Anyone expert at training hounds?

Hi, my dog is currently four years old, and is a labrador, hound (american foxhound or harrier?), brittany ? mix. She's a beautiful girl, listens to everything I say inside and knows.... seventeen commands and tricks and other nonsense :). The one thing…

Hi, my dog is currently four years old, and is a labrador, hound (american foxhound or harrier?), brittany ? mix. She's a beautiful girl, listens to everything I say inside and knows.... seventeen commands and tricks and other nonsense :). The one thing…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Anyone expert at training hounds?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Anyone expert at training hounds?

Anyone expert at training hounds? Dog Breed Discussions
      Hi, my dog is currently four years old, and is a labrador, hound (american foxhound or harrier?), brittany ? mix. She's a beautiful girl, listens to everything I say inside and knows.... seventeen commands and tricks and other nonsense :). The one thing I have yet to teach her is to recall. Once she smells or sees something, she is gone. She isn't a big eater and could care less about toys!!My question is has anyone had luck teaching their hound the recall or any websites that can help. Not saying that I am letting her off the leash, just it's a necessary command for her own good:)Thanks everyone.

Anyone expert at training hounds? Dog Breed Discussions
    • i know petsmart has dog training that specialize in that. they are also affordable. i reccomend you go to your nearest petsmart and sign up for dog training. very easy class and i know your dog will do great if she is that intelligent.

• Try this ebook, http://0c0dc910rg2b7l7n6eyj1zty9x.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=PUPPYTRAININGI have a 1 year old yellow lab that really acted up before I read this book. It lays it out step by step and put you back in control. Hopefully you can have the same luck I did.

• Do you have a partner or friend or relative you can have help you? If so, this was what we did. We got our dog on a loooong leash, and each of us were about as far apart as the leash was long. The dog was with the leash holder, the other person called "Bridget, come!" The dog went running over to that person, who then petted her and gave lots of praise like "good girl, good puppy!" and gave her a treat. She loved the attention. When she settled down, the other person called "Bridget, come!" She would run over to the other person, who would praise and treat again. Repeat several more times. Keep doing it daily and she'll learn to associate the "come" command with good things.Now our dog is a Doberman, I've heard that hounds are more difficult to train with this, but hopefully this will help you a bit. Best of luck!

• Honestly just the fact of me being the alpha works as far as recall goes. My dogs come on command & they would never go far from me even when off leash.I have trained a few Dachshunds & they are the same way, plus extremely stubborn, all I did, was show them whose boss & that ignoring my commands was not an option.You of course need to practice this in your own yard, where there won't be as many distractions.Reward every time she comes with lots of praise.You have to find a way into her mind & control her from there.Being alpha is natural. It is natural for a pack of dogs to follow the alpha, not the other way around.

• I have a hunting dog that is the same way. She'll always run off during recall. I use a leash and training collar when training her. The collar is not used to hurt the dog, but to correct it. She has gotten much better at it. I no longer use the leash.ADD: Honestly, PetSmart training is expensive and not that great. It's about $109. I paid $50 for my class and it was much better.