I have a Aussie/Anatolian pup. 8 weeks old 8 lbs His legs are short, will he be a short dog or will they grow?

His mom was an Anatolian Shepherd (large breed) and his dad was an Australian Shepherd but I'm not sure how big they were exactly. I'm not sure why his legs are short.

I have a Aussie/Anatolian pup. 8 weeks old 8 lbs His legs are short, will he be a short dog or will they grow?

His mom was an Anatolian Shepherd (large breed) and his dad was an Australian Shepherd but I'm not sure how big they were exactly. I'm not sure why his legs are short....
    Dog Breed Discussions : I have a Aussie/Anatolian pup. 8 weeks old 8 lbs His legs are short, will he be a short dog or will they grow?...

• I have a Aussie/Anatolian pup. 8 weeks old 8 lbs His legs are short, will he be a short dog or will they grow?

I have a Aussie/Anatolian pup. 8 weeks old 8 lbs His legs are short, will he be a short dog or will they grow? Dog Breed Discussions
      His mom was an Anatolian Shepherd (large breed) and his dad was an Australian Shepherd but I'm not sure how big they were exactly. I'm not sure why his legs are short.

I have a Aussie/Anatolian pup. 8 weeks old 8 lbs His legs are short, will he be a short dog or will they grow? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I have one dog that is half Blue Heeler (cattle dog) and half mini Australian Shepherd and he's 55# as an adult. Puppies always have short legs. In large breeds their first growth is in the legs, and sometimes the legs grow at uneven rates so the gait looks awkward at times. But your dog's legs will grow and he may be a medium/large dog like the Aussie, or he may be large like the Anatolian. He may have short hair or may have long hair. It's hard to know how big he'll get because it depends on what genetic makeup he inherited. In the litter, some will get taller like the Anatolian and others will not. And if the Aussie parent was a mini Aussie, then the dog could be about mid sized like mine. I think 55# qualifies as large breed, but it's the small end of large which can range anywhere from about 60# up to 200#. His legs will grow from 2 months to at least 5 or 6 monts of age... and he may reach close to his adult size at about 9 months of age, but after that he'll continue to grow more slowly till about age 2 and so about 9mo you'll have a fair idea of his adult size -!-

• Good luck with your puppy!It's hard to know what you mean by 'short' legs? If you can put a picture online showing a front view, and a profile view, that might help... and can possibly rule out achondroplasia (dwarfism).Generally speaking, the weight of most medium to large dogs at one year is usually three times the weight of the pup at three months. At one year, most of the growth is finished, although there can still be a little more growth. It sounds like your pup will be a medium sized adult. Some medium and larger dogs are not mature until 2 or 3 years old. I do a lot of research on Turkish dogs. I have a chart on Anatolian Shepherd Dog growth at the following link.http://www.cobankopegi.com/blog/2005/07/anatolian-shepherd-dog-puppy-growth.htmlYou can visit my Yahoo profile for more information on Anatolian Shepherd Dogs.