Newly adopted shelter dog with severe phobia of men, out of ideas for what to do?

I adopted a 2 year old Kelpie from a shelter, and only found out yesterday that he has a horrible phobia of anything connected to males - smelling them, hearing their voice, anything sends him into a VICIOUS barking, snapping frenzy which he has…

Newly adopted shelter dog with severe phobia of men, out of ideas for what to do?

I adopted a 2 year old Kelpie from a shelter, and only found out yesterday that he has a horrible phobia of anything connected to males - smelling them, hearing their voice, anything sends him into a VICIOUS barking, snapping frenzy which he has…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Newly adopted shelter dog with severe phobia of men, out of ideas for what to do?...

• Newly adopted shelter dog with severe phobia of men, out of ideas for what to do?

Newly adopted shelter dog with severe phobia of men, out of ideas for what to do? Dog Breed Discussions
      I adopted a 2 year old Kelpie from a shelter, and only found out yesterday that he has a horrible phobia of anything connected to males - smelling them, hearing their voice, anything sends him into a VICIOUS barking, snapping frenzy which he has difficulty recovering from. I've tried introducing a few friends to him on neutral territory, and having them throw toys for him, give him his food bowl, or simply stand there and he goes ballistic every time. The few times he seems to finally mellow out, all of the sudden he'll snap and freak out on whoever the male in question is, he lunged at one friend today and bit a chunk out of his leg. Please help, I'm at my wits end and do not want to send him back to the pound but I cannot have a dog that refuses to even hear a male voice without going crazy, and wants nothing to do with our "desensitizing" sessions (other than this issue, he is a fantastic, smart dog).

Newly adopted shelter dog with severe phobia of men, out of ideas for what to do? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Interesting... your dog with a male phobia...He is probably a little bit protective about becoming an AlphaMale. He probably wants to scare off the males so he can be head honcho.

• Sounds as if your pup was abused. This will take a lot of time and patience on your part. You also need to be aware that there is a possibility this will never go away. Sometime abused dogs just dont get over it. First, let your dog become used to you and his new environment (at least a week maybe two) then you can try a slow interaction. find the calmest most patient man you know with the softest least-deep voice the first few times dont have him interact with the dog just have him in the house where the dog can see/hear/smell him, if the dog comes over or anything then your friend can acknowledge him by speaking in soft soothing tones and crouching down to his level so he is less threatening. once the dog is used to that friend coming over then try to have them interact. This will not be a quick process it could take month or even years and, as i mentioned it may never get better. now is the time to decide if this is something you can handle and deal with if not it would be best to give him back to the shelter before it becomes too used to its new home. I hope things work out for you. good luck.

• It sounds bad, but can you find a girly-kind of guy? Maybe a young boy, or someone who's a little metrosexual? That might be an easier transition. Look for someone with a high-toned voice like a woman, a slight build, and no facial hair.Alternately, try having a guy help you out by showering with your bath products and not using any masculine smelling colognes or aftershaves. Either way, make sure whoever it is stays as close to the dog's level as possible, instead of standing over him. Have him talk in a very soft falsetto. It might be best to start with a walk instead of a head-on interaction. Walk the dog, and start with the guy walking on your other side. Then have the guy walk on the other side of the dog. Then simply hand the leash over while still walking and have the guy walk the dog. Then move to the other side of the guy so it's just the two of them walking. You might consider purchasing a soft, comfortable muzzle for your training sessions- you don't want anyone to get hurt.It's obvious he either has never seen men (might have lived only with a woman) or was badly abused by one. Either way, this is going to be a very long road for him, so please be patient and don't send him away. He just needs lots of time to recover, but I'm sure he'll make it.

• ooohhh this is a tight situation aaahhhhhh, depends how many males live with u. it was probably attacked or abused by males or just one male ohhhh sorry cant rea;lly think of anytin dont know your reasourses sorry to waste ur time oh and wouldint it have a phobia aginst him self.

• Try leaving on a male voice on the radio or TV during the day to help him first adjust to the idea without there being a person there. This is safer for everyone involved. Next, incorporate an object of clothing that has a male scent. Make it present during feeding or just around the house, maybe during play time. Then, present a real male to him, but from behind a closed door at first. Let the male's presence be known, have him speak and call to the dog, and his scent be in the air. Next, try a clear door or window so the dog can see the man too. Through this GRADUAL conditioning, the dog can become more comfortable with the idea of males. If these do not work, a trainer or even psychologist may be needed to rehabilitate the dog. It is possible the dog was abused, or just associates males with something bad, whether it be being replaced as the alpha male or perhaps neglect when a male figure entered the household. This could very possibly be why the dog was put in the pound to begin with.

