Would a bigger dog handle me more during cuddling and snuggling?

My dog is an American Foxhound German Shepard mix and she weighs 65 lbs and she is sweet and affectionate and licks but on her own terms when she feels like it. She sleeps next to us at night even with me but with my brother even more. He is 110 lbs and…

My dog is an American Foxhound German Shepard mix and she weighs 65 lbs and she is sweet and affectionate and licks but on her own terms when she feels like it. She sleeps next to us at night even with me but with my brother even more. He is 110 lbs and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Would a bigger dog handle me more during cuddling and snuggling?...

• Would a bigger dog handle me more during cuddling and snuggling?

Would a bigger dog handle me more during cuddling and snuggling? Dog Breed Discussions
      My dog is an American Foxhound German Shepard mix and she weighs 65 lbs and she is sweet and affectionate and licks but on her own terms when she feels like it. She sleeps next to us at night even with me but with my brother even more. He is 110 lbs and when he lays on her she handles him better than me because I am 250. She is very submissive and passive. She groans and whines when I lay on her or just rest my head on her body. My brothers tells me that is because I am disturbing her breathing. She puts her head on my thighs sometimes. I am thinking of getting either a Saint Bernard,Newfoundland,or English Mastiff because I heard they are affectionate and love to snuggle.

Would a bigger dog handle me more during cuddling and snuggling? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Um... Are you serious? Yes, you are squashing your dog, and the truth is that would happen no matter what kind of dog you had. It sounds like you're expecting more than a reasonable level of physical attention from your dog, if you know what I mean.Get a body pillow.

• No. Dogs have personalities. I have a beagle who is 35 lbs and a terrier who is 12 lbs... the tiny little terrier is FAR more cuddly and responsive to sleeping and snuggling. I think it depends on the dog, not the size.EDIT: I gently lay my head on both my dogs and they are just fine.

• Your dog isn't some kind of couch or mattress to wanna sleep on. SHES A DOG. I love Saint Bernard's even tho they have excessive slobbering. They are very loving and affectionate dogs.

• you ARE stopping the dogs breathing. how would you like it if somebody put 4 times your weight on top of your lungs? it would hurt, wouldn't it?let it sleep with you. don't sleep ON it and don't let it sleep on you!!!!!ok? good

• There are many reasons your dog wont let you lay on her.1) When you lay on her, you might be making it hard to breath for her2) Dogs never like it when your face is to close to them, especially your head.3) Maybe you have been doing something to her, making her less attracted to you.If I were you, i'd give the dog some space! Don't smother her. Let her choose who she wants to be by.Hope I helped.

• You are making her uncomfortable by laying on her. How would you feel if someone laid on top of you when you were trying to sleep? Some dogs like to cuddle, others don't; it depends on the individual dog, not the breed.More importantly, you should not be considering another dog just because you want to snuggle with it. That's ridiculous. It's like getting pregnant because you want a baby to love you. There are far more important things that need to be taken into consideration - like the cost of another dog and whether or not it will get along with your current one.

• All dog have different personalities and I have 2 great danes and only one of them will let me lay on her the other hates it so and danes are learners and supposed to be great bed hogs so not all is true.Did you ask this question yesterday as I remember the question only written different?the dog may be more comfortable with your brother than you and dogs do that at times.i had a GSD many years ago that loved my son and he could lay and even stand on her and she left him but not me and I was the one who took care of her.if you want to get a dog make sure the dog is with YOU all the time and not with your brother or the same thing will happen again.

• English Mastiff owner here. You fail to mention the cost involved, and the extra care involved with a giant breed. Vet bills are more expensive, my 9 month old dog eats approx. 70 pounds of dry food, a can of wet food, and numerous treats every day. If the cost isn't an issue, read on.Feed a mastiff and it will love you forever, its heart is truly in its stomach lol. If you plan to lay on the dog, though, find another breed. The bones of a mastiff will be very soft for up to three years, at which point the platelets close up and they are considered an adult. Such soft bones can be malformed by pushing on them, laying on them, sitting on them, etc. They also are huge droolers, especially after eating and/or drinking, which means you will need a clean dry cloth available at all times to keep it off your walls and other things. They also require minimal exercise for the first couple years and then more regular daily walks... ask yourself if this works for you, because to keep them healthy and help them live longer they need to be well taken care of. If all that works for you first of all, you may THEN consider the cuddling aspects of this dog that may grow up to weigh in excess of 200 pounds. My dog is perfect with small children, perfect with the disabled, a great cuddler although she's not really much for giving kisses (she gives great hugs), she follows me around all the time, and she likes to be with her people all the time... and I do mean ALL the time. You may want to rule out the English Mastiff if all this doesn't fit your lifestyle. Just so you know, not all dogs of any particular breed are the same as the next dog in terms of what their personality and snuggle preferences are. I know of lots of mutts that really love to snuggle.Don't know any people that like to lay on top of their dogs, though. Resting your head on a dog's body, yes, but fully laying on top of them... no. Maybe you just need to adjust your methods of showing affection rather than getting another dog right now. I'm sure the dog you have is great.