.