• Take her to the vet and he will direct you in the way you should go. I adopted a Jack Russell with behavior problems such as excessive barking and when you try to get out the door she would make it impossible to get out the door. I worked very hard with her and let her know she wasn't the boss and addressed EVERY time she would get out of hand and now she has chilled out quite a bit. Don't take the dog back to the pound just be patient and address it as soon as it happens. Not knowing the history of the dog anything could have happened to it. Please give the dog alot of love and excerise and get some professional help with it.

• I'd say give it time, keep trying. But if this dog is a danger to people I don't see how the shelter let him pass. They usually give them a temperment test to prevent these problems so poor people like you don't get put in this situation. If you can't clear it up, I guess the only thing to do would be give him back to the shelter. You have a good heart trying to keep him dispite his problem but sometimes, I'm sorry to say, it's just too late for recovery, the damage has been done. I'll say a prayer for you and your doggy. I hope this problem gets solved. Good luck <3

• My dog also has a fear of men, and no, she was never abused. She just barks at them. She has never tried to bite anyone. The fact that your dog bit someone makes this a very serious situation for you. You really need to seek the help of a behaviorists. Make sure you find a real behaviorist, and not just a trainer. Aggressive or fear behavior in dogs has nothing to do with being abused. Everyone always assumes that for some reason. Some dogs are just this way. Please seek the help of a professional to try to change this behavior in him. This could end up very badly for you and him if he bites people.Best of luck to both of you.

• If this dog truly took a chunk out of your friend's leg and is exhibiting the behavior you describe, your dog has a severe behavioral problem and your only hope is to work with a professional trainer that has experience with severe aggression issues. Once a dog gives a "hard bite" as you describe, it is tough to go backwards behaviorally. You are dealing with a dog that next time could bite a neighbor, child who comes into your yard or the meter reader and you will be liable. I also wouldn't put any more of your male friends or acquaintences in the position of try to help you train him - you are putting them in danger. It is very hard to safely isolate a dog from half the population and it may not be able possible to get this dog to be trustworthy with men ever. This project may be bigger than you are, even though he otherwise a smart dog.Call the shelter where you got the dog and ask for references for professional trainers. Your vet may have recommendations also. Work with a trainer and see where you get, but honestly, be prepared for the possibility that this is an unfixable problem.

• Not to sound like a jerk but my opinion is to get tough and treat your dog like well...a dog! This dog has issues that it feels it HAS to deal with. You need to be the pack leader for awhile and let this dog know it! He is under huge amounts of stress in situations with males as you describe but if you are the pack leader and can be calm in those situations then he will learn he can too!He should not be allowed a choice as to how he reacts to males. At the first sign of a reaction shush him sternly and touch his neck with a firm hand. (not hitting just a firm touch)Continue this untill he knows your in charge and concedes to your will. Do not ever allow him free will in this. It sounds mean but giving him range over this just causes him tons of uneeded stress.If he is not pack leader then he truely has no worries and can be the happy go lucky dog he was meant to be.Once this dominance and stress issue is solved he can then truely become a member of the family and even be treated like a people the way we all like to treat our pets :)Good luck to you and hope it all works out!P.S. another tip is you can disapline and even "touch" your dog from a distance if you need to. When unwanted behavior occurs a little ways off from where you are standing simply toss a personal item with your scent on it at your dog and shush him as normal. I used my wallet for training as it was soft with rounded edges and i didn't have to worry about accidentally hurting him.

• I agree with asuka. The best way for now would be things associated with men, but not actual men yet. When you introduce these things sit with him, talk softly so he stays calm, and give him treats when he is calm and near something that smells and sounds like a man (but not actually one.) Record a male friends voice, reading from a book or something, and borrow an unwashed, old shirt. He mightent have been abused by a man, but just have a thing against them. I have fostered some dogs that just get attached to a female figure and any male who is bigger or louder than that woman is a threat. And it seems to be mainly male dogs who were neutered a little late in life.

