I want to create the most versatile of dog breeds. What do you think about my plan so far.?

So lately I have been thinking about what the most versatile of all breeds would be. If I was to create this it would be a dog that excelled in all areas of work. Herding, Hunting, Protection, Retrieving, Pointing, Flushing,Catching,Ratting etc. I'm just…

I want to create the most versatile of dog breeds. What do you think about my plan so far.?

So lately I have been thinking about what the most versatile of all breeds would be. If I was to create this it would be a dog that excelled in all areas of work. Herding, Hunting, Protection, Retrieving, Pointing, Flushing,Catching,Ratting etc. I'm just…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I want to create the most versatile of dog breeds. What do you think about my plan so far.?...

• I want to create the most versatile of dog breeds. What do you think about my plan so far.?

I want to create the most versatile of dog breeds. What do you think about my plan so far.? Dog Breed Discussions
      So lately I have been thinking about what the most versatile of all breeds would be. If I was to create this it would be a dog that excelled in all areas of work. Herding, Hunting, Protection, Retrieving, Pointing, Flushing,Catching,Ratting etc. I'm just pondering because my grandparents just bought a ranch and are planning to have cattle and sheep and things like that.Its in Texas where there is an issue with wild hogs.So I was thinking about what the perfect working dog would be.I think I would start with a well bred Standard Poodle so I can have a great retriever. Then Maybe a German Short haired Pointer for its pointing ability. I want a dog that will point out the game before bringing it. Then I would cross that with a Border collie because of its intelligence and great herding abilities. That dog will be bred with a Springer Spaniel because I want a dog that would be good at flushing annoying birds from the property. For Protection I would breed in The Doberman Pinchser and the Rottweiler. I wouldn't want it to be huge, no more than 24" so I would breed in several breeds such as the American Pit Bull Terrier, The Cardigan Welsh Corgi. The Austrailian Cattle dog and the Beagle. For hunting I would breed in the Beagle, the American Foxhound the Whippet and The Greyhound so I get both the scent hounds way of catching scents that have gone cold and a sighthounds incredible speed. I am still pondering which one of the terriers I want to use for ratters. I was leaning towards airdale but when mixed with the other large breeds I feel like it would make the breed to large. Maybe Patterdale or Jack/ Parson Russel or even Carin Terrier.This dog would not be a good pet but I feel like it would be great on a ranch. And know that if I ever did this all the parents would be health tested and certified before I even started. I would probably have to find a network of reputable breeders that will help me with this. I also will push to get the breed recognized. I would not just make mutts that will be sold in pet shops. It would actually be a working breed. Meaning you can't own one if you don't participate in what it is bred for or show it.So here's what I think it would look likeMales= 20-24"Females= 18=21"Coat- Wavy to tight curls, Like a poodle.I guess I would even try to create a "smooth" variety so people wouldn't have to groom it so much.Narrow skull, Colors-Would come in all colors but mainly black and tan, Brown, and black and white. Would be shown like a cocker spaniel. ASCOB ( any solid color other than black) Black, and Parti color( a mix of two or more colors.)Here are some other breeds I was thinking would be good in this breedThe Golden RetrieverThe labrador RetrieverThe SalukiThe petite basset griffon vendeenThe Wire Fox terrierThe Norwich terrierThe German ShepherdThe Soft Coated WheatenThe Shetland sheepdogThe BrittanyThe portugese water dogJust so you know I am not going to attempt this. It would create to many unwanted mixed breed dogs while I make the perfect breed. 1.What would you name it ( and don't say mutt)? 2.Would you add or remove any breeds to/ from this breed to make it better? 3.What would be the downside of this breed besides the obvious excess of mixed breed pups? I mean after it is created and being used worldwide as a working dog.4.Would you ever try this? 5. If I ever did create this breed. Would you want one?To all the idiots who said it would just be a mutt. Technically no it wouldn't As I stated above. If I was to create this I would get it recognized as a working breed. All dogs at one time were mutts. This dog wouldn't be like the stupid ___poos you see in pet stores. It would have a purpose other than to make money were it to exist. Stop taking sh*t at face value. I am not a BYB because as I stated I was just pondering the outcome. I do not intend to do this. I do not breed dogs.To the people who gave real insight. Thank you for not being a jerk Oh and duhhh It would take a long time. I know that much. I wouldn't wake up and start breeding dogs overnight if I were to do this. It would take some serious research and time to find great breeders willing to jump on the project. Then It would take years to finally get the right traits I was looking for and to start creating dogs like it to widen the gene pool. This would be a project that my great grandchildren would probably not see the end of

