what is a good breed of dog for an active person?

i want a dog that can keep up with me, i like to run everyday.i know its best to get a dog from a shelter, im just looking for a base breed to look for.i only go once a day, for about 1 hour. i want a dog that would do well in a family because i have a 1…

i want a dog that can keep up with me, i like to run everyday.i know its best to get a dog from a shelter, im just looking for a base breed to look for.i only go once a day, for about 1 hour. i want a dog that would do well in a family because i have a 1…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : what is a good breed of dog for an active person?...

• what is a good breed of dog for an active person?

what is a good breed of dog for an active person? Dog Breed Discussions
      i want a dog that can keep up with me, i like to run everyday.i know its best to get a dog from a shelter, im just looking for a base breed to look for.i only go once a day, for about 1 hour. i want a dog that would do well in a family because i have a 1 year old son as well.

what is a good breed of dog for an active person? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Any type of lab or lab mix is usually great for active people! Shepherd mixes are wonderful, too. As well as collie crosses! Just look for a medium to large size dog that is active in his kennel. Make sure he is friendly and take him out. That will give you a good idea on how active he will be. Most any friendly, active mixed breed dog would suit you well. Thank you for adopting a dog from a shelter! It is nice to finally see somebody who cares enough to adopt! You are wonderful! Akitas, malamutes, and foxhounds are all active breeds. Most hounds would be great for running.

• Get an Australian cattle dog (a blueheeler), they're really great for active people. They're extremely smart and they love being physically and intellectually challenged.http://www.dogster.com/breeds/blue_heeler

• Tons of breeds, good look at the working, sporting, and herding groups.Tony - Beagles, Quiet, Obedient? Those three words shouldnt even be in the same sentence. Beagles bay(howl) a ton, and they are one of the hardest dogs to train.

• Jack Russell TerrierBlack/Yellow/Chocolate Labrador Retriever (there are thousands of these in shelters today!)Siberian HuskyThat's just a few. If you want to find a compatible dog, try animalplanet.com/dogs dog breed selector.

• A greyhound is perfect for you! They love to run anytime and they are soooo sweet around kids and babys and everyone. I would strongly recommend this dog to any active person.

• How far? Some people like to run 30mintues? Other people like to run 4km? Other like to run 5km? Do you like to run twice a day? Most active breeds need 2km walks twice a day! One walk isn't enough for active breeds! So if you really want an active breed, think carefully because You need to be prepaired to run twice a day and at least 2miles and 2hour walks!!! Plus 3-4hours of mental stimulation!I'm quite surprised by the suggestion, many of these dogs aren't suited to small childrenAkitas, MalamutesFoxhoundsborder collieGerman ShepherdDalmation, Siberian HuskyLabradorCollie NewfoundlandGolden RetrieverAustralian Cattle DogCorgiGreyhoundGreat DaneRhodesian RidgebacksDobermanDalmationPomeranian Fox TerrierWeimeraneramerican pitbull terriers

• I have a border collie cross (I think he has some German Shepherd). He loves to run! He is super active and super smart. He runs with me twice a day. I've spent a lot of time working with him and training him and he is the best dog I could have ever hoped for.EDIT: As long as its not too hot out (he can't tolerate heat) he will happily run up to 5 miles. I've never tried further. He also loves to hike, carries his own backpack. And he's a total barrio mutt. Just landed on my doorstep one day so to speak. He's about 65 lbs now.

• i would get a hyper dog and a larger size one. You should probably think about getting a german shepard, dalmation, or a huskey. Those dogs are very active, loving anda very sweet.

• If you like to run I would suggest a bread of hunting dogs, they also like to run and its in their genes so that they don't get tired. I know also by experience that Dalmatians are VERY active dogs.