what do you think is the smartest and the dumbest dog in the world?

what do you think is the smartest and the dumbest dog in the world?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : what do you think is the smartest and the dumbest dog in the world?...

• what do you think is the smartest and the dumbest dog in the world?

what do you think is the smartest and the dumbest dog in the world? Dog Breed Discussions

what do you think is the smartest and the dumbest dog in the world? Dog Breed Discussions
    • There is not an answer to either of your questions. All dogs are smart in their own ways and some are silly in their own ways. Plus, I don't think any dog (or animal) is dumb.

• trainability and intelligence are two different things. I believe the smartest breed is the border collie. The Afghan hound is known to be very hard to train. Personally, I think labs and doodles are very stupid. They are trainable, but just generally stupid. I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but I think because they get so focused on pleasing you and are so high energy they turn their logic off, and if you don't use it you loose it. There is an old english sheep dog at the doggy day care I work at who is VERY stupid. But I'd say that is unusual for the breed.

• Everyone says Border Collies are the Smartest, but i think all dogs are smart in relation to what they were bred for. I don't think any dogs are dumb, in fact the ones people label dumb "because they don't listen" are some of the smartest dogs out there, they know how to manipulate.ADD: Makemelaugh- Poodles are very intellegent dogs.

• Smartest dog: border colliedumbest dog: well. . . . bull terrier . . they are hard to train. . . . they look cute but they just never understand and forget what they have been taught in a minute.QouteBrightest Dogs1Border Collie2Poodle3German Shepherd4Golden Retriever5Doberman Pinscher6Shetland Sheepdog7Labrador Retriever8Papillon9Rottweiler10Australian Cattle Dog11Pembroke Welsh Corgi12Miniature Schnauzer13English Springer Spaniel14Belgian Tervuren15SchipperkeBelgian Sheepdog16CollieKeeshond17German Shorthaired Pointer18Flat-Coated RetrieverEnglish Cocker SpanielStandard Schnauzer19Brittany20Cocker Spaniel21Weimaraner22Belgian MalinoisBernese Mountain Dog23Pomeranian24Irish Water Spaniel25Vizsla26Cardigan Welsh Corgi27Chesapeake Bay RetrieverPuliYorkshire Terrier28Giant Schnauzer29Airedale TerrierBouvier Des Flandres30Border TerrierBriard31Welsh Springer Spaniel32Manchester Terrier33Samoyed34Field SpanielNewfoundlandAustralian TerrierAmerican Staffordshire TerrierGordon SetterBearded Collie35Cairn TerrierKerry Blue TerrierIrish Setter36Norwegian Elkhound37AffenpincherSilky TerrierMiniature PinscherEnglish SetterPharaoh HoundClumber Spaniel38Norwich Terrier39Dalmatian40Soft-Coated Wheaten TerrierBedlington TerrierSmooth Fox Terrier41Curly-Coated RetrieverIrish Wolfhound42KuvaszAustralian Shepherd43SalukiFinnish SpitzPointer44Cavalier King Charles SpanielGerman Wirehaired PointerBlack & Tan CoonhoundAmerican Water Spaniel45Siberian HuskyBichon FriseEnglish Toy Spaniel46Tibetan SpanielEnglish FoxhoundOtterhoundAmerican FoxhoundGreyhoundWirehaired Pointing Griffon47West Highland White TerrierScottish Deerhound48BoxerGreat Dane49DachshundStafforshire Bull Terrier50Alaskan Malamute51WhippetChinese Shar-peiWire Fox Terrier52Rhodesian Ridgeback53Ibizan HoundWelsh TerrierIrish Terrier54Boston TerrierAkita55Skye Terrier56Norfolk TerrierSealyham Terrier57Pug58French Bulldog59Brussels GriffonMaltese60Italian Greyhound61Chinese Crested62Dandie Dinmont TerrierPetit Basset Griffon VendeenTibetan TerrierJapanese ChinLakeland Terrier63Old English Sheepdog64Great Pyrenees65Scottish TerrierSaint Bernard66Bull Terrier67Chihuahua68Lhasa Apso69Bullmastiff70Shih Tzu71Basset Hound72MastiffBeagle73Pekingese74Bloodhound75Borzoi76Chow Chow77Bulldog78Basenji79Afghan Hound