I want to create the most versatile of dog breeds. What do you think about my plan so far.? Dog Breed Discussions
    • No to everything. No owner of well bred dogs would sell to you if you're going to use them to make mutts. Mutts are a dime a dozen. But I'm glad you aren't going to attempt this.

• All my answers answers are no there is no way you should ever think of creating mutts which is all they would be ,i actually cant believe some one would spend so much time thinking about something that is not going to happen .

• I can pick one from a shelter any day; it's called a random mutt from the species Canis Familiaris and it won't come at a ridiculous hyped up price.I guess you know dog breeding is not like making a cake recipe.

• 1.What would you name it ( and don't say mutt)? Whodunit2.Would you add or remove any breeds to/ from this breed to make it better? yorkshire terrier for it's bark and obnoxiousnees3.What would be the downside of this breed besides the obvious excess of mixed breed pups? I mean after it is created and being used worldwide as a working dog. Jack of all trades, master of none. This means that this dog would not be real good at anything.4.Would you ever try this? no I like more specialized breeds. I dopn't want hunting dogs that can herd as herding goes against what hunting dogs are supposed to do5. If I ever did create this breed. Would you want one? no

• I'm only answering this because I know you're not going to do it.First of all, you don't need two similar breeds. You said greyhound and whippet, and that's not necessary. same for the hunting dogs... And Rotties were bred as herding dogs (well, really they would bring the sheep to the butcher but whatever), they aren't guard dogs. Don't breed a dog in just for size, if you include smaller breeds overall, that'll do the trick. West highland white terriers are bred to be rat catchers. As for my opinion on the other possible breeds, you don't need any of those really. They do pretty much the same thing as the others. Note: It'd be great if there could be some Newfoundland in there for temperament, but I know that would be too big.1. No idea what I would name it. Maybe something relating to your last name?2. Explained above3. Strong urge to work, making it an active dog and not so good for most families. Unpredictable coat, build, temperament, etc.4. No way, it isn't worth it. It is interesting to think about though.5. Probably not

• This wouldn't be physically possible because it would take generations and generations of breeding to make this possible because female dogs only go into a heat a few times a year. It would also be kind of unhealthy for dogs breeding small dogs to large dogs. You wouldn't be able to pick what they'd look like because you say you want curly fur like a poodle's but they might end up with fur like a German Shepherd's or Corgi's having had those breeds in them. Also, because of all those breeds in them they would only get say 5% pointing ability, hunting ability, ect. and they would have to be taught to do those things, they wouldn't just automatically do it. And, not to mean, but breeders most likely wouldn't let you breed their champion dogs they have worked hard to get to breed with a different breed just to be bred into a million other things.

• The amount of time it would take to create such a dog with as many breeds as you want in it would take longer than your lifetime. Not to mention getting reputable breeders to give you dogs only to produce mutts...which as you know will be produced YEARS before you even get close to your imaginary breed standard.I think it is a useless and silly idea.1. I wouldnt call it anything. The "breed" shouldnt be made. There are already working dogs for different areas of work.2. I am not a breeder nor have I dont the years of research it would take to "create" a breed.3. How are we supposed to know the "breed's" downfalls..? it doesnt exist.4. No, I would NEVER5. Nope. I already have my breed of choice. i couldnt tell you anyway because..again..it doesnt exist.

