what happens to horses after they pass away?

I'm sure ppl don't bury them, or do they?Glue, what does a dead horse and glue have in common? I have no idea.

I'm sure ppl don't bury them, or do they?Glue, what does a dead horse and glue have in common? I have no idea....
    Dog Breed Discussions : what happens to horses after they pass away?...

• what happens to horses after they pass away?

what happens to horses after they pass away? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm sure ppl don't bury them, or do they?Glue, what does a dead horse and glue have in common? I have no idea.

what happens to horses after they pass away? Dog Breed Discussions
    • sometimes the owner will have the horse buried on there farm (ie, if they really love them or they are sick.) and other times a truck comes and hauls away the dead horse :( hope this helps ♥

• the good people bury them or burn them, the bad people sell them to glue factories or give them to canadians for meat. when a horse of mine died, it got buried

• If they die on a farm with a lot of land and the right equipment, they usually get buried. But if there is no space, no equipment, or city/county regulations prohibit it (water quality issues from water going into the grave and then to the stream), they can get hauled off to a rendering plant (a/k/a "glue factory"). Some people donate them to a zoo for the large carnivores to eat. In my area, we have a vet school that will take them and incinerate them or use them for vet students to study (with your permission).

• It is illegal in most areas to bury them. Pollutes the water system, especially if they've been euthanized. It's illegal to leave them out for scavengers (especially if euthanized; the scavengers'll die too). Cremation is immensely expensive - they have to go to special, oversized ovens. You cannot use the meat of a euthanized horse for anything because of the euthanasia solution.They're hauled away... and most end up in landfills. Some landfills have separate areas for dead livestock. Most do not.

• Buried my first horse,since he was the best horse I've ever owned,I knew for such a kind hearted horse he was needed to be respected so we did so and buried him..we did it was old fashion way so no strange people were there just the people who bought (us) him three and a half years ago..my mom said when I came to say good bye to him his eyes lit up when he seen me come :') really brings tears in my eyes when I think about the day he left earth,I will never forget him. I miss him so much!.

• You're supposed to call the local disposal company which hauls them away for a fee, like they do with roadkill and other large animals- It's actually illegal in most areas to do otherwise. However, if you have access to a backhoe, tractor, and live on a property large enough, it isn't uncommon for people to discretely dig a hole, chain the body to the tractor and drop it in and bury it.

• They can be buried but that's illegal in a lot of places (but some people do it anyway).They can be cremated for about $500.They can be hauled off by a rendering company for about $300. The rendering company makes them into fertilizer.

• We bury all of ours. We had a young colt that we had to put to sleep a little while ago so we buried him in the back fields right beside the pasture where his mom and sister stay(: Right beside a nice lake and under a grand tree.RIP Cooper! <3http://s582.photobucket.com/albums/ss267/heartbella1/Bella%20and%20Others/?action=view&current=cooper1.jpgAdd:It used to be a common practice to turn horses into glue. Now they don't do it near as much.They only use the hooves and skin in glue products. Hooves and skins are boiled to loosen the connective tissue (collagen.. like what makes your fingernails) and the connective tissues are skimmed off the surface of the water and the rest of the hooves and skin are discarded. They only want the collagen fibers and other connective tissues to make glue.

• Friends of ours send their horses to the Lion Park which is about 5kms down the road from where we keep horses. Because they get fed to the lions we cannot use chemical euthenation. Either the vet or a game ranger from the lion park will come and shoot the horse in the head. It might sound cruel, but a single shot in the head is quick and the horses doesn't feel anything as it's instant. It serves a double purpose, disposal of a large animal that isn't easy to dispose of and feeding the lions, tigers, and cheetahs in the farm.

• There are a variety of ways to dispose of a horse's remains, depending on how the horse died and what it died from, and on local public health laws and ordinances, JD. If the horse in question was euthanized ( meaning put down with drugs) then the standard procedure is usually to have the carcass hauled to a rendering plant to be turned into glue or leather, as NO euthanized horse can EVER BE USED for food, either for other animals or for people. I know you've probably heard all kinds of stories about how the commercial dog and cat food manufacturers supposedly use horsemeat in their products, but these stories are just THAT- they are stories, and nothing more. The TRUTH is that euthanasia solution is POISONOUS to animals and people alike- and any animal that has been killed with it cannot be used for food as a result. Sometimes, horses which have been euthanized do get buried- this is a common practice on a lot of the larger breeding farms in places like Kentucky, Maryland, Virginia, and Florida, and many of these farms actually have cemetaries on site just for this purpose. Home burial is an old, famous Kentucky tradition, in fact, and it's customary to bury the head, heart, and hooves of past champions on the farms where the animals were born. It's thought that this will bring the farms good fortune in the future, and that's why the practice came about. Home burial is also permitted in other places, as long as the owner has the space to do it safely and correctly, and in such a way as to prevent the horse's carcass from fouling the local groundwater supplies. Animals as large as horses can't be left out for scavengers, nor can they be buried in shallow graves- the grave must be at least 6 to 10 feet deep, and it must be backfilled and checked regularly for settling when the job is done.There's nothing wrong with home burial if you have the space to do it- I have known several people who buried their horses at home after the animals died in accidents or were put down because of colic or other illnesses. There are any number of famous animals which are buried at home too, including the show jumpers Gem Twist and Big Ben ( who are buried on their owners' and breeders' farms) the famous eventing pony Theodore O'Connor ( who is buried on the O'Connor's farm in Virginia) and the dressage horse Graf George, who is buried on his owners' farm. Secretariat is buried at the Kentucky Horse Park, along with several other famous horses, including the late, great John Henry. Creamation is also an option for those owners who can afford it and who want to have a permanent memento of their horse's life. But creamation is expensive- it takes a lot of fuel to turn a horse carcass into ashes, and this gets reflected in the overall cost. Also, the number of places which will creamate horse carcasses is limited- and they are few and far between. One thing that definitely DOES NOT occur is horse carcasses getting dumped in a landfill somewhere and left to rot. This presents a HEALTH HAZARD to the people who must work at the landfill, and it's ILLEGAL in most communities and states. Lastly, there are people who will elect to put their horse down by means other than chemical euthanasia, and sometimes, these animals will be sent to zoos to be fed to the big cats, or to the kennels of a local foxhound or beagle pack to be fed to them. THIS practice is more common in Europe and Britain than it is here in the States, simply because foxhunting is a national past time in Britain. This is most likely where the "horse being turned into Alpo" stories originated from, in fact. By the way, NONE of the major commercial dog and cat food makers USE horsemeat in any of their products, because this is prohibited by law in the United States. Federal truth in labeling laws require companies to list ALL ingredients used on every can of cat or dog food they make, in the order which those ingredients appear, and companies which don't comply with these laws can get into a LOT of LEGAL TROUBLE in short order. That's why they don't use horse meat, and why most of them have no history of such behavior, despite all the horror stories to the contrary. The US isn't like South Africa or Europe- when we say we don't want something, we mean it, and this is especially true where pet food is concerned.

• Many things are done as other people have said. one of my friends had a 29 year old who was euthanized and buried in the woods... done by a backhoe. another friend had two horses die, the first was an old guy that died in his stall over night, and (this is very disturbing, so I apologize) she had to call a family friend to come take care of it, which meant cutting the body apart with a chainsaw and burying him in the woods. Her other horse broke his leg, and was taken to a large animal hospital and euthanised and cremated. Horses are the worst to deal with after they are gone- just no easy way to do it!