Why is it hard to find pitbull puppies at shelters? Do they become aggressive?

on tv today they said one third of the dog in shelters are pitbulls it has to be true i saw it on tv. lolthe crap you here is not even true fighters beating dogs shocking dogs baiting dogs with rabbits and catsits not truefighting dogs have to be brave-…

on tv today they said one third of the dog in shelters are pitbulls it has to be true i saw it on tv. lolthe crap you here is not even true fighters beating dogs shocking dogs baiting dogs with rabbits and catsits not truefighting dogs have to be brave-…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why is it hard to find pitbull puppies at shelters? Do they become aggressive?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why is it hard to find pitbull puppies at shelters? Do they become aggressive?

Why is it hard to find pitbull puppies at shelters? Do they become aggressive? Dog Breed Discussions
      on tv today they said one third of the dog in shelters are pitbulls it has to be true i saw it on tv. lolthe crap you here is not even true fighters beating dogs shocking dogs baiting dogs with rabbits and catsits not truefighting dogs have to be brave- beating and shocking a dog does not make it bravefighting dogs fight dogs not cats or rabbits so cat and rabbits would not help at allbeagles are baited with rabbits so they will hunt themlike coon hounds with coonspolice dogs with peoplei can believe smart people believe this crapits like iraq and chemical weapons

Why is it hard to find pitbull puppies at shelters? Do they become aggressive? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Many (not all) states will not let "aggressive" breeds in.. they put them down immediate.y.. Almost all will do so if they know the dog has been used for fighting.. Presa Canario is a rarer breed, but I have noticed them in shelters before... (really got a bad name after the Whipple case..)http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/InternationalPresaCanarioRescue/http://www.pbrc.net/

• My shelter is full of pit bull adults and puppies, so I don't know why they are not at your shelter. Is there a breed ban in your city? Or perhaps they are not a popular breed in your area. You will probably not find a presa canario dog at the shelter, they are expensive and not very common. Look at petfinder.com to find a local rescue with pit puppies, I'm sure there are at least a couple.

• Where do you live pit puppies are almost all our shelter has shelters tend to embelish on cage cards as our shelter calls them. Try petfinder.com and your local animal control. Also try animalfarm foundation.com

• First of all, I commend you for wanting to adopt a pit. I am surprised that you don't have any pit bulls in the shelters as it is said that they are one of the most common breeds that are in shelters or picked up by animal control units. Unfortunately, pits are neglected, abused, and abandoned frequently & due to the misconseption of their bad disposition they are euthanized. I own 3 pit bulls, 2 of which were rescued from abuse & neglect and they are all wonderful pets who have never shown any aggression & are are very loving. My family took in these dogs when they were severely injured & malnurished & not once have they even so much as growled at us, not even when cleaning their wounds. These are wonderful dogs & don't listen to any negitivity about them. People that down pits don't know the facts & only listen to the media blow things out of proportion. I don't know what area you live in but pits are abundant in mid-Florida at shelters & resuces. You can also find them online at dog rescue sites & also pit rescue sites. Thanks again for wanting to take one into your home & care for them. Please be a responsible pit owner......2STEP's answer is factual, pit owners know the truth...very intelligent dogs!!

• You probably won't find many, if any at all, in a shelter. Most shelters won't even take on Pit Bulls or pit bull mixes. And if they do, they do not stay long [either the dog fight owners get them, or they are put to sleep] There aren't many people out there who want pit bulls because of their bad reputation. And it's sad, they are such wonderful dogs.

• The city shelter I volunteered which was in California had tons of Pit Bull puppies all the time. Tons of adults too. They did have a policy to only have a few up for adoption at a time. This was because they only had space in their adoption kennels for 20 dogs. The Pit Bulls were slow to be adopted. So, if they put them all out in the adoption kennels, the other adoptable dogs would not get a chance of being adopted. I know many shelters don't adopt out Pit Bulls. If you become a 501c rescue, you could then ask your shelter to let you rescue any Pit Bull puppies that are brought into the shelter.

