My dog wont eat!!!?

I have an American foxhound, hes 10 months old,the vet said to change him to adult food now,he already really stopped eating his puppy food,but i gave him the same brand of food he was eating but only adult,i gradually added it with the puppy food until…

My dog wont eat!!!?

I have an American foxhound, hes 10 months old,the vet said to change him to adult food now,he already really stopped eating his puppy food,but i gave him the same brand of food he was eating but only adult,i gradually added it with the puppy food until…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : My dog wont eat!!!?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My dog wont eat!!!?

My dog wont eat!!!? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have an American foxhound, hes 10 months old,the vet said to change him to adult food now,he already really stopped eating his puppy food,but i gave him the same brand of food he was eating but only adult,i gradually added it with the puppy food until the puppy food was gone,he wont eat at all!! i tried Eukanuba,pedigree,now a food thats called "One" hes going on 2 days not eating,i know hes hungry cause he walks all around the kitchen looking around,any suggestions on what i can do??

My dog wont eat!!!?

My dog wont eat!!!? Dog Breed Discussions
    • first make sure he is still drinking water... try soaking the kibble in warm water, try soaking the kibble in vita gravy or chicken broth... depending on what you can afford i would try a more premium brand of dog food..like.. nutro, natural balance, pro plan or science diet... or some of the more natural brands...

• keep on mixing the puppy and adult foot or cook a half a turkey burger and add to just the adult food see if it likes carrots if it does like carets don't give him to much cut up two baby carrots and put them in his food

• During this transition phase, you can use some wet canned dog food, mixed with his normal dry food ( no more than 2 spoons). He'll eat with pleasure. Another tip I use with my dog, is to cut a few thin slices of a dog's cereal bar and mix it with his normal dried food. He love it and eats hungry. Also try to feed him always at the same time, that he'll show which is the best. I feed mine twice a day.If don't work, extend the transition period mixing some of his puppy food again, but always in small portions each day.Good luck for you both.

• When he gets hungry enough he will eat. Just leave the food out for him and he will eventually go to eat. Dogs aren't that stupid that they'd starve themselves because they didn't like the food. Don't switch back to puppy food or else he will think that when he begs for something long enough he will get it. Like someone else said, put some bacon grease on it. They also have this special gravy for dogs that is both yummy for them and is good for their coat and digestive systems. And if nothing works. He just may not like the hardness of the food them soak the food in some water for 2 min. That will make it a little easier to chew. Best of Luck to you and your dog!!

• Well, there could be a few reasons that your pup isn't eating.. In your case I would say that either your dog is sick or your dog just doesn't like the food you are feeding him. Eukanuba, Pedigree, Iams, Beneful, Ol' Roy.. pretty much any food that you buy from a grocery store is not a good quality dog food. Foods like that contain things like corn (which dogs can't digest well at all), by-products, animal digest (animal feces), etc! We use to feed our dogs Iams, but then we did some serious research on dog foods and now we are feeding them Natural Balance. http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/home.html Natural Balance is an all natural product, their foods contain no artificial preservatives, flavors, colors, or bleached ingredients. They do not contain corn, soy, wheat, eggs, dairy products or sunflower oil. Their foods are made with premium quality meats (no by-products) from USDA approved plants, brown rice, fresh carrots, oatmeal, fresh potatoes, etc. Their food contain lecithin, linoleic acid, whole ground flaxseed, vitamin E, biotin and kelp which are used in the correct ratios required to produce an excellent skin and coat condition for your dog. Their foods are also taurine fortified, new studies show that dogs need taurine for cardiovascular health. Now, I'm definitely not saying that Natural Balance is the absolute best, because it's not, but it is an A+ food because it is such a good quality food. Other wonderful dog foods are Canidae, Chicken Soup for the pet lovers soul, Eagle Pack Holistic, Timberwolf Organics, Solid Gold, Innova and there is many more (pets stores carry most of these foods)! My husband and I used a kibble rating chart when we were researching foods.. it helps you rate the ingredients in each food so you can compare them and find which ones are good quality and which ones are not. The kibbles rating chart only takes a few minutes to use, but it's really long so I'm not going to post it on here, but if you would like to you it, let me know and I would be glad to send it to you! Here are some of the foods and what they scored...A+'sA+ Chicken Soup for the pet lovers soul 113A+ Eagle Pack Holistic chicken 114A+ Eagle Pack Holistic LG and Giant Breed Adlt 113A+ Eagle Pack Natural 104A+ Timberwolf Organics Lamb and Venison 136A+ Solid Gold Bison 123A+ Solid Gold Wolf King 109A+ Solid Gold Hund N flocken 105A+ Solid Gold Mmillennia 111A+ Innova 117A+ Natural Balance Duck and Potato 114 **This is what we feed our 3 dogs and they love it!**A+ Canidae 119A+ Foundations Chicken and Vegetable 109A+ Flint River Ranch Fish and Chips 109A+ Wysong Synorgon 110A+ Flint River Ranch Lamb, Millet and Rice 117A+ Back to Basics 107B'sB Eukanuba Natural Lamb and Rice 87C'sC Nutro Lamb and Rice 85D'sD Iams Lamb and Rice 74F'sF Pedigree Adult Complete 14F Ol'Roy 9F Science Diet Chicken Adult Maintainance 45F Purina Beniful original 23All Purina and Pro Plan foods rate as a FF Pro Plan Giant Breed Adult 41F Pro Plan Performance 53F Pro Plan Chicken and RiceF Purina Dog chowF Purina Large Breed 40F Diamond Lamb and Rice 61F Diamond Performance (formerly professional)F Diamond Large Breed 55Anyway, I would suggest that you put your pup on a good quality food that he likes and get him checked out by a vet to make sure he's not sick. By the way, Natural Balances foods are complete and balanced for all breeds and life stages so, we feed our 1 year 2 month old male the same exact food we feed our 6 month old female and our 7 1/2 month old female. We will most likely feed them this same food for their whole lives and if we do ever switch them we will keep them on Natural Balance, but switch to a different formula that fits their needs. I hope this has helped some! Good luck! : )**Oh, I had an American foxhound a few years ago. She was so beautiful, smart, sweet.. she was just an all around wonderful dog! : )**

• My vet suggested stirring in a spoonful of yogurt (my dog prefers straw/ban) into the dog food. It works wonderfully! My dog eats Eukanuba and after so many years he grew tired of it or became anxious or something. But the yogurt helped a lot to motivate him to eat. Good luck!(Just use a spoonful at a time and cap the yogurt back up and keep in fridge)