Will i eventually be able to let my Pyr of the lead knowing that it is a breed that likes to wonder?

Will i eventually be able to let my Pyr of the lead knowing that it is a breed that likes to wonder? Will she eventually listen and hear me when i ask her to stay close and just play with the children. Or will I have to always walk with her on a leash?

Will i eventually be able to let my Pyr of the lead knowing that it is a breed that likes to wonder?

Will i eventually be able to let my Pyr of the lead knowing that it is a breed that likes to wonder? Will she eventually listen and hear me when i ask her to stay close and just play with the children. Or will I have to always walk with her on a leash?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Will i eventually be able to let my Pyr of the lead knowing that it is a breed that likes to wonder?...

• Will i eventually be able to let my Pyr of the lead knowing that it is a breed that likes to wonder?

Will i eventually be able to let my Pyr of the lead knowing that it is a breed that likes to wonder? Dog Breed Discussions
      Will i eventually be able to let my Pyr of the lead knowing that it is a breed that likes to wonder? Will she eventually listen and hear me when i ask her to stay close and just play with the children. Or will I have to always walk with her on a leash?

Will i eventually be able to let my Pyr of the lead knowing that it is a breed that likes to wonder? Dog Breed Discussions
    • it all depends on the dog. fixing the animal helps with running away. So if she is not fixed, please do so. Keep her on a long tie out of lead and when your outside see what she does. if she willingly stays close and show any signs of wanted to run, you may be safe to let her off leash. but work with her a bit so you know she is going to stay, or at least come back when called. if needed, hire a trainer to help you out that comes to your home to train.

• I would not recommend it, because as you said, they like to wander, and even if you are close they could still do that. My Husky is a runner. She is the best dog inside the house but the second she has an open door, she is gone. So she can never be trusted off the leash, unless we are in a high fenced yard

• I have a Bichon Frise, 18 months old. The breed is notoriously hard to train to be reliable with recall. They are so playful they would rather run round like lunatics, sniffing everything and foraging about looking for food than listen and come back! I have been training her a lot. She has got better, but you do need to keep in mind your dogs inherited "hot wired" behaviour instinct. No that isn't an excuse for unruly, disobedient behaviour! If you use reward based, positive reinforcement and keep training your dog you will reap the rewards in the end. Its also partly puppy behaviour. Some breeds take longer to reach maturity and continue with the puppy behaviours for longer. Just persevere. If you get yourself a 15 meter training line, you can use that to train and practise recalling your dog. That way, if the dog disobeys you have a way of making her come when you call. This stops the dog learning they can totally ignore your commands and there being no consequence. Just keep training and you will get there! Best of luck.

• Any dog can be taught a proper recall (my favorite method is Leslie Nelson's "Really Reliable Recall", which you can buy at www.cleanrun.com). No dog just learns to "listen and hear me" without training, so my advice would be to find a good positive trainer in your area, and get Leslie's DVD and follow the steps. I have four dogs, one of which is a foxhound mix (adopted as an adult dog), certainly a breed that likes to follow its nose, but he has been successfully trained to recall. That doesn't mean that I would ever just let him off leash in an unsafe area, though.

• I'm not a fan of walking a dog off lead, ever. It only takes one time for something to distract your dog and cause him to stray from your side and into the road. I don't think its worth risking your pet's life, especially in a breed that is known to roam. I've heard plenty of stories from people with breeds that were much more inclined to walk well off lead but ended up with tragic endings.

• My neighbor walks her black lab. off leash past my house every day. I have 2 obedient terriers that I wouldn't trust off leash for a minute. The first squirrel sighting and they are gone. They do come back within minutes but when there are cars around it isn't safe for them to be squirrel chasing. I suppose it depends on the dog and the area you live in.