How much does it cost to buy an English Shepherd puppy?

hi i am in Australia and i love English Shepherds! I'm just wondering how much they might cost.. and i would less likely buy one from the pet shop most likely from a breeder! thnkz!English Shepherd or Australia Sheep dog aren't they CUTE!

hi i am in Australia and i love English Shepherds! I'm just wondering how much they might cost.. and i would less likely buy one from the pet shop most likely from a breeder! thnkz!English Shepherd or Australia Sheep dog aren't they CUTE!...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How much does it cost to buy an English Shepherd puppy?...

• How much does it cost to buy an English Shepherd puppy?

How much does it cost to buy an English Shepherd puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      hi i am in Australia and i love English Shepherds! I'm just wondering how much they might cost.. and i would less likely buy one from the pet shop most likely from a breeder! thnkz!English Shepherd or Australia Sheep dog aren't they CUTE!

How much does it cost to buy an English Shepherd puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I don't know how much this kind of puppy costs, but have you considered going to a shelter and getting a dog? There are so many dogs in the world who need homes. I am not a big proponent of making more dogs or encouraging people to make more by buying them.If you rescue a dog from an animal shelter, it's true that you may not get the exact breed that you were looking for. But, in the end, it will not matter. Not only will you have a new companion that I'm sure you'll love just as much, but you will also feel very good about yourself because you will know that you gave a dog-in-need a good home.Please think about it.Good luck ... whatever you decide!!! :)

• There is no such things as an "English Shepherd".Every breed recognised by at least one of the international kennel controls (yours is the ANKC) is listed in the web-site of the FCI: http://www.fci.be/nomenclatures_detail.asp?lang=en&file=group1 but you won't find any mention of an English Shepherd there.Nor will you find it in the ANKC's web-site: http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds.asp?gid=5 but the drawings there might help you get the right breed-name.Sheep dogs come in 3 basic types:(a) boundary patrollers such as the Belgian Shepherds and German Shepherd Dog.(b) cutting-out dogs such as the Border Collie and the doubly-misnamed Australian Shepherd.(c) guarding dogs, such as the Anatolian Shepherd and the Old English Sheepdog.The task they were selected for decides their size, appearance and character.So YOU need to know exactly what you are talking about before you start looking.The price you pay should reflect what you are paying for.Top value is from a breeder who uses only stock that has -(1) been certificated in all the appropriate "health schemes";(2) has grading or placing certificates from shows held by that breed's breed clubs;(3) has training qualifications from tests or trials appropriate to that breed.(Which schemes & qualifications are appropriate varies from breed to breed)In my breed such a pup is likely to cost a little over Au$1000 and(4) will come with a guarantee stating what the breeder will do if any of the genetic "unthinkables" occurs.The fewer of the above 4 important aspects apply to whatever pup you are considering, the greater the risk that the pup will develop various genetic disorders or is physically/mentally untypical of that breed.NEVER buy from an agent (such as a pet store) because that way you are separated from the breeder and have no caring person to go to for advice.You CAN get some wonderful dogs from rescue groups (as did a blind pen-friend who chose a GSD off "Death Row" and trained it to be her guide dog) BUT! - most of the dogs put into rescue are there because of problems (health or behaviour), and it takes real experience to know whether YOU might be able to overcome those behaviour problems and can afford the treatment for those health problems.Once you know which breed you really mean, go tohttp://groups.yahoo.com/and type that breed's name into the search box there.If you like the sound of a group that is in the list, click on its name to go to its Home Page.Read the "mission statement" at the top of the group's Home Page then, if they seem to want to talk about what you want to ask, scroll down to the Monthly Activity "calendar" to see whether the group is almost dead, or producing more traffic than you can cope with, or about right.Some groups will let you look through past messages, so that you get a "feel" for how its members behave.If you like what you see, click the [Join] near the top of the page.You could join more groups than you can handle, then later drop out of those that turn out to be unsuitable for your needs.Although http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source is intended for GSD people, most of what is there applies to all breeds, making it a handy reference source about disorders you hear mentioned and various "jargon" words and abbreviations that doggy people use.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967