• 1. The name would deffinitely have something to do with the place where it was created.2. I would add the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, Kooikerhondje and Beagle to the mix along with the australian shepherd and the otterhound and the Vizsla (for its non doggy odour coat).Take away the wire fox terrier 3. Some of the dogs might have health problems and a couple of retrials may be necessary if it doesn't work out first try. I might take so long to make the perfect breed that you might not see the day.4.It would take way too long and there would be too many unwanted mixed breed dogs created during the process and there's no guarantee that it will work5. Totally, I would be your first buyer!! (if it turned out to be a good dog)People why are you getting so upset about this question, it's not like s/he's actually going to do it, just an idea. Have you never seen those baby name games on yahoo answers, this is pretty similar. No need to be so negative and rude, if you have nothing good to say don't answer this question "just for the points". That's not why we have yahoo answersSorry if I got a bit carried away there, but it annoys me when people post things on here that are so mean and they only do it for the points.

• I don't agree with poodle part. I know a long time ago they were used as hunting dogs but today your can rarely find a hunting poodle. I would get a Labrador Retriever because they are great hunting dogs and you could cross them with a Brittany spaniel or springer spaniel to get the pointing part in. So then you would have a medium sized dog that retrieves and points. You also said you wanted a scent dog to be bred in. I would breed in the basset hound for its great smelling abilities but you don't really have to because lab's and brittany's are also really good sniffers. Next part after you have perfected the first dog would to breed in the herding agilities. A good dog for this would either be a australian cattle dog or the australian shepherd because they just have that natural instinct and you can breed in a small aussie and since the cattle dog is already smallish you don't have to worry about that. my preference would be the aussie because of there speed so you wont even have to worry about adding a whippet or greyhound into the breed if you don't want to. And the last part is to breed in a gaurd dog. I prefer the Rottweiler because of it's stoutness. I love your plan but you just need a few pointers and help in some areas because there are better dogs out there for the trait you looking for. If you really did try and attempt this i think it would take a minimum of around 20 years to prefect the perfect dog.............EditedI would name it from where ever it was createdremoving or adding breeds: its in the paragraph up topThe down side would be that it would be hard to get every trait you want to show up and be good. You would have a good all around dog but not a dog really good at everythingWould i ever try this? I have always thought about creating a dog breed but not to this extreme. I think it would take years to perfect even the first crossIf you ever created one would i want one? I would like to meet the breed before i get one but yes maybe

• 1.What would you name it ( and don't say mutt)?It already has a name. Mongrel.2.Would you add or remove any breeds to/ from this breed to make it better?I'm not sure...are you up to 57 breeds yet?3.What would be the downside of this breed besides the obvious excess of mixed breed pups? I mean after it is created and being used worldwide as a working dogThe downside is your dog would be utterly unreliable at reproducing itself. Yours would be the sole member of its "breed". And it would never be as good as the breeds that went into it, which were bred for specific purposes. All you'd have is a hodge-podge.4.Would you ever try this?No.5. If I ever did create this breed. Would you want one?No

