How to tell a purebred german shepherd puppy?

I have gotten recently a german shepherd puppy, and would like to know any things that could possibly identify him as a purebred without any papers. Thnx

I have gotten recently a german shepherd puppy, and would like to know any things that could possibly identify him as a purebred without any papers. Thnx...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How to tell a purebred german shepherd puppy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to tell a purebred german shepherd puppy?

How to tell a purebred german shepherd puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have gotten recently a german shepherd puppy, and would like to know any things that could possibly identify him as a purebred without any papers. Thnx

How to tell a purebred german shepherd puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Too bad you didn't ask "how do I identify a BYB from a good breeder" before you bought a puppy. You can't, and your dog isn't suitable for breeding anyway if that's what you wanted this for.

• Nope, if you wanted a purebred, you should have gotten one from a reputable breeder that was registered with a legitimate registryNo Jade, you're completely wrong. Crap registries like the CKC and APRI accept that as proof of being purebred, that's why the AKC is considered the 'gold standard' of registries in the US. They don't allow ANY dog to be registered unless the parents had full registration and the litter was registered. Now let me guess where you register your dogs

• there's no way to identify a dog as being a purebred without papers.Honestly, even papers are not a guarantee.. as its not that hard to falsify paperwork.The ONLY way to know for sure that you are getting a purebred animal is to buy from a reputable breeder.

• • What does "pure-bred" mean to YOU?To me it means "Both parents are registered as ThatBreeds in the nation's one official* canine registry, but the breeder didn't want it shown or bred from so refused to register it".To greedy BYBers and overzealous volunteers in rescue groups & shelters it just means "I think it looks a bit like a ThatBreed".(* in Links => Kennel_Clubs of the site below you will find the one official registry for your nation)• And why does it matter to you? - you've already chosen your pet, so it's too late to change your mind.To get an indication whether or not more than one breed contributed to your pup, you can pay a DNA lab (see some in Links => DNA below) to compare a sample of your pet's DNA with the DNA profiles of whatever breeds that lab has in its data-base. If the lab reports ONLY "German Shepherd Dog" (note my correct 3 words & punctuation) then no other popular breed is likely to have contributed. But their finding is NOT accepted as legal proof.The nearest you can to being CERTAIN that a pooch is purely GSD, nothing else, is to:• Buy a KC-registered pup from a breeder who keeps ONLY GSDs and whose sold stock is very successful in GSD competition (therefore he/she has a LOT to lose if falsification is proven), then• Have a DNA sample taken from your pup and pay your KC to compare it with the DNA samples it has on-record for the alleged sire & dam of your pup. That will prove whether or not the alleged parents are indeed the actual parents. If they don't match - tough! (Kick up a fuss with the breeder & the KC!!!) If they DO match,• Pay the KC to have the DNA samples of both parents compared with the DNA samples of THEIR parents. If they don't match, tough! (You are unlikely to get any joy by kicking up a fuss with your KC and the breeders of the 2 parents.) If they do match, you are unlikely to be able to get DNA samples from further back, so must hope that from there back to the 1890s every breeder was honest.You might be surprised at how often pedigrees are false.An example is a breeder near me who import a bit.ch-in-whelp and a young dog from Scandinavia. As the breeder's retention from the litter matured, he became more & more amazed at how similar it was to the dog he'd imported - and finally he had his pup DNA tested. Yep, "daddy" was his imported pup, not the expensive Scandinavian stud the litter was supposed to be by. (So the the whole litter was then de-registered, and his retention was reregistered with its DNA-proven parentage.)When the German SV started DNA testing it was shocked at how often a litter allegedly by a famous VA or spitzen-V was actually by the old dog's son - obviously the old stud wasn't interested in the bitch, so the stud owner allowed his son to have fun then charged for the old dog's services.• Add http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source to your browser's Bookmarks or Favorites so that you can easily look up such as feeding, vaccinations, worming, clubs, weights, teething, neutering, disorders, genetics in the public section.• To ask about GSDs, join some of the 400+ YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with GSDs. Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967