I just got a pitbull puppy. How do i stop the nipping?

HERES THE DEALtwo weeks ago about 4 blocks up from my house a man was gardning in his back yard while his 3 year old was playing in the sand pit when their young pit bull mauled the kid to near death.Get rid of your dog preferably put it down as this may…

HERES THE DEALtwo weeks ago about 4 blocks up from my house a man was gardning in his back yard while his 3 year old was playing in the sand pit when their young pit bull mauled the kid to near death.Get rid of your dog preferably put it down as this may…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I just got a pitbull puppy. How do i stop the nipping?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I just got a pitbull puppy. How do i stop the nipping?

I just got a pitbull puppy. How do i stop the nipping? Dog Breed Discussions
      HERES THE DEALtwo weeks ago about 4 blocks up from my house a man was gardning in his back yard while his 3 year old was playing in the sand pit when their young pit bull mauled the kid to near death.Get rid of your dog preferably put it down as this may happen in your family.these dogs were bred to be fighting dogs they have anger and killing in their blood.why would even buy such a vicious breed when you have kids do you think you are tough for having it or what.

I just got a pitbull puppy. How do i stop the nipping? Dog Breed Discussions
    • ahhhhhhhhh! never ever hit your pit bull puppy even though peopel are telling you to do this pit bulls are really senitive and only want to please you. there is many ways you can do this 1. when ever he bites you or your children startle the puppy by saying ow! then leave the room and leave it alone2. when it bites your fingers stick your fingers a little farther in its mouth and it will stop biting 3. when he bites you hold his muzzle and tell him no in a srious voicehope this helps you out thankyou

• Ok, Your wife is WAY OUT OF LINE!!! At 10 weeks, puppies have NO aggresive tendancies.A puppy nips (regardles of breed) because that is how they play with their litter mates. They learn how hard is too hard to bite by doing this. Also, a 10 week old puppy is equivalent to a toddler. Toddlers put EVERYTHING in their mouths. This is how they explore.In order to stop the nipping you need to yelp. Yes, if you yelp when she bites you, you are saying loud and clear in HER language "OUCH, that hurts, please stop!!". Also, after you yelp, gently roll her on her back, and hold her there untill she stops squirming and calms down. Look her directly in the eye, and DO NOT look away untill she does. This tells her that YOU are in charge and she gets rewarded for submitting.Here are some Pit bull facts for your wife:Even though they were bred to be dog aggressive and fight. It was VERY important that pitbulls were EXCEPTIONALLY loving and friendly to humans because they had to be able to separate a fight without fear of being bit. They also were often kept in the ouse with he family.The dog Petey from "lil rascals" was a pitbullPitbul are great dogs for kids because of there High energy level and "gameness" This term refers to the amount of pain they can tolerate. Kids can dish out alot of it, but Pits usually just take it with joy. they LOVE all the rough and tumble a kid can dish out

• At ten weeks old, she is just being a puppy and trying to play, but you definitely want to break her of the habit now. You can use a clicker or even just a metal can with some pennies in it to make a loud noise to get her attention every time she even tries to nip. Tell her "no" in a firm voice and remove her from the situation. If you have a crate for her, put her in the crate for a few minutes when she tries. You can also try spraying her with water every time she tries, unless she likes it, then this will obviously not work. Also, if she is nipping when you are playing with her, stop playing imminently, put away toys and ignore her for a few minutes. If it doesn't seem like anything is working, talk to a trainer (someone that will work with you and the dog together) to break the nipping before she gets old enough to do some damage (even if she doesn't realize she is).Most of all, make sure she is well socialized with as many people and dogs as possible. As an owner of what people consider an aggressive breed (chow chow) I know how important social interactions are to the well-being of these dogs. Take her to the pet store, introduce her to your friends, family or just go visit at the vets, just get her out around people and animals.Best of luck!

• I have owned Max for 5 years. He is pit. I got him when he was 3 weeks old. He nipped at various times during his puppy hood. He cut his teeth on my coffee table legs. But he is an awesome dog. Walk, walk, walk, they are full of energy. Wear her out. Give her rawhide chews. She will calm down. Max has. He is loving, funny, silly, protective all wrapped up in one wonderful dog. All puppies, nip, etc. no matter what the breed is. I just really think she will grow out of it. Keep her busy, and run off that "pit bull" energy. Good Luck. I have a 13 year daughter at home. She comes in after school while I am at work to her "babysitter", my pit Max. They do great together.

• "nipping" is normal puppy behavior pit bulls aren't "fighting dogs" just because they are commonly used doesn't mean they are born to fight. every puppy i've ever had has "nipped" it's their way of playing. ask a vet and prove her right. its not like your teaching him to be mean or he is being mean or biting down hard.some people are such prudes and tight wads. its awful people need to stop being so ignorant.but your wife is just worried about her kids, tell her to loosen upooo & go see a trainer they could better assist you.:( dont let her make you give her up she'll be a wonderful protector to your children and family. i forgot to mention this but i have a rotti and she was the same way she is the most affectionate dog has never hurt anyone but almost got in a fight because a dog approached one of us and lexi was not comfortable about it so she snapped the dog backed off.

• um DON"T every hit a dog. when she bits put ur hands around her snot and tell her no and that you will take her out(put her outside) after about 3 mins outside let her back in and she does the same thing repeat the process if she does it a third time take her into another room and let her sit by her. don't feel bad for her if she crys dont feel bad for her. remember if she doesnt stop while shes a puppy this behavior while be 10 times worse as an adult. ur kids are more important than the dog make sure ur kids feel comfortable around her.

• yes, a solid no, with a rolled newspaper over the nose or rearend.(not the sunday edition, just like 7 pages rolled loosely). this animal doesnt know its a dog. first break it of that and keep a chew toy handy, i suggest the neighbors poodle or cat.

• spank her or if you dont like the 'violence' then try sqirting her with a water bottle and scolding her when she does it. all puppies nip and play, it just takes time to make them learn its unacceptable.

• i have a red nose pit. she is 9 and ive had her since she was 5 weeks. you need to swat her nose EVERY time she nips.this means your wife has to do it too. there is nothing wrong with pit bulls, to all the pitbull haters out there you dont know what you are talking about. i worked for a kennel for 3 years and have seen all breeds of dogs at their worst. my pit is the smartest animal i have ever had. with your pit you need to establish dominance, she needs to know who is the boss. i trained my dog myself, however for most people obedience training is better. i highly recommend it. you will learn the proper techniques to help your puppy succeed and make everyone happy.

• I got a 10 wk old blue fawn full bred pit about 3 weeks ago after begging my wife for 2 years to let me. She is a great puppy but she has a problem with nipping. She nipped my 2 kids and wife on her feet. I know that my wife is thinking "A pitbull bit my kids" and now she is ready to get rid of her. I have tried to explain to her that it is normal puppy behavior but she is not hearing me. She thinks that she is going to attack our kids because she is a pitbull. She says "We have 2 other dogs that never bit anyone, why did she?" Over the time i have had her got relatively close with her and I dont want to get rid of her. I dont know which one of us is over reacting.