What do you think is the % of mistaken identity in pitbull attacks?

It's known that sometimes people mistaken other breeds for pitbulls. I've had a few people ask if my dog is a pit and she is not. How high or low do you think is the % of mistaken identity in these reported pitbull attacks?

It's known that sometimes people mistaken other breeds for pitbulls. I've had a few people ask if my dog is a pit and she is not. How high or low do you think is the % of mistaken identity in these reported pitbull attacks?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What do you think is the % of mistaken identity in pitbull attacks?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do you think is the % of mistaken identity in pitbull attacks?

What do you think is the % of mistaken identity in pitbull attacks? Dog Breed Discussions
      It's known that sometimes people mistaken other breeds for pitbulls. I've had a few people ask if my dog is a pit and she is not. How high or low do you think is the % of mistaken identity in these reported pitbull attacks?

What do you think is the % of mistaken identity in pitbull attacks? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I would say at least half the time, probably higher. We just had one in my neighborhood that went on the news as "pit bulls attack jogger". They were purebred boxers. "Outdoor" dogs. None of them fixed. Female had a litter in the yard. Gardener left the gate open. Luckily it was an adult and not a child that happened by.

• Sorry to disappoint everyone- I love pitts very much and I wrote my college thesis on why breed banning is wrong, but in my research I did find that only 2% of attacks are cases of mistaken identity. Male, chained, un-neutered pitts are the most common attackers. However it is mainly the conditions that they are kept in (see above) that causes them to become aggressive. 98% of attacks are inflicted by dogs kept in said conditions, and more then 57 breeds have been guilty of human deaths, including dachshunds and even a yorkie! And cities that enforce a neuter/spay program have the fewest attacks, even less then cities with breed bans! I did a ton of research on this issue and it is close to my heart because I owe a pitt, and she is sweet and friendly, but people think she is a monster! You can find loads of info on pitts and rottys at www.pitbullsontheweb.com