Is there a way to get my chow/lab mix dog certified that she is not a threatening animal to anyone?

I know for insurance purposes, most renters in California won't allow people with chow-chows or chow mixes to move in...but is there any way to work around that? Perhaps if I got my own insurance liability policy for her? Or are there any organizations…

Is there a way to get my chow/lab mix dog certified that she is not a threatening animal to anyone?

I know for insurance purposes, most renters in California won't allow people with chow-chows or chow mixes to move in...but is there any way to work around that? Perhaps if I got my own insurance liability policy for her? Or are there any organizations…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is there a way to get my chow/lab mix dog certified that she is not a threatening animal to anyone?...

• Is there a way to get my chow/lab mix dog certified that she is not a threatening animal to anyone?

Is there a way to get my chow/lab mix dog certified that she is not a threatening animal to anyone? Dog Breed Discussions
      I know for insurance purposes, most renters in California won't allow people with chow-chows or chow mixes to move in...but is there any way to work around that? Perhaps if I got my own insurance liability policy for her? Or are there any organizations that can do some sort of behavior testing to certify she is 100% tame? My dog was a stray, and looks like a possible chow/lab mix. She has never had any trouble with strangers, she never bites or growls. She is actually the most peacful, happy dog I've ever owned. I need a place to live with her but no one will take us! Please help with your advice. Thanks.

Is there a way to get my chow/lab mix dog certified that she is not a threatening animal to anyone? Dog Breed Discussions
    • 2 things that you can do that may help is have it go through the CGC testing offered by the AKC. CGC stands for Canine Good Citizen. You can also have it certified as a therapy dog. The testing is a bit harder, but once you have that, there will never be a question.

• I run into the same problem a lot of times because my girl is an Anatolian Shepherd/Great Pyrenees mix plus she is almost 28" and 100lbs. I've had people look at her and back up, women grab their purses like she will mug them and parents grab their kids and walk the other way, it's insane. So far, I've had my girl CGC tested and certified as a therapy dog with Therapy Dog, Inc. (I want to try Delta, but am having a hard time getting them to call me back). Anyways, something else you might want to look into that I am waiting for a test in my area on, is the American Temperment Test Society (link posted below). My recommendation is to get as many "titles" on your girl as you can. That is what I am doing mainly to make it easier for her to be accepted and because after awhile it's fun.

• The insurance purpose is that most insurance companies won't write an insurance policy if you own a chow, doberman, pitt, Rott or even a Saint Bernard. Statistics show these dogs often have aggressive tendencies.

• Not any that I am aware of. You may find it hard because most lab/chow mixes are extremely aggressive and their owners are usually in the dark about this kind of behavior. You should always be very careful with your dog around other people no matter how she has acted in the past with other people.