The family dog is too attached to my older sister,PLEASE HELP with getting to be the FAMILY dog?

We have a Kelpie Border Collie mix that my dad adopted 3 years ago when he was a puppy at 12 weeks and his name is Royce. I think he is way too attached to my older sister, like he relies on her too much than he should, but then she is basically with the…

The family dog is too attached to my older sister,PLEASE HELP with getting to be the FAMILY dog?

We have a Kelpie Border Collie mix that my dad adopted 3 years ago when he was a puppy at 12 weeks and his name is Royce. I think he is way too attached to my older sister, like he relies on her too much than he should, but then she is basically with the…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : The family dog is too attached to my older sister,PLEASE HELP with getting to be the FAMILY dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The family dog is too attached to my older sister,PLEASE HELP with getting to be the FAMILY dog?

The family dog is too attached to my older sister,PLEASE HELP with getting to be the FAMILY dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      We have a Kelpie Border Collie mix that my dad adopted 3 years ago when he was a puppy at 12 weeks and his name is Royce. I think he is way too attached to my older sister, like he relies on her too much than he should, but then she is basically with the dog a lot too. My dad did get him at a really bad time, he had loads of work and I had all my school stuff. Apart from studying i have ballet and Karate which takes up all my time. My sister didnt have any extra curriculum activities but now her time is filled up with College and some activities that she and a bunch of her friends do at one of their houses with their dogs: frisbee Sports and agility. Which I think is ridiculous.He sleeps with her on her bedHe follows her around the home EVERYWHERE.He will not eat unless its her feeding him. me and my dad have tried and he will just ignore his food even when we try to implement what she does (my sister gets him to sit,wait and then eat when she says 'eat'. Royce doesnt seem to listen to us)When he is eating he will grab whatever is on offer (he is fed raw) locate my sister and then eat it in her presence, like right besides. Its bloody weird.If my sister is gone he acts all depressed,whines for a couple of minutes when she leaves and will then go all emo and lay on my sisters bed waiting for her to come back. he will NOT move to go to the toilet, my dad has to carry him out a couple times (thank god hes lite)He even does this creepy staring thing at me and my dad when we approach my sister with Royce there.He HATES me cuddling himHe HATES me bathing himHe HATES me trying to exercise himhe MISBEHAVES on days I try to take him out to the Park. He doesnt listen to me when I call him back.But with my sister he LOVES it all and acts like a good dog !?!. Im doing the whole Positive crap, but still wants nothing to do with me.HOW CAN I FIX THIS PLEASE? Id appreciate the FAMILY dog wanting to get along and spend time with the other FAMILY members.When my sister comes home Royce gets EXTREMELY excited. He whimpers,cries,tail wagging and sort of wipes his body over her like a cat would and then grips onto her clothes and just holds on while she walks around with him attached.

The family dog is too attached to my older sister,PLEASE HELP with getting to be the FAMILY dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Dogs like who they like. Not much you can do about this. Sounds like this dog bonded with your sister early on, and for good reason. She's the one who spent time with him and cared for him. It does sound like the bond is very strong, but that's how some dogs are wired.You sound a little jealous - but you can't TRAIN a dog to love you. It's something that just happens or it doesn't

• Both of the breeds of this dog are meant to WORK and are miserable without some kind of work to do. Playing Frisbee, doing Agility and dog sports are good substitutes for herding sheep long hours every day. It is easy to see why the dog would be so attached to your sister, as she is the only one who works the dog.All GOOD herding breeds have a staring kind of gaze. YOU CAN'T FORCE A DOG TO LOVE YOU. You can't buy a wag of its tail. The dog has made its choice and it is settled, as far as the dog is concerned. Try not to be jealous. This kind of dog makes a very strong attachment. While the dog may have been acquired with the thought of it being a family dog in mind, the dog is clearly your sister's dog and that's how it is going to stay. These things happen.See if your father will let you have a dog or some other pet of your own.

• The dog doesn't respect you guys, he sees your sis as the leader. You guys just have to be consistent so he will listen to you guys as well. Like the feeding if you guys really want to do it, your sister should not feed him and let you guys do it so he can get used to you guys feeding him. Dogs will not go hungry eventually he'll eat. For the bathing as well he needs to get used to you bathing him. As for the bond he has with your sis that's normal my dogs are attached to me and follow me everywhere but they don't do that with my husband. That's because I'm the one who does everything for them and taken care of them since day one. Our dogs listen to both of us that is because we both are the leaders in our house. Ceasar Milan's website will help I've learned a lot from his shows and his site check it out you can get help on training your dog

• It has already been several years so there's probably no changing who he likes now. His connected with your sister right from the start, so is therefore naturally attached to her. Since you and your dad did not have time for Royce when you first got him, he probably feels that you do not like him as much and so he stays away from you. It's also possible that he senses something in you that he doesn't like, since dogs are really good at that.I know this is completely different, but when we used to have two cats, one of them would completely ignore everyone and would not allow anyone to touch her. She was only friends with our other cat and spent every minute with him practically. It took him dying, for health reasons, for her to open up to us. This kind of relates to your situation. Royce is just too attached and won't detach until your sister moves away. There's nothing wrong with that. You obviously missed out on your opportunity to befriend him.

• Playing sport with friends and their dogs is NOT ridiculous in any way. It is fun for the dog.Sounds like you are super jealous of your sister. Stay active with your ballet and karate and friends and don't stress about this too much. Somehow this dog has become very attached to your sister. There's not much you can do about it. When your sister is home, pet the dog and play with him. He'll be in a good mood since she is there.