why does my beagle is a lot bigger than the average beagle?

are there two kinds of beagle?if so,what do you call their breed?

are there two kinds of beagle?if so,what do you call their breed?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : why does my beagle is a lot bigger than the average beagle?...

• why does my beagle is a lot bigger than the average beagle?

why does my beagle is a lot bigger than the average beagle? Dog Breed Discussions
      are there two kinds of beagle?if so,what do you call their breed?

why does my beagle is a lot bigger than the average beagle? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Disregard the last two answers as both are wrong.Technically, the AKC recognizes the 13" beagle and the 15" beagle, although I have read that in other countries they often recognize beagles up to 16" instead of 15". Also, the "pocket beagle" no longer exists except in reference to backyard breeders who try to breed "smaller" dogs who are often the runts to get a little beagle. However, any reputable breeder will breed dogs to the standard which is 13" or 15" as I said. Before breed standards existed, the pocket beagle was just smaller beagles.However, breeders who breed strictly for hunting/fielding/tracking might disregard the breed standard and breed beagles strictly for field performance. Thus it is entirely possible for two large 15" dogs to breed, and for some of their puppies to be bigger than normal. My dog is a 15" female and she is exactly the right height. She weighs about 30 pounds, and is not overweight at all. So, hopefully this explains the different beagle sizes for you. If your dog is any bigger than 30 pounds for a female, or 35 for a male at a healthy weight, then its very likely that you have a beagle/foxhound mix or another hound mix of some sort.Edit; Most beagles where I live are of the 13" variety which appears much smaller and only weigh about 20-25 pounds. Thus if you have a 15-16" beagle, (especially a male which is larger than a female) it will appear much bigger than most beagles that you see around your area. I think it depends on where you live.Edit Again: Both the 13" and the 15" are called beagles, its just the size difference.