Can anatolian shepherds be just a campanion dog that doesnt herd animals?

I want one but i have read answers on other threads that says they should only be used for live stock please help. i have enough time and space for it.

I want one but i have read answers on other threads that says they should only be used for live stock please help. i have enough time and space for it....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can anatolian shepherds be just a campanion dog that doesnt herd animals?...

• Can anatolian shepherds be just a campanion dog that doesnt herd animals?

Can anatolian shepherds be just a campanion dog that doesnt herd animals? Dog Breed Discussions
      I want one but i have read answers on other threads that says they should only be used for live stock please help. i have enough time and space for it.

Can anatolian shepherds be just a campanion dog that doesnt herd animals? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Aussies can make family pets but they can tend to be a little neurotic because they are high energy. They will always have the herding instinct in them. They need a lot of exercise more than what people expect. Some can be very laid back type personality and very few don't have that herding instinct. I wouldn't suggest this dog to someone who doesn't have a large yard, and active life style though. One who does it would make a great companion.

• Anatolian Shepherds are a GUARDIAN breed and really don't herd much of anything... they CAN be a fine pet, but tend to be territorial and can be over-protective.The need lots of space and a firm, gentle hand.I would NOT recommend them to someone looking for a "friendly, obedient, family dog", someone living in an urban or suburban situation, or someone either very extroverted or very laid-back in temperament.This organization has more breed information as well as how to find good breeders or dogs in rescue: http://www.asdca.org/

• Anatolian Shepherds were originally bred in Turkey for (the obvious) guarding of stock from the lands predators. Being a large breed of dog they need a large yard and would be happy with acreage, as for them not making great companions I would have to disagree. Anatolians when with the right owner from puppy hood can make fine companions.As long as you the owner are knowledgeable on the breed and its needs I see no issues with them, also research it's breeding lines.I have heard some lines are bred to have that stronger guarding line while some breeders are breeding away from such thing very much like the Great Dane(Which before it was known as the Gentle Giant was anything but that). Exercise, discipline and affection are key, but also strong socialization from very early on in its puppy years are key to prevent any aggression towards other people and dogs.