What is the difference between baying and barking?

And which dogs do which? What types of dogs bay and why? Do golden retrievers?

And which dogs do which? What types of dogs bay and why? Do golden retrievers?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the difference between baying and barking?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the difference between baying and barking?

What is the difference between baying and barking? Dog Breed Discussions
      And which dogs do which? What types of dogs bay and why? Do golden retrievers?

What is the difference between baying and barking? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Golden Retrievers bark. Hounds Bay. A Golden Retriever will make a short sharp sound like Bark! Bark! A hound draws it out and it sounds more like Brow wrow wrow wrow!

• Baying is what you hear a wolf do when the moon is full. Barking is a short, loud sound.I know that Beagles were popular for hunting because they bayed. The sound was easier to locate through a densely wooded area since it lasted longer than a bark. I'm not sure if that is the result of controlled human breeding or if there was an initial reason that Beagles do this.I have never heard a Golden Retriever bay before. Actually I haven't heard Golden Retrievers make too much noise at all.

• Beagles, Foxhounds, Harriers, Treeing Walker Hounds, Redbones, Blueticks, and Plotts bay - some have lighter bays than others- like my Redbone has a sweet sounding low howl while my Bluetick just about screeches when he howls - you'd think he was being beaten - lucky for me he's pretty quiet. My Bluetick I used to have, Dixie (Blackwell's Swamp Music) that recently passed - when I bought her the breeder gave me a copy of her sire's ad in the Coonhound Publication - he was bawl mouthed which is like a deep throaty howl that can be heard miles away (lucky neighbors, huh?). But the purpose of a bay is to let hunters know they are on a trail or have treed something based on the sound of the howl. Coonhounds that hunt don't howl until they have treed something while beagles and foxhounds often cry out - bay while hunting.