How can I convince my girlfriend to get a German Shepherd?

She likes big dogs, and so do I but she wants a more "family" type dog like a retriever. I want an incredibly smart dog who will be very protective of our family (even though we won't have kids for a few years).I said I'd be willing to get a mixed German…

How can I convince my girlfriend to get a German Shepherd?

She likes big dogs, and so do I but she wants a more "family" type dog like a retriever. I want an incredibly smart dog who will be very protective of our family (even though we won't have kids for a few years).I said I'd be willing to get a mixed German…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How can I convince my girlfriend to get a German Shepherd?...

• Just get a puppy, and she'll say "AWWW HOW CUTE!!!"No, actually you and I both know they're smart, they learn fast, and they're gentle but they can defend the family. The police use them, just find a police officer that's in the K-9 patrol and get him to act like he's an old friend, and invite him to an outdoor family event like a bbq. and she'll see that it's a good dog by just being around it for a couple hours. And he/she (the police) will love to come for the free food. If you don't have an outdoor event scheduled, a nice walk in the park and a casual "bumping into an old friend" trick works.You can use this for a lot of things, it's called bandwagon advertising or peer pressure. He/She's doing it so we should do it too!"Tom owns a porshe, he says it's safe, and fuel efficient. Sounds like a good buy!"but you need that third (surprise) party for this because she's already heard your argument and she's not buying.

• Tell her to read the book by Ceaser Millan, Ceaser's way.and tell her that all dogs can be family friendly, it depends on how you raise them. and german shepherd dogs are very intelligent, affectionate dogs, and will protect their family with their life. If you bought a golden retriever, i doubt it would look after your kids the way a GSD would.good luck.

• u can just tell her how dogs in general are great or you can just get the mixed breed. no matter what kind of dog you get they will always be a great addition to your family and are loyal and fun animals. they do not judge and are special in their own ways. all dogs are 'family' dogs. and by the way retrievers are amazing fun dogs. ur always wondering everyday what did they chew up this time they may be not quite the "smartest" dogs but they are great in their own destructive crazy way

• Any breed that's raised with the family will typically protect their family in a threatening situation (which is really the only time a dog SHOULD protect). GSDs are naturally MORE protective than the average dog -- meaning they must be socialized extensively from puppyhood, or else they're likely to "protect" you from anything and everything that comes to your front door (not so much fun for the neighbors). If you are willing to spend some extra time socializing your pup, then a GSD would be a great choice. If you know a GSD, introduce her to it. Show her the reality.

• http://ultimatepetguide.com/Go here and read some of the FREE ebooks on whatever pet you think you would like. Now I'm gonna go look up Terriers, I looked at the G Shepperd ebooks, wonderful, informative and actually free!

• Ok firstly - who is paying for the dog?Secondly who will be looking after the pooch?Thirdly a Retriever is a much nicer animal. Although GS's are cute but they shed everywhere can get vicious at times. Retrievers are very intelligent.