How to prepare for owning a German Shepherd?

I am twenty years old, and will be graduating college in two years. Even though it sounds premature, I would like to know how to prepare for owning a German Shepherd. I've had a greyhound for 5 years (she was a rescue), but GSDs are a very different…

I am twenty years old, and will be graduating college in two years. Even though it sounds premature, I would like to know how to prepare for owning a German Shepherd. I've had a greyhound for 5 years (she was a rescue), but GSDs are a very different…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How to prepare for owning a German Shepherd?...

• How to prepare for owning a German Shepherd?

How to prepare for owning a German Shepherd? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am twenty years old, and will be graduating college in two years. Even though it sounds premature, I would like to know how to prepare for owning a German Shepherd. I've had a greyhound for 5 years (she was a rescue), but GSDs are a very different breed. I am thinking about getting the dog around 27 or 30; when I am more settled, but I don't plan on owning another dog first, which is what everybody recommends. So how does one prepare? What are the first steps to take with a GSD puppy? I am completely ready to commit a lot of time to the dog.Since I'm 20, I thought it would be assumed the greyhound is a family dog. Guess I overestimated some of your cognitive abilities...

How to prepare for owning a German Shepherd? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Home ownership first, dog next. Many rentals do not allow large dogs. A German Shepherd is not considered a small dog. Your post is confusing. " I've had a greyhound for 5 years"You also wrote: "I don't plan on owning another dog first, which is what everybody recommends"You either have a dog or you don't.As to preparing for GSD ownership that's 7-10 years away.

• The German Shepherd needs LOTS of mental stimulation, and daily physical exercise till they drop. This dog takes it job, whatever it may be, very seriously. The dog will need strong leadership from you, and may at some point test you. Remain the leader from the time you bring it home until the last beat of his/her heart. Be firm, dominant... NEVER aggressive or scary. This will only make the dog a nervous wreck. Train the dog very well. Basic commands, obedience, advanced tricks, or training the dog to help you around the house... Training your own "service dog" will keep your dog focused on you, and will keep your dog very well mentally stimulated. Get lots of socialization for the dog as a puppy, and keep your adult dog social even when they are adults regularly. If you do not do this, your dog may be aggressive towards strangers, or not enough socialization will make your dog nervous or shy of strangers.Exercise the dog everyday, no matter the weather. That's why they have that thick coat... Let your dog run everyday... Maybe even 2 complete runnings everyday. Train him/her to walk on a treadmill. Throw a ball downstairs and have her bring it back up to you upstairs. Repeat until it's tuckered out.