teaching a 9 year old dog to heal?

i have a 9 year old kelpie/dingo... she is extremly intelligent and active but has always pulled on the lead.. i have tried numerous things to stop it but i fear it is too late for her to learn..her breed dosnt help with this either as kelpies are hypo…

i have a 9 year old kelpie/dingo... she is extremly intelligent and active but has always pulled on the lead.. i have tried numerous things to stop it but i fear it is too late for her to learn..her breed dosnt help with this either as kelpies are hypo…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : teaching a 9 year old dog to heal?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• teaching a 9 year old dog to heal?

teaching a 9 year old dog to heal? Dog Breed Discussions
      i have a 9 year old kelpie/dingo... she is extremly intelligent and active but has always pulled on the lead.. i have tried numerous things to stop it but i fear it is too late for her to learn..her breed dosnt help with this either as kelpies are hypo adhd breeds that go and go.. along with the dingo which can be quite stubborn..she is also not friendly to other dogs so this makes life harder.

teaching a 9 year old dog to heal? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Have you ever watched "It's Me or the Dog?"Victoria Stillwell is an AMAZING dog trainer. I've actually taught my dogs how to behave on the leash since I started watching that show.Basically, when she starts pulling, turn around. This teaches her that when she pulls, she goes the OPPOSITE way she wants to go. And if she behaves, and is patient, then she gets to go where she wants. It may take some persistance, but she'll lean eventually. :)Praise and treats!

• Using a leash and jerking your dog's neck is not necessary to train him to heel. Have your dog on your left side, facing the same direction as you. In your left hand hold food in front of your dog's nose. Give the command "Heel" and begin taking steps while keeping the treat in front of your left hip. Note that it may take several attempts to keep your dog focused on the food. Say the word "Good" at the exact time your dog walks as you walk. Give your dog the food along with an abundance of praise for even the slightest show of understanding. Train in short, 5-minute intervals throughout the day.Be very patient and positive, and have fun.

• I think it is more the dingo element that is causing the problem rather than the kelpie. Kelpie's usually LOVE obedience training and respond well to rewards.A dog with dingo is 50% wild animal. You'll have your work cut out for you.I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I found out with my (seemingly) untrainable dog that I WAS THE PROBLEM, not the dog. I was reacting and responding all the time to the wrong things in the wrong way.I got a 'dog psycholgist' (sounds crazy, but true) through the local vet. She taught me how to re-establish myself as the top dog, and as a result the dog now sits on command and can cope with one or two dogs in the park.I'm in Sydney, you should be able to access this in any of the larger cities.