Need good tips for getting my pitbull and golden retriever to let me clip their nails?

I have a one year all APBT that won't let me clips his nail. Ever time we grab the clippers he backs up and tries running, if I try to hold his paws he backs up and and pulls his paws away and runs away. He never barks or snaps at us like our golden…

Need good tips for getting my pitbull and golden retriever to let me clip their nails?

I have a one year all APBT that won't let me clips his nail. Ever time we grab the clippers he backs up and tries running, if I try to hold his paws he backs up and and pulls his paws away and runs away. He never barks or snaps at us like our golden…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Need good tips for getting my pitbull and golden retriever to let me clip their nails?...

• Need good tips for getting my pitbull and golden retriever to let me clip their nails?

Need good tips for getting my pitbull and golden retriever to let me clip their nails? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a one year all APBT that won't let me clips his nail. Ever time we grab the clippers he backs up and tries running, if I try to hold his paws he backs up and and pulls his paws away and runs away. He never barks or snaps at us like our golden retriever does we have to pay someone to clips hers. I really want to get our dogs to let us do it so we don't have to take them to every time to groomers which the closest one to us since we leave way out of town is an hour drive. Beau the pitbull has never had a bad experience with us clipping his nails when he was a pup he would just give us his paws but for the past 2 month he won't let us even touch him if we have the clippers he is never aggressive just whines and backs up. As long as we don't have clippers he is a very good dogs works well with kids and the other animals on the farm. The golden retriever is snappy lately because she jumped our fence and got hit by a car. She won't let anyone put my oldest daughter near her. Any good tips to get them to let's us clips their nails? thank you.Yes she has see a vet they said the car didn't hit her hard enough to break or fracture she just bruised

Need good tips for getting my pitbull and golden retriever to let me clip their nails? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Your Golden Retriever was hit by a car, and is now showing signs of pain - has she seen a vet? She probably has a fracture somewhere.Teach the Pit Bull to sit and give his paw as a trick and reward him for doing it. One of you should restrain him while the other clips the nail, and you just hold them and clip. Don't take any nonsense.

• Some one i know told me about this .he volunteers at a shelter and it worked wonders for a shelter dog .Use treats and offer a treat for a nail the dog should pick up on this .So if he lets you clip one nail offer a treat and keep doing that .may take time but it worked for this shelter dog that would not let any one clip his nails .

• Wow, you are lucky that the GR wasn't hurt seriously. You are also lucky that the driver of the car didn't sue you for any damages. You are also lucky that you weren't cited by animal control for violating the leash law.Buy a Dremel. This is unacceptable behavior, and shouldn't be tolerated. Regular dog toenail clippers leave jagged ends.Pit Bull is two words.