• Of course there will always be exceptions to the "smartest" or "dumbest" breeds, these would just be my picks in general...Smartest - Hovawarts ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hovawart ) I have one and she's the smartest dog I've ever met. I can teach her just about ANYthing in less than a half hour and she'll remember it for good. My breeder has told me this is typical of the breed. Other smart breeds are German Shepherds, Border Collies and most other herding dogs, Poodles, Dobermans, Rottweilers and Retrievers.Dumbest - I've been told Beagles are not so bright (or at least a huge challenge to train), Bulldogs and a lot of the hound group. And I'll have to disagree with the answerer above me, Afghan Hounds are not known for their intelligence.

• I think border collies are the smartest, I've often heard it said that it is easy for an inexperienced owner to teach a BC the wrong thing because the dog is so quick it is often two steps ahead of the handler. I currently have a Greyhound who is super smart at some things and did such an effective job of training me that I didn't realise I had been trained until it was pointed out. Dumbest? hmmmm hard to distinguish between dumb, stubborn (not wanting to learn), silly (or excitable) and poor handling. I had a Rough Collie who was smart as a whip in most ways but never learned at what point in the hall he had to stop running so that he didn't slide and slam into the front door.

• Several points to make:1. There is no such thing as a smartest breed or dumbest breed. Research has factually shown that by choosing particular traits, we can dumb down particular breeds. Additionally, specific research on dog intelligence has found that among a range of pure-bred and mixed breed dogs, there was NO DIFFERENCE in INTELLIGENCE based on breed.What there was, was a difference in aptitude for particular skills. For instance, BCs and Shelties (and all herding breeds) were the most biddable and most likely to obey. Terriers were the best problem solvers--like how to get out of a maze on their own (while herding breeds did the worst at this). Other breeds showed an ability to generalize better. To simplify the research (which is also referred to in detail in Jane Killion's book "When Pigs Fly"), there are different types of intelligence. We have different breeds of dogs because they've been bred to do different things. So it stands to reason that a herding dog (which is supposed to work closely with humans) is great at obeying. And terriers (who go down into holes where humans can't go, in the dark, find the fox and manage to get out alive) are great independent problem solvers. And working breeds have tremendous drive (they refuse to quit) and often do great at working in teams (like sled dogs) and coordinating. There is no such thing as a smarter breed!2. The list that people often quote was developed by Stanley Coren. Let me explain what he did: he went to a bunch of conformation trial judges and asked "which does are the ones mostly likely to obey on the first command?" and then counted up the number of responses. So what's wrong with this approach? Well, if it's a mixed breed or a rare breed (like a rat terrier--not formally recognized by AKC) it won't be on the list because the judges don't see it or don't see it often. Additionally, it assumes that quickness to obey equals intelligence. Maybe it just means more biddable, or better trained. Finally, it's like me asking your friends if they think you're smart. Their opinion doesn't mean you're smart or dumb--that's just their opinion.3. People like to think their dog is the smartest dog around. And we all have this bias that says "smarter is better." My thought is: thank heavens most people don't have the smartest dog. I don't say this to be insulting. But let me tell you about really smart dogs and what they do. Most dogs walk into a screen on a porch and conclude "ouch--better not walk into this thing again!". A really smart dog concludes "this was only one part of the screen. Not all parts will have the same strength. I should test every single inch of the screen before I conclude not to push against it anymore!" Or the husky who found a way to open up canned food from the pantry when his humans were away. Or the Schipperke who recognized how humans shifted gears in the car so when left in the car for 5 minutes, used his mouth to push the gear shifter into neutral so the car rolled out of the parking space and into another car in the parking lot. Or the Aussie who learned how to push open the medicine cabinet and then chew open the bottle of advil (which proved fatal). Or the Cocker who figured out the light pattern at the stoplight and waited for a red before crossing on it's own--only to be hit and killed by someone running a red. Folks, all of us are fortunate that we all have moderately intelligent dogs. A really smart dog, the rare ones at the high end of the IQ spectrum, would be nearly impossible for most of us to live with.