Round two : What do these guardian breeds remind you of/opinion of them?

KuvaszCarpathian Shepherd Dog (Romanian Shepherd)OvcharkaTibetan MastiffAnatolian Shepherd DogKangalGreat Pyrenees MaremmaKomondorLegit :: How long does it take you to train a dog in obedience and what methods do you use?

KuvaszCarpathian Shepherd Dog (Romanian Shepherd)OvcharkaTibetan MastiffAnatolian Shepherd DogKangalGreat Pyrenees MaremmaKomondorLegit :: How long does it take you to train a dog in obedience and what methods do you use?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Round two : What do these guardian breeds remind you of/opinion of them?...

• Round two : What do these guardian breeds remind you of/opinion of them?

Round two : What do these guardian breeds remind you of/opinion of them? Dog Breed Discussions
      KuvaszCarpathian Shepherd Dog (Romanian Shepherd)OvcharkaTibetan MastiffAnatolian Shepherd DogKangalGreat Pyrenees MaremmaKomondorLegit :: How long does it take you to train a dog in obedience and what methods do you use?

Round two : What do these guardian breeds remind you of/opinion of them? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I have a friend with a komondor named TANGLE, great name for one.He is only 7/8 months old at the moment and she calls him a giant strip of VELCRO as EVERYTHING sticks to him. He is just starting to go into his BRILLO PAD stage before maturing as a MOP the other end. lol. How long to train in obedience is a difficult one as the answer really is that it is endless depending on the quality required,

• These are all some very serious breeds you have listed here. I am familiar with a couple in first hand experience, my relatives back home owned a few of them as their working farm dogs.Not the breeds for the inexperienced or light hearted individual.In their pure form, they remind me of what a true guardian breed is and how one should function. Thankfully they do not have a big following among the "pet" enthusiasts and maybe they will survive a little longer.It takes me about 4 weeks to do basic on leash OB, depending on the dog too of course and I use methods that have been tried and true.Reward and compulsion, the only methods that truly work.Hope I helped!!

• Kuvasz- Great with live stock, The only thing I keep thinking of is Homeward Bound 2 (I know its bad)Carpathian Shepherd Dog (Romanian Shepherd)- Is a real recognized breed unlike what miss think she knows it all says. (FCI recognized)Ovcharka- strong willed, strong headed large working dog, not for everyone, and is also a real recognized breed. (FCI recognized)Tibetan Mastiff- Lovely dogsAnatolian Shepherd Dog- Temperament can be flighty, another strong willed working dog, have seen too many in the hands of people who can't control them Kangal- Similar to the Anatolian but slightly bigger, stronger level temperament, a real recognized breed. 300 were given to various farmers in an attempt to conserve cheetahs. (ANKC recognized)Great Pyrenees- Gorgeous dogsMaremma- Another real recognized breed, similar to both the kuvasz and pyrenees, they are in the middle. (KC, FCI, NZKC, ANKC recognized)Komondor- Big mops, Quincy one of the top winning komondor's who i have seen quite a few times I believe he is retired now. I know some people who handle them, I believe they are scottish cause the guy is almost always wearing a kilt. Legit- It only took a year and a half to train my oldest weim girl that is mainly cause we were focusing on conformation first and the breeder had maxxi with her for a while (we were socializing and working with a deaf dalmatian for an ex-friend at the time, who was a friend at that time) the youngest has taken longer because by the time she was ready I was off to college, and no one was working her while I was gone so I had to start pretty much all over again, but she picked it up fast and now has 1 leg towards her CD, we will be working on Rally-o for an RA once I can get a course.But it only took a couple weeks to get basic obedience all down packed at first, they only problem was the road bumps so to speak.

• You're asking a question that would take many paragraphs to answer. My favorites in that list are the Pyr and the Komondor. In second place I'd put the Maremma. I'd put the Kuvasz and Anatolian below that as they are more aggressive and more likely to attack first rather than intimidate first. I can't speak to the other breeds as I don't know some, and don't know enough about others.Noone can tell you accurately how long it takes to obedience train any dog breed. This is because it's all dependent on the dynamic between the owner/trainer and the dog, and this varies from person to person and from dog to dog. We each have our own personalities that affect how training goes. The more intelligent dogs that were bred to make independent decisions are more challenging to train. Dog breeds like herding dogs were bred to work with a handler and therefore are easier and faster to train. It would be foolish for me to try to put a time frame on how long it takes to train my dogs. A time frame is unnecessary and irrelevant. What IS important is effectiveness of the training, NOT how fast I can do it. My methods are my methods. I have various methods and I have a yahoo group I can get assistance from if my methods aren't working the way I want them to. You are asking for too much when you want me to tell you what methods I use. In brief, I believe in using training treats with praise, and positive reinforcement to train. I also believe that the most important thing I train the dog to know is that -I- am the pack leader. I'm a strong, firm but loving alpha pack leader. So the dogs are more likely to do what I wish in order to please me. The specifics would take several webpages to explain and there's not room for that here. -!-

• I really enjoy a Kuvasz and Komondor. A good buddy trained the Tibetan Mastiff for "Mans Best Friend"....he liked him, but I don't have much use for them. I've trained a few Great Pyrenees' and didn't like them. Other than that, I don't know that I've trained any of the others, so couldn't make an educated statement.If i'm in a hurry, I can crank out on-leash in 10-12 days if it's not a "problem dog"....a 4-5 month old puppy quicker. Our basic off-leash course takes about 6 weeks. I use a variety of techniques depending on what the dog "brings to the table". Basically, when he's finished, a dog is going to obey...or else. Force/compulsion is the only reliable way to train a dog for all situations....even if it starts with treats and a ball. Of course, the dog is always praised for complying.

• Kuvasz - Underestimated and very intelligent dogs.Carpathian Shepherd Dog (Romanian Shepherd) - Huge dogs that require a dedicated owner.Ovcharka - Pure aggression wrapped up in a furry coat.Tibetan Mastiff - Gorgeous dogs, reminds me of all the ancient breeds.Anatolian Shepherd Dog - Don't know a lot about them.Kangal - Working dog.Great Pyrenees - Again don't know a lot about them but they are beautiful dogs.Maremma - Only know of them to see.Komondor - Big mops.All require a very experienced owner.I take however long it takes. My BC learnt very quickly, in a matter of weeks. My German Shepherd took a little longer, because he is a more independent. A few months i think. I have a Malamute who is still a puppy and he has been a bit more challenging. He has got most of the obedience training and is very intelligent, i am still ongoing in teaching recall (big surprise with a mal!).I train my dogs by having them learn a behavior by reinforcing it - sitting, staying. Rewarding them when they do that. Getting them to connect an act with a command.When i am confident they have learned a command i will have them repeat it in a new environment - at the vets office, outside, around other dogs.When they can understand i will start disciplining them for not following commands.