What kind of potty schedule does my german shepherd pup need?

I just bought an 8 week old german shepherd pup and she is highly playful. i am verry confused on if i should take her out after playing, after some crate time, and after sleeping. can someone kindly give me an appropriate scedual for a german shepherd…

I just bought an 8 week old german shepherd pup and she is highly playful. i am verry confused on if i should take her out after playing, after some crate time, and after sleeping. can someone kindly give me an appropriate scedual for a german shepherd…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What kind of potty schedule does my german shepherd pup need?...

• What kind of potty schedule does my german shepherd pup need?

What kind of potty schedule does my german shepherd pup need? Dog Breed Discussions
      I just bought an 8 week old german shepherd pup and she is highly playful. i am verry confused on if i should take her out after playing, after some crate time, and after sleeping. can someone kindly give me an appropriate scedual for a german shepherd pup?

What kind of potty schedule does my german shepherd pup need? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You should take her out every hour and when she goes to the bathroom lots of praise, gradually increise the time from one hour to 1 hour 15 mins etc over several months she will soon realise that going out to the bathroom outside is a rewarding thing. Of course she will have accidents but its all about positive re-enforcement. Always take her out 10 mins after eating or drinking, and last thing at night before you sleep, first thing in the morning etc

• Exactly the same for any other breed of pup..after waking, after playing, after eating and sometimes inbetween...always with her, on a lead stand silently and wait until she 'goes' only when she is doing it do yu say anything, put a 'cue word' to it, like 'be clean' and praise............you are going to have some 'accidents' at this point in her life and if you can't watch her you crate her...it you toilet her like this and are consistant then within a few weeks you will be able to tell her to 'be clean' and she will understand and toilet on command...............................

• After she eats/drinks always take her out.And in the morning right away when you get up and right before you go to bed.Otherwise you should take her out every hour I would say.When she goes on walks she will probably go a lot.My dogs always do.Goodluck.

• Well i have a German shepherd. And what you should do is every day take her out to a local park or just plain grass. If there's nothing 'round the corner' from your house, then take her in a car ' if you have one, or if your a child then in your parents car'. And go somewhere were its calm, and a got distance for your pup to run. German shepherds are police dogs. so they love running and catching things. So bring some toys like a football, rope you can get rope that is for dogs they love pulling it and chasing it. It will tier her out which means after she will fall right to sleep. Good luck on your new pup! x

• I have a German Shepherd that is about 1 and 1/2 years old. We tied a bell to every door in our house and trained him to ring it everytime he had to go to the bathroom. At first we took him out about every 1 and 1/2 hours. Before letting him outside, we would take his paw and hit the bell with it and said "outside". This helped him to associate the bell with going outside. He started doing it on his own after about 3 to 4 weeks. You have to stay persistant and make sure you do it EVERY time the pup goes outside. We got this tip from the trainer at our local PetSmart and it works great. My boyfriend is a light sleeper so we even had a bell in our bedroom so our puppy could wake us up to let him out at night. He still uses his bells to alert us. Also, every time he went to the bathroom we would give him a treat and a lot of praise. This lets them know that they are doing a good thing. Congrats on your new puppy! German Shepherds are great dogs and she will be your best friend. They are quick learners as long as you stay persistant on the training. Good Luck!!!

• You sure are "verry confused"!#1: Tthe breed's real name translates as German Shepherd Dog - 3 words in the special noun, so 3 capital initials needed, with GSD for short.#2: There is NO "schedule".YOU do not control the timing of her piddles & poos, any more than your mother was able to control when YOU piddled and pooed back when you were still on all-4s or even younger.Toilet training is accomplished by YOU paying attention so that she never messes on a forbidden spot, and by you rewarding her for going in the RIGHT place.My last pup came inside at 8½ weeks old and was paper-trained that afternoon - important, as she had the run of the house (except for 2 permanently-closed rooms) even while I was getting my 8 hours sleep. Training her that my always-open bedroom is forbidden to pooches took a little longer - on 5 mornings I had to look in the passage for the aromatic sock she had been unable to resist stealing.You SHOULD have:• Brought her home at 7-to-9 weeks old. (you get a tick there)• Stayed home 24/7 with her for at least a week, OBSERVING her 100% the whole time she is awake, learning HER timing & signals for such as "Wanna go toilet" and "Wanna BITE something!", so that you can PREDICT them and take instant appropriate action.Obviously most "play" should be AFTER she goes toilet, rather than before. But a game of Chase will often help get the bowels urgently reminding the body to "Please release me from these pains" (for fans of old songs).For a well-bred well-reared puppy aged 8 weeks old it is common for the pup, about 1 minute after waking and 3 minutes after eating or drinking, to start making anxious nose-down circles. But you have to learn HER patterns, as every pooch is an individual.The appropriate action is to then PICK HER UP and carry her to the designated toilet spot (you are welcome to have a cheery conversation with her along the way), put her down, then you stand there boringly still-&-silent until she remembers what she wanted to do, so does it. Whereupon you ENTHUSIASTICALLY praise and reward her - e.g., "Good girl Asta TOILET!" (rub rub). If you are really prepared, follow that with a game or two (such as Ball Chase or Tug-o-War) before calling her back to wherever you picked her up from.She will sleep up to 6 or 8 times every day, not just when YOU want to sleep. And she cannot hold on while you get your 8 hours of "beauty sleep". If she is locked in a crate that long she will be FORCED to break the instinct on which training her to be house-clean depends - the instinct to get away from her nest before piddle-pooing.I hope you are feeding her no further apart than every 9 hours until she is 5-6 months old.YOU should already be booked in to a proper training club's weekly classes, ready to start when she is 18-22 weeks old, so that YOU get coached on how to become an effective trainer. Until your instructor there says otherwise, ALL your attempts to train her should be by reward-reinforcement methods.I hope you know what is involved in the familiarisation-&-confidence-building experiences that should be completed by 13 weeks old, 16 at the latest....â—™ Add http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source to your browser's Bookmarks or Favorites so that you can easily look up such as rescue groups, feeding, vaccinations, worming, clubs, teething, neutering, size, diseases, genetics.â—™ To ask about GSDs, join some of the 400+ YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with them. Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos in your messages.I can NOT approve of dirty [Sammie]'s irresponsible advice to have her mess in PUBLIC areas - let alone to take her to such virus-laden places at your pup's tender age!Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967