Budding breeder: How to get foundation stock when there are no breeders for 200 miles?

Some day in the distant future I would love to breed American Foxhounds. So sometimes I busy myself with reading about them and looking over the standard, looking at the pictures of dogs and whatever. Foxhounds usually aren't bred to AKC standards, which…

Budding breeder: How to get foundation stock when there are no breeders for 200 miles?

Some day in the distant future I would love to breed American Foxhounds. So sometimes I busy myself with reading about them and looking over the standard, looking at the pictures of dogs and whatever. Foxhounds usually aren't bred to AKC standards, which…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Budding breeder: How to get foundation stock when there are no breeders for 200 miles?...

• Budding breeder: How to get foundation stock when there are no breeders for 200 miles?

Budding breeder: How to get foundation stock when there are no breeders for 200 miles? Dog Breed Discussions
      Some day in the distant future I would love to breed American Foxhounds. So sometimes I busy myself with reading about them and looking over the standard, looking at the pictures of dogs and whatever. Foxhounds usually aren't bred to AKC standards, which might be a problem. I can't predict how much the popularity will rise or fall within the 10+ years it may take for me to actually begin my breeding project. I looked for AKC breeders and there are none within a 200 mile radius. So, if this is the situation, how could I get some dogs?P.S. Please don't tell me to spay and neuter, I'm aware of all that stuff. My current dog was adopted from the shelter and he's neutered. :)

Budding breeder: How to get foundation stock when there are no breeders for 200 miles? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You need to find a breeder...might be FAR away...and start talking with them and learning from them!!!! They are not really popular and probably never will be since the are not the greatest family "pets". Most people do not hunt fox anymore.Yeah, I would really talk to breeders about placing puppies. There is NOT a great demand for this breed. You are not going to attract "Backwoods Bob" with show stock prices, and there are not too many people looking for this breed as a pet (and even less that should have one as a pet) and not too many that get them to show. So what are the options in this breed??????????If you show, you are probably going to have to travel aLOT to get to a show that will have enough of them to get any majors at all!!!!!!!!!Maybe this is why there are so few breeders of this breed!!!

• Foundation stock is very very important, as it will influence every dog you breed. I know people who have traveled out of state, or had dogs shipped in from another country to get the proper foundation. Your foundation should be the very best that you can find and afford, healthwise, structure, type, personality, everything.

• I would think more about WHO will purchase puppies. Yes, no one can tell what the future holds, but it's something to think about.If you want to start your stock off right, you may just have to travel 200 miles away or more. Also, contact breeders and see what they say. They'll have the right information, hopefully.

• Study, learn and really get into the breed before buying one..... with the internet, it should not be that hard to find the animals you want, when you are ready for them.... all it takes is time and money. If anyone thinks you can make money breeding dogs, they are very wrong. You may have to travel to get your dogs, or have them shipped, but you maybe able to meet part way at a show or something. There are reputable AKC foxhound breeders out there.... you just have to dig in and do your homework

• first,, find a reputable breeder... then make the trip to see the breeder and their dogs... tell them you want to breed.... (most will turn you away) second,, find a reputable breeder and tell them you want a SHOW PROSPECT pup, they will most likely co own it with you,, then you have to travel the show circuit and finish the dogs championship,,, when that is done,, then you will have to have all the pre breeding health clearances done,,, if, by any chance you get your championship and pass alll the clearances,, then and ONLY THEN can you start studying the genetics of you dog in order to find a compatible stud dog to breed to... you will want to line breed..you need to mentor for years with a foxhoud breeder/exhibitor before even thinking about breeding..

• First of all you need to be willing to go more than 200 miles to get good/excellent breeding "stock". You also need to go to some AKC shows in your area. You are studying up on the breed and that is good. You also realize it will take along time to get started. That is also good. Popularity with any breed is not predictable, one day cockers are in another dalmations, dobermans, shepards, labs, now it is those nasty designer breeds.. (here comes the thumbs down) I did not say MUTTS the designer breeds are different. I like MUTTS. anyways. You will find that your breed will be popular with a certain clientel. You need to get one, and raise it and see if they are what you are looking for, go to agility with it, trained. Definitly keep looking and studying. I looked up the american foxhound nice dog... Good luck..

• You'll probably just have to bite the bullet and drive more than 200 miles, and it probably won't be for just the pups either. This is what many quality breeders to. All the breeders I've been in contact with (Belgian Shepherds) have all driven 200-800 miles to get high quality puppies, high quality matings and even to show and get international prizes on their dogs.Top notch breeding is a costly and time-consuming affair.