First time dog owner, which breed is best?

I have never owned a dog before, but i have interacted with many dogs at the animal shelter where I volunteered so I am not new to them. I also used to have a rabbit, so im not a new pet owner either. taking this into account, which of these breeds would…

I have never owned a dog before, but i have interacted with many dogs at the animal shelter where I volunteered so I am not new to them. I also used to have a rabbit, so im not a new pet owner either. taking this into account, which of these breeds would…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : First time dog owner, which breed is best?...

• First time dog owner, which breed is best?

First time dog owner, which breed is best? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have never owned a dog before, but i have interacted with many dogs at the animal shelter where I volunteered so I am not new to them. I also used to have a rabbit, so im not a new pet owner either. taking this into account, which of these breeds would be best?Doberman PinscherScottish DeerhoundGerman ShepherdAiredale TerrierGiant SchnauzerGolden RetrieverLabrador RetrieverAmerican FoxhoundNewfoundland

First time dog owner, which breed is best? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Giant Schnauzer - doesn't shed. virtually hypoallergenicLabrador or Golden - SWEET dogs!A few of the other breeds you mentioned require a strong personality to let them know who's boss.

• These breeds are all very different and have different exercise requirements and training needs. :) That said, nobody can really say what breed is best unless you tell us a little more about your lifestyle. Do you have a time-consuming job, kids, a family? Are you active, do you like to run? Have you trained dogs before, do you know how to share your home with a high-energy breed? Do you own or rent? Do you have a fenced in yard? Do you have time for obedience classes? Will you be doing sports with your dog such as agility?

• Either the golden, lab or newfie, the others are not for first time dog owners. Owning a rabbit and owning a dog is like night and day. You can not even compair the two in terms of pet ownership. Dogs are a lot harder to train, and handle. These three are probably the best choices for a first timer. Definitely not the shepherd.

• There's certain breeds on that list that I don't much much about so I can't comment on their suitability for you but I can advise you that Dobermans and German Shepherds are definitely not for first-time owners or anyone who is weak-willed. In the right hands they can be wonderful companions but for someone who doesn't have much idea what they're getting into they can be boisterous, overly-assertive or even aggressive. Golden Retrievers and Labradors, when bred properly (so only buy from a reputable breeder, contactable via your Kennel Club), are typically easy-going dogs and ok for first-time dog owners. The problem with them is that they're so popular so they're being over-bred, creating dogs with behavioural, temperament and health problems. Like I said, to avoid this, buy from a reputable breed (or even better, rescue a shelter dog!).

• The above 3 answers are great ones and Ruby hit the nail on the head, you need to evaluate based on many different things, what breed will fit your lifestyle best. I do not reccomend the German shepherd or the doberman for a first time owner.

• Depends on what you want in the dog. German shepherds are great and helpful if you live on your own, lol. But golden retriever and labradors are also great and have very good personalities.

• good choices:Giant SchnauzerLabGoldenDobyI personally think Doby would be the best. They are being bred to be more family oriented dogs. They are protective but they are also emotionally sensitive when you yell at them. they are friendly and very loving

• Well labs and retrievers are gorgeous friendly dogs, and easy to deal with. But what sort suits you?Newfoundlands are great, but they drool a lot and shed a lot (some people find that inconvenient) and because of their size have multiple health issues. Do you want to deal with that with your first dog?We need to know more about your lifestyle. All of these dogs are brilliant, for the right owner.

• Hi! You may want to find out your perfect dog match by taking the short quiz below. The goal here is to help you figure out what type of dog best suits you and your personality.http://dogtime.com/matchup/question/1

• Those are all very different breeds. Think about what you want in a dog, and what you want to do with your dog. Do you want a jogging companion, a laze-around-of-an-afternoon type dog, or what? Do you want long fur or short? A watchdog or a guard dog?I would rule out the following: Dobies, Deerhounds, GSDs, Foxhounds -because they may need a firm, experienced owner.Out of the others, it really depends what you want in a dog.Also, just because you've owned a rabbit doesn't mean you're ready for a dog. I've owned rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, birds, cats - that doesn't mean I could handle a strong-willed breed like a Doby or GSD.

• I would definitely go with a Labrador retriever! Labs, are very nice calm dogs once they get out of their puppy stage. (Which is around 1, 1 1/2 years old). They are very teachable, and love people! Golden retrievers seem like really nice dogs, but I heard somewhere that some were more guard dogs than family dog. I'm sure you'll find a really nice dog! God Bless.

• IN MY OPINION A LABRADOR OR A GERMAN SHEPARD ....THEY ARE REALLY GOOD COMPANIONS AND REALLY SMART...FOR EXAMPLE MY DOG IS A GERMAN LABRADOR ...HIS FATHER IS A GERMAN SHEPARD ...AND HIS MOTHER IS A CHOCOLATE LABRADOR....AND HE IS VERY SMART.......AND REALLY SWEET ,BUT YOU MUST GET HIM WHILE THEY ARE PUPPIES