• First of all, you need to study genetics and each breed you choose to work with. (that would take years before you ever bred the first litter) All the breeds you mentioned wont give you just the good things about them that you want. You get all the bad too. for instance a beagle, will be a tracking type scent oriented dog keeping his nose to the ground, how do you plan on mixing him with a hearding breed which is sight oriented, and keeps there head up and scanning? you wont get a dog that is both sight and smell oriented. you will get one with neither of those traits, or a half way good part of one or the other trait, if really lucky , but that is not good enough. You will not get the best of both. Or a doberman as a free thinker then another which is one who likes to please and needs direction , this is a simplistic example and is not quite correct. but you must get the idea , You are out of your mind. Follow just one breed , and you will see that really good breeders with millions of dollars still struggle to get what they want from a breeding of just 2 top dogs, you don't get the best of both, sometimes you get the worst of both. What will you do with all the litters of pups that you bring into the world as you go on this journey to the perfect dog? You will make hundreds upon hundreds of bad mix dogs, that is what breeding is about , learning how to recognize your limitations and get the best you can come up with. Believe me many have tried , and found you need to breed for one specific need, not all of them at once. some dogs are aloof, some gregariousand people pleasers, some easy to train some awfully hard to train. I understand your lofty ideas, but it has taken hundreds of years for the breeds to come about , each is the BEST for what they do. some are water dogs , some field work ,some for herding that is why the different groups Working, herding, hounds, terriers , toys , non sporting etc.. You would have to breed for many many many years , then train each litter to assess what you have,and would probably end up with nothing that could do much. You also have to health check every dog in your breeding program, and every puppy, in eah litter, has to be trained thoroughly, to assess what you have made so far. it is expensive Hell I just payed 200 for a holter test for my bitch, and I do that every year. Also checking for genetic problems , in eyes, HIps (for displasia cost hundreds of dollarsPER TEST,) DCM for heart also , von wildebrands which is a bleeding disease prevalent in dobermans and others. Then you hae to feed and house all these dogs, exercise them, keep them clean and teach everyone to see what you have in each one.. This is a fun idea , but do it on paper, (which is all you are really doing anyway) because to do what you plan on doing, you would have to be REALLY rich..... and you would be making alot of horrible dogs along the way, that were not bred to do any one thing.. who will want all these dogs, or have you thought of that? Keep dreaming, but keep it in reality or make sure you get rich first. There is a reason people sell purebred dogs for 2000. because it cost thousands to health test and bring just one litters safely to a good conclusion , meaning healthy, good temperament , correct breed type dogs.

• You ever realize that the people on here are serious @ssholes. Come on people she isn't really going to do it. She must have said that a million times. So everyone Fu(k off and stop going hard. She isn't a BYB and the dog at the end wouldn't be a mutt if she gets it recognized by the AKC. Dogs have recently been added to the AKC breed list. like the Boykin Spaniel. Were the people in South Carolina BYBs while they were creating it. NO I would name it "the best dog ever"I would add the Yorkie because I love yorkiesIt would only be accessible to people who use them for work which would make people jealousIf I was a breeder then yea I would probably help you attempt this Yes I would want one.

• All pure breed dogs was at one time thought of as a mutt. If you try to breed a stable breed of dog it can be done. My uncle wanted to breed a all round very strong hunting dog one that could site and scent track, one that could bring down prey if they had too. And he did just that. Or I should say his sons did. They used a mix of hunting dogs. But the one breed they used the most might surprise you, APBT, yes the all dreaded pit bull. The breed as some of the best temperament of all breeds, just look up the ATTS site, they are very good trackers, can go for a long time and can bring down prey if needed. In fact my cousins use APBT as hogging dogs.

• Hmm... I know a breed that can do it all: standard schnauzer. The were originally farm dogs used for herding, ratting, guarding and sometimes hunting. Even these days some people use schnauzers as gun dogs, there are schnauzers doing agility, tracking, herding, therapy work and schutzhund.

• pointing and herding are both different modifications of the prey drive - which the sighthound uses in pure form. Getting a dog with all three conflicting responces would be like fired ice cream

• you will never live long enogh to get the dogs tested to breed and breed them to make perfect dogtakes about 75 years to do thiscost about $500k to do itit would all come down to what the "breed" does every timewith every breeding

• Ragapple: Hey don't knock the fried ice cream. After a few margaritas and some good mexican food its a good way to end the night.Personally? There are already some very versatile breeds out there already, my current breed of choice being one of them. Catahoulas can do just about everything you want in your breed other than point. #4. Nope. I got a versatile breed already in mind and the fact is you're aiming way too high and more than a few breeds you want to use, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with quality working dogs to sell you a dog for such a program. #5 Nope.