Can a male dog carry a 3 color gene or only females?

I know a calico cat can only be female and the extra color is carried on her other X chromosome. But is that true with dogs too? Can a tricolored dog be only a female or can a male dog have 3 colors.

I know a calico cat can only be female and the extra color is carried on her other X chromosome. But is that true with dogs too? Can a tricolored dog be only a female or can a male dog have 3 colors....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can a male dog carry a 3 color gene or only females?...

• Can a male dog carry a 3 color gene or only females?

Can a male dog carry a 3 color gene or only females? Dog Breed Discussions
      I know a calico cat can only be female and the extra color is carried on her other X chromosome. But is that true with dogs too? Can a tricolored dog be only a female or can a male dog have 3 colors.

Can a male dog carry a 3 color gene or only females? Dog Breed Discussions
    • There are many male dogs that have a multitude of colors..Beagles come to mind, but there are many other dogs, mutts and purebreds alike, that are a myriad of colors.

• A male dog can be three colors. Could you possibly correct me if I'm wrong about something? (I'm being very sincere) I really don't know very much about cats, but I thought that there can be male Calico's, just that they were sterile. Is that not correct? (I probably should have asked this in the cat section, but I didn't since you brought it up here)

• Cats and dogs are very different... there are lots of 3 coloured male cats, only Calicos and Torties are "rare". Both sexes of dogs can come in any colour that is in their breed.

• Tri Color dogs can be any breed. Beagles, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Australian Shepherds all have tri-color markings and can be male or female. Many different breeds can be brindle as well, the sex is insignificant.

• I can attest to Beagles coming in a large Variety of colors...I think thye Tricolored ones have the dominant gene.Also Border Collies can be found in a very large variety of colors. Mine is very typical of the breed (Black and White with that reddish brown Border Collie Hypnotic eye) A Lady close by has me has a simply beautiful BC...Reddish color with splashes of white and the most beautiful Merl colored eyes I have ever seen...Even more beautiful than a Siberian Husky!

• Here is a fun chart for Collies (rough/smooth) that shows you the colors that they can carry and what the matings of said colors would produce. You will see that both male and females can carry several color factors.This link describes the colorshttp://www.taliesencollies.com/Collie_Coat_Color_Inheritance.htmlThis link shows the mating outcomehttp://www.taliesencollies.com/Collie_Parent_Progeny_Color_Chart.htmlMy Rough Collie is a Tri Factored Sable and she is White Factored

• I don't believe there are any sex-linked colors in dogs. Calico is sex-linked in cats; there is a gene on the female chromosome that makes the color and pattern possible; that gene is not found on the male chromosome.Certainly there are an abundance of tri-colored male dogs: all Bernese Mountain Dogs, Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs, Entlebucher Sennenhunde and Appenzellers are tri-colors. Many Fox Terriers, Beagles, Bassets, Harriers, American and English Foxhounds are white with tan and black markings: those are the classic "hound colors."If you want to research dogs and color inheritance, go to an out-of-print bookseller and ask for THE INHERITANCE OF COAT COLOR IN DOGS by Professor Clarence Little. It was printed in the 1940s, but there are copies out there.