What should I know about beagles before I get one?

I really have my heart set on a beagle and since I've never had one before I was wondering what I should know about them before I get one. A local animal shelter has about four small female beagles puppies and I'm simply in love.

I really have my heart set on a beagle and since I've never had one before I was wondering what I should know about them before I get one. A local animal shelter has about four small female beagles puppies and I'm simply in love....
    Dog Breed Discussions : What should I know about beagles before I get one?...

• What should I know about beagles before I get one?

What should I know about beagles before I get one? Dog Breed Discussions
      I really have my heart set on a beagle and since I've never had one before I was wondering what I should know about them before I get one. A local animal shelter has about four small female beagles puppies and I'm simply in love.

What should I know about beagles before I get one? Dog Breed Discussions
    • The Beagle is loving, sweet and gentle. Happy to see everyone, greeting them with a wagging tail. Sociable, brave and intelligent. Excellent with children and generally good with other dogs, but because of their hunting instincts, they should not be trusted with non-canine pets, unless they are socialized with cats and other household animals when they are young. Beagles have minds of their own. They are determined and watchful and require patient, firm training. It is important you are this dog's pack leader and that you provide the proper amount of mental and physical exercise including daily pack walks, to avoid separation anxiety. With enough exercise they will be calm. You can also purchase animal scents and play tracking games with your beagle to help satisfy their instinct to track. The Beagle does not have a normal sounding bark, but rather a loud bay cry, that almost sounds like a short howl. Beagles are curious and have a tendency to follow their own noses. If they pick up a scent they may wander off and not even hear you calling them back, or not care to listen, as they will be too busy trying to find the critter at the other end. Take care when letting them off leash that you are in a safe area. Beagles who are allowed to be pack leaders over their humans can develop a varying degree of behavior issues, including, but not limited to, guarding, obsessive barking, snapping, biting, and destructive behaviors when left alone. These are not Beagle traits, but rather behaviors brought on by lack of leadership and or exercise, from their humans. The behaviors can be corrected when the dog’s instincts are met.

• Beagles have a long history, but the most famous of them all, of course, is Snoopy, whose delight in food and travel exemplifies the breed. This small, popular trail hound, used chiefly to hunt rabbit and hare, was developed in England. The breed name is thought to have come from the Celtic word beag, meaning "small." In color and outline the Beagle resembles a miniature Foxhound. For purposes of field trialing and conformation judging, Beagles are divided into two sizes: 13 inches and under, and over 13 inches, but not over 15 inches. The Beagle makes an endearing family pet and is especially good with children. The short, hard coat may be any acceptable hound color or combination of colors. The coat is easily kept in condition by frequent rubdowns with a rough towel or hound mitt. Ears should be examined regularly, cleaned, and then dusted with antiseptic powder to prevent infection. Daily outdoor exercise is important to the Beagle, but it should be leashed or confined to a securely fenced yard when outdoors or its nose could lead it away and into trouble. Beagles fit into most households and are good children's companions and watchdogs.Forewarning; Beagles do not BARK. They bay. Which is loud and sharp sounding. It resembles a short howl.

• Some lines can be prone to epilepsy, heart disease, eye and back problems. Also prone to chondroplasia, aka dwarfism (warped front legs, like a Basset's). You can see an example of chondroplasia in a dog. Beagles will do okay in an apartment if they get plenty of chances to be outdoors. They are very active indoors and a small yard will be sufficient. Energetic and possessing great stamina, the Beagle needs plenty of exercise, including a brisk daily walk. It should have a fenced yard of reasonable size to romp in. Always use a lead when walking this breed or you will be running the risk of it disappearing in search of wild game. The Beagle's smooth shorthaired coat is easy to look after. Brush with a firm bristle brush, and bathe with mild soap only when necessary. Dry shampoo occasionally. Be sure to check the ears carefully for signs of infection and keep the nails trimmed. This breed is an average shedder.

• The Beagle is a very popular dog breed. They make excellent pets because of their great temperament and gentle disposition. However, they can be handful due to their stubbornness. Make sure that this is the breed you want before you get one.About Beagles - http://www.dog-pound.net/beagle/thoughts-before-you-buy-a-beagle.htm