• there are usually no pit bulls in shelters or any bully breeds really because they are most often euthanized because of their reputable "agressiveness" (which i do not agree with). the shelters most likely do not want to take the chance that they mat be agressive. Try specific pit bull rescues.

• The last animal shelter I went to had all of the Pit Bulls in a completely separate area, well away from all of the other dogs. Maybe this is a routine practice at all pounds/shelters. These weren't puppies, though, they were all adult or adolescent dogs who apparently, HAD been brought-up by their idiot owners to be aggressive, only to be abandoned, poor animals. :(

• Most people, who are unfamiliar with the American Pit Bull Terrier, falsely believe that they are dangerous dogs. Unfortunately, Pit Bulls have a bad reputation because of some mean people who have abused their dogs and trained them to be aggressive. Pit Bulls are actually very stable, intelligent, and highly trainable. They are strong athletic dogs, and they require a guardian who is responsible and will give them plenty of exercise and training. They are very loving and loyal and make excellent animal companions.one of my dogs has pitbull in him, we've had him for 7 years and he only bit when he was teething. he constantly cuddles with us. he does bark and people, but lots of dogs do. he never jumps up on people, but usually whines because he wants to be pat!there are lots of things people don't know about pitbulls! read the following!Pit Bulls serve as therapy/service dogs. The Chako Rescue Association has Pit Bull therapy dogs in Texas, Utah and California. Helen Keller even had a Pit Bull as her canine companion and helper. Cheyenne and Dakota are a team of hard-working Search-and-Rescue Pit Bulls in Sacramento, California. They play an important role in their community by locating missing people in conjunction with the local Sheriff. In their off-duty hours, they do charity work as therapy dogs.Pit Bulls are one of the most stable people-friendly dogs in existence. The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and Pit Bulls placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate!Petey, the faithful dog on the TV show, The Little Rascals, was a Pit Bull. He spent countless hours with children day after day and never hurt anyone. He was one of the most intelligent Hollywood dogs of all time.learn more on http://www.austinlostpets.com/kidskorner/2October/pitbull.htm

• It my be that the area you live in has a law that does not allow people to own Pit Bulls. If you do, this breed will never be up for adoption. It may also be due to the misconception and misunderstanding that people see in Pits. This breed is dying out in many states and provinces in North America simply because people have been taught to be wary of the breed.An aggressive dog, whether it is a Pit or another breed, is euthanized by shelters as they are seen as non adoptable. Yes, tests are given and yes some are rehabilitated by the organization, but most are put down.You can try a rescue group but make sure that there are no laws where you live that disallow the owning of Pits.An aggressive trait will generally show up in a Pit between the ages of two and three years old. If handled correctly and given plenty of exercise this breed can make a wonderful pet. Pits were not bred to be aggressive with people, however they were bred to be aggressive with other dogs. If a responsible breeder sees or finds any aggression towards people they are usually euthanized to eliminate this threat.

• pitbulls generally have a bad reputation (very sad for the supersweet good dogs of this breed!) many shelters will choose not to take or keep this breed because they know they are more difficult to adopt out.also, with regards to dog fighting dogs (of any breed): they are usually very traumatized and impossible to rehabilitate.

• I go to shelters frequently and look for pitbull or presa canario puppies to rescue from the dog fighting slave owners. But I never see pitbull puppies at shelters that should be getting rescued.You guys are preaching to the choir. I don't need reasons why I should adopt pit bulls. I firmly believe that any puppy grow up properly if treated with humanity and respect.I live in a major city and the main city shelter has no idea why they never get pit bull puppies. If we rescued all the puppies then none would go to the slave owners!!

• well....pit bulls usually dont stay at shelters very long because they have a ridiculous reputation of being aggresive even though it's not their fault at all.....but you could try a pit bull rescue center there are lots of them...you just have to browse around the internet