what breeds are known to be escape artists?

I've heard that Siberian Huskies are escape artists. Any other breeds?

I've heard that Siberian Huskies are escape artists. Any other breeds?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : what breeds are known to be escape artists?...

• what breeds are known to be escape artists?

what breeds are known to be escape artists? Dog Breed Discussions
      I've heard that Siberian Huskies are escape artists. Any other breeds?

what breeds are known to be escape artists? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Really, I think it is any high energy dog that doesn't get enough stimulation, either physical or mental. Dogs like Siberian Huskies, Jack Russel Terriers, Border Collies. And also intact male dogs looking for that female in heat that they can smell. But this is just based on my experience, I don't have any statistics.

• Doberman Pincher's, German Shepherd's, Shiba Inu's, Siberian Husky's, Beagle's, Border Collie's, Anatolian Shepherds, Golden Retriever's is all i can think of but i'm sure there's more.

• any type of dog can be an escape artist, it just depends upon the individual dog. we had a pointer that could escape from any and every type of restraint we came up with! we started with collars,then harnesses(slipped them all). then we tried different fences. he either climbed over, went through, or went under each of them! while we were in the process of making a kennel with both an enclosed top and a cement bottom, he got loose again. we never did find him,(posters everywhere, all animal shelters for half a year). :-((

• Hounds follow their noses...that means out of crates, under fences, and over hill and dale.My basset went wherever his nose drew him as a puppy, no matter what silly obstacle the humans put in his path.The wandering went away with age and weight, thankfully.

• I've had dogs dig under my fence, go over my fence, and even through my fence. But I've never had a dog until now that OPENS the handle on the gate with his nose to let himself out. I have a Dachshund/Fence Jumper mix that nudges the handle up on my chainlink fence gate and gets out. After I figured that out all I had to do was tie my gates with bungees, and he's been in the yard ever since. Dachshunds are also bad about digging out.

• I'm amazed no one mentioned American Pit Bull Terriers. I know of one that climbed a ten foot fence at a kennel. My friend's pit has figured out numerous ways to get over her six foot fence. They're brilliant dogs. Where there's a will there's a way, and pit bulls have amazing wills. =DIn my experience with rescue dogs, I've found that APBT's, Huskies, Jack Russell Terriers, Border Collies, Collies, Beagles, Labs, and any mixes of them tend to be master escape artists. However, ANY dog has the capability, so please don't pick or shun a dog based on breed alone.The most important things to think about when escape-proofing your yard are height, depth, and boredom. Is the fence high enough that it cannot be scaled? Can it be climbed? Chain link fences are easily climbed, as are wooden fences that have the crossposts on the inside of the fence. Are all of the fence pieces secure and whole? How deep does the fence go? If it doesn't go very deep into the ground, are there other deterrents to keep the dog from digging, like rocks or chicken wire placed on the ground? And, is the dog bored? Placing interesting toys and treats in various spots of the yard will keep many dogs entertained enough that they'll never wonder what's on the other side. Kongs work great here, stuff treats and cheese or peanut butter in the holes. Also, vary the toys... a couple of tennis balls, a rope toy, a rubber chew toy, a squeaky stuffed toy, etc. And nothing beats spending quality time with the dog in the yard. =)

• We've had two Siberians that were great escape artists. One could climb virtually any fence known to man. The other one dug under the fence faster than I could patch the holes, until one time she got out and got into something that nearly killed her. After that, she seemed content to stay in the yard.I've got on mixed breed that's pretty good at escaping.

• wolves and wolf hybrids are escape artist as are dogs descended from wolves . Louisiana catahulas are knows as leopard dogs because of there strange ability to climb trees. hound dogs tend to be fairly good at escaping to.

• Any of the hunting breeds, the hounds, and any of the runners-like greyhounds and huskies. This would include the pointers, the ratters, etc. Retrievers can be different. I have owned herding breeds for many years and have had no running away issues at all. They can be taught their boundaries quickly and usually adhere to them quite easily. The little terriers are pretty good escape artists as well. They just have so much curiousity that they dart right out the door to see what is going on in the world.