Please! How can I help change a kelpie's attiude....?

my sister has 2 dogs, a dalmation/lab who is older & a kelpie cross. the kelpie (eddie) was a puppy she got from the RSPCA he was seized from a home that had 27 mistreated dogs. she took him in & we introduced people to him imediately & he has a very…

my sister has 2 dogs, a dalmation/lab who is older & a kelpie cross. the kelpie (eddie) was a puppy she got from the RSPCA he was seized from a home that had 27 mistreated dogs. she took him in & we introduced people to him imediately & he has a very…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Please! How can I help change a kelpie's attiude....?...

• Please! How can I help change a kelpie's attiude....?

Please! How can I help change a kelpie's attiude....? Dog Breed Discussions
      my sister has 2 dogs, a dalmation/lab who is older & a kelpie cross. the kelpie (eddie) was a puppy she got from the RSPCA he was seized from a home that had 27 mistreated dogs. she took him in & we introduced people to him imediately & he has a very loving home, is well taken care of & became perfectly friendly & cuddly with no problems with people. Hes about 3yrs now but about 1 year ago he barged out the door while we were comming inside (knocked us off our feet) & ran out the front where a lady was walking with a walking stick. he didn't look mean he was wagging his tail and slowly approaching her for a pat & she belt him a few times extremley hard with her cane. of course we went out & grabbed him & yelled at her but ever since then he is so cautious of people he doesnt know. now if we introduce him to new ppl he wont go near them, he growls, nips and gets very distraught and anxious. any ideas how we can help him? he was to be so friendly

Please! How can I help change a kelpie's attiude....? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Take him out to lots of different places,... RE-SOCIALIZE him slowly and gently to people.It will take time.He's a very smart dog with a good memory and has to be re-programmed to trust again and NOT be apprehensive that humans are all cruel and nasty.

• Everytime you see a stranger keep some food in your pocket and give it to any strangers and ask them to feed your dog&then ask them to pat him-keep repeating the process he soon be wagging his tail and being friendly to everyone!I say the lady that hurt your dog probably was bitten at one stage and very fearful of dogs, I don't know for sure though

• You dont have to change the dog, you need to change the owner's duty to the dog.Dogs have characteristics to their breed, the owner needs to become the Master by using deep growling voice (like a mans voice) at the appropriate times. The Master controls the dog by growling when the dog stuffs up, and also by being nice and giving a treat when the dog excells.Its no good saying "You naughty dog" in a sweet high pitch femine voice, you have to growl it.Treats can be anything from a pat and a scratch to a cuddle to a piece of food. It depends on the situ.It won't take long for the dog to learn. The dog will only be as good as its Master will train them.Have fun with your Kelpie !!!!