• Wow--that's really rough and I feel for you. I also adopted a dog--a Dalmatian--about 13 years ago (she recently passed from old age/natural causes). She was very loving towards women and was extremely intelligent and comical--like a circus dog. I loved her dearly and she was a great dog for me during my very long stretch of single life after my divorce. She was a rescue and had been severely beaten as a puppy by a man with a hairbrush--so badly he broke her tail in several places leaving visible scars. She was an unpredictable reactive biter as well, so I had to be really really careful with her around people. She did eventually accept men, but I was never able to get her to accept a brush during the entire 13 years she was with me--I had to use a mitt to groom her. She'd throw hysterical fits if she even saw a brush.I desensitized my dog to men by gradually introducing smells from one particular male friend who came over to my house a lot. I got a old worn t-shirt and shoe and put it in her crate at night to cuddle with, had him handle her toys and leash, and eventually she realized he wouldn't hurt her. I also aggressively socialized her by taking her with me everywhere and by doing beginning and later, advanced, obedience classes with her. She was never terribly fond of men in general and acted very protectively when men were around me or her--but she did get over it. It was a very long process though--years. She did wholeheartedy accept the men closest to me--my dad and brother, and later on, my fiance. I hate to say this, but you may need to seek out an animal behaviorist. (dog shrink or dog whisperer, so to speak). If you can't afford it, and it is pricey, then I'd really analyse how this dog is going to fit into your life. If you want to date men, have male friends over, or even get married someday, is this dog going to facilitate that? Is it worth giving up on people relationships to cushion your new four-legged friend's phobias? Probably not.I have owned several shelter dogs in my life and though I had some positive experiences with wonderful dogs while I was single, now that I have a family, I prefer the steadiness, friendliness, and dependability of my AKC Lab--who adores my man and my 16 month old son--and who is so close to the breed standard, you can almost see how she thinks and reasons and you can predict her every move--because her even temper and calmness is BRED into her. She is a wonderful happy companion NATURALLY--and I don't have to worry about behavior problems. Ever.Take one piece of advice--do not tolerate a biting adult dog. When they are puppies it is cute -- but knowing your dog is capable of biting and then having to live with it every time he bites a friend because you weren't quick enough to stop it, that time....... It's even worse that YOUR dog bites because it is a behavior he's learned as a response to mistreatment from a man. It is a tough decision, but I would seriously consider finding him another home. I know it's hard, especially if you have already bonded with the animal. My dog actually had a record --a police record, for biting. I had to carry special liability insurance against dogbites on my homeowner's policy after her second offense--and it wasn't cheap. In Florida, where I live, repeated pit bull bites and maulings have made national news and biting dogs are routinely euthanized--even on their first offense. Think about it. All it takes is for your dog to bite the wrong person....or child. Can you live with that?Some dogs really are in shelters for a reason. I'm sorry.

• We had the same problem when we adopted our dog from the pound. We tried having our male visitors give her treats, etc. but nothing worked. In fact, it seemed to make it worse. Turns out, after careful reflection and observation, that it wasn't all men that frightened her - but specifically those with facial hair and who wore hats. This discovery helped a lot. We had our visitors remove their hats and maintain a "safe" distance from her (safe for her sake, not theirs) while not speaking to her or looking at her. Then, we calmly reassured her that all was well while keeping her close to us and maintaining physical contact with her. Then we turned our attention to our guests and continued with our visit, but also continually reassuring her. This started out very difficult, but I believe she saw that our calmness meant there was no danger for her. In time she was able to learn to trust the visitors on her own terms, and eventually was able to accept treats from them as well. Over time her fear lessened, although I don't think it will ever go away completely. We've had her for 12 years now, and wouldn't trade her for the world. We just have to keep in mind her emotional needs. It may take some detective work to figure out just what it is about your visitors that is upsetting your dog. Try to not force them on him. In fact, you may need to provide him with a "safe" space for a while as he learns to cope. He may even have to be placed in another room, in a kennel, etc. for a while. He has most likely been through a lot, and traumas take a while to heal. And as hard as it is to do, try to maintain calm. Dogs are like children. They can react to our tones and our fears. I hope this helps. Good luck to both of you.

• It does sound like your pup has suffered abuse at the hands of a male. We brought my dog, similar situations to dog obedience training because they teach "humans" how to behave as well. Your dog can pick up on anxiety, happiness everything we feel without our conscious knowledge.Here are a few suggestions we learned from training: tell people to ignore him but YOU must watch the dog's movements. Try a hand shake or a hug while letting the dog know "this is a friend or a good guy." I used some pennies in an empty can and shook them to get him to associate that barking and growling at a man is not good. When he backs off quickly, it is followed up with an exuberant "Gooood Boooy" and a hug and kiss.Understand that it will take time and effort on your part but he/she will come around. Then it is all worthwhile.I do not hit, point in his face, smack the nose or stomp feet when training him as to what is acceptible and what is not. A "firm NO" usually works or a tug on the leash or collar works well also.Best of luck to you and puppy. He is lucky that you are willing to work through this time with him. The rewards in the future will be worth all your efforts

• If any dog ever needed training, it's this dog!!! He was probably severely abused by a man, and is terrified of them, but this is an issue that needs to be corrected. Go to a female trainer, and hopefully, between you the trainer and a male friend you can work this out!GOOD LUCK!!