how do I get a german shepherd and cocker spaniel to get along?

We have a 10 year old cocker spaniel that we have had about 5 years. We recently adopted a 5 year old german shepherd. Both are males and both seem to be alpha dogs. The cocker spaniel has been nuetered, the geman shepherd has not.. Help can we get them…

We have a 10 year old cocker spaniel that we have had about 5 years. We recently adopted a 5 year old german shepherd. Both are males and both seem to be alpha dogs. The cocker spaniel has been nuetered, the geman shepherd has not.. Help can we get them…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : how do I get a german shepherd and cocker spaniel to get along?...

• how do I get a german shepherd and cocker spaniel to get along?

how do I get a german shepherd and cocker spaniel to get along? Dog Breed Discussions
      We have a 10 year old cocker spaniel that we have had about 5 years. We recently adopted a 5 year old german shepherd. Both are males and both seem to be alpha dogs. The cocker spaniel has been nuetered, the geman shepherd has not.. Help can we get them to stop fighting before my cocker spaniel gets killed. He has taken two nasty bites. It's wierd they met on nuetral territory, and we walk them together and leave them together and they are usually fine. The first time they fought over food, this last time they seemed to fight over nothing. Can this be fixed or am I going to have to give one of them up?

how do I get a german shepherd and cocker spaniel to get along? Dog Breed Discussions
    • in my opinion you shouldn't bring another male into a house that already has a male in the house especially since the new dog is bigger than the existing dog.but if the fight over food try feeding them in a separate room or try kennel training them to train them that your the alpha dog not the two of them, that might put them back into perspective, but usually if it's a male German Shepperd and he's already spent five years of thinking that he's the alpha dog then odds are it's not going to be easy to break him of it.

• Have a professional dog behaviorist and trainer come in to evaluate the situation. The main thing is that you are the alpha, not them. You tell them how to be. Your cocker deserves a visit from a trained professional who will see not only what your dogs are doing, but what you are doing as well.

• Cockers are not the most dog freindly breed-it may be that after 5 years as your top dog, taking on a new dog is not going to work. The food issue was a red flag, a fight over nothing is another big flag. First, don't leave them alone anymore. If you cant be there with them, use a crate. Second get the GSD fixed right away! It may not solve the situation totally but it will help. Finally, if you really want to keep them both, get a dog trainer who has knowledge of dealing with aggresion issues. If it comes to giving one up, please don't give up your cocker of 5 years! It will be tough to place a dog who is ten. Best of luck hope that all of you are able to live in peace and harmony soon:)

• This can happen when you introduce a new dog in the mix, even if both dogs are fixed, both are males, both females or one of each. Even if you leave and think they are okay I would separate them, it may help to get your shepherd fixed, but really only time will help. I know it only takes a few seconds for a dog he size of a shepherd to do some serious damage to another dog - I always watch my shepherds (male and female) around other dogs they don't know well. They are not mean, but it is their yard, their toys, their person, etc, and only time and patience and constant watching the dogs interact will get them used to sharing with another dog. It will take some time for both dogs, I raise and breed shepherds and while it may take months, they always end up buddies or at least tolerating each other.