What do I look for when buying a Pitbull puppy?

I really don't like when they grow up to be really short and big, It's hard to explain exactly what I mean but I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about. I think some people view it as being a good quality but I'd really like to find one that isn't…

I really don't like when they grow up to be really short and big, It's hard to explain exactly what I mean but I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about. I think some people view it as being a good quality but I'd really like to find one that isn't…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What do I look for when buying a Pitbull puppy?...

• What do I look for when buying a Pitbull puppy?

What do I look for when buying a Pitbull puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I really don't like when they grow up to be really short and big, It's hard to explain exactly what I mean but I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about. I think some people view it as being a good quality but I'd really like to find one that isn't so short and big when it grows. What kind of things should I look for when picking out a pitbull puppy when judging it's appearance, not it's personality.

What do I look for when buying a Pitbull puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • There is no such breed as a 'pitbull'. Please educate yourself before you decide to get a puppy. There are American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and about 20 other breeds lumped into the 'pitbull' category. Read, research, learn about the breeds, then choose the one appropriate for your home (if any). The bully type breeds require a firm and knowledgeable owner to be happy, well-adjusted, and obedient. If you are not well-experienced with dogs (and since you seem to think that 'pitbull' is a breed you probably aren't), look to another type of dog. If you decide a bully type breed is right for you, you research breeders and choose a reputable, small-scale breeder who shows their animals to their championships and health-tests prior to breeding. The American Pit Bull Terrier should the the tallest and leanest of the three most common pitbull-type breeds. If the American Pit Bull Terrier is your breed of choice, start with the United Kennel Club. They can refer you to some breeders who you should research carefuly and ask lots of questions. Wait until you find the right puppy for you and your home, do not buy the 'right now' puppy- you will regret it if you do.

• I recommend that you adopt. I adopted a 2 yr old pitbull. He's the sweetest cutest thing in the world. He's over the puppy age but still playful and fun. The most important thing is I didn't need to house train him. He already knew how. Also, when you adopt an older dog, you don't need to worry about what your puppy will look like when it grows up. What you see is what you get. Moreover, you will save a life.You can contact your local shelter. If you really want a puppy, they sometimes have puppies for adoption too. Good luck and hope you find a wonderful puppy!

• The short and stocky dogs are NOT real APBT, do not fall for any of that cr*p. The first thing you need to do is do some research about American Pit Bull Terriers, start at UKC.org and find out everything you can about breed standards-that will help you choose good breeders. Do not buy from any breeder that brags about color, size or gameness. Look for breeders that have working lines and championships-those are the dogs you want to have. You need to be prepared for A LOT of energy-i hope you like jogging because they need a couple mile run every day to be satisfied. If you can burn off the energy during the day you will have the happiest, sweetest couch potato by night time.Good luck, thank you for looking into such a wonderful breed.