Tips for introducing a tiny dog to a somewhat aggressive german shepherd?

What is your experience introducing a very small dog (7 lb adult pomeranian) to a somewhat aggressive and large german shepherd?

What is your experience introducing a very small dog (7 lb adult pomeranian) to a somewhat aggressive and large german shepherd?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Tips for introducing a tiny dog to a somewhat aggressive german shepherd?...

• Tips for introducing a tiny dog to a somewhat aggressive german shepherd?

Tips for introducing a tiny dog to a somewhat aggressive german shepherd? Dog Breed Discussions
      What is your experience introducing a very small dog (7 lb adult pomeranian) to a somewhat aggressive and large german shepherd?

Tips for introducing a tiny dog to a somewhat aggressive german shepherd? Dog Breed Discussions
    • My experience leads me to believe that you absolutely need to keep these two dogs separated.You know your german shepherd is aggressive and want to have a 7 lb. pom interact with thim?Common sense would dictate that this is a lethal combination and the pom will be dead the first time you let the shepherd at him.Use your head here - not going to work.

• It's a bad idea unless the older aggressive dog has worked with an animal behaviorist so you know how to counter the behavior. Even then I'd advise against it because the animals will need constant supervision. This applies to any other dog, large or small, but a small breed? I'd think twice getting any other dog

• Dogs should be introduced to each other (especially if they are going to be living in the same place together after) in a neutral place without restraints of any kind. Take them both to a dog park or friends house and bring them both into the area. If the aggressive dog isn't in his territory, then he won't have as much to be upset about when another dog enters the picture.

• um not doing it. you realize you can never leave these two dogs alone, ever? all it takes is one hard swipe, and the poms back could break. this could happen when you are watching the dogs. there is no reason for these two dogs to be together. the GSD will probably think the pom is prey. how about some training for the GSD?

• I am worried about the "some what agressive" part. If you must, I would suggest tethering the GSD with a leash to something VERY solid. Handle the pom far enough away that the GSD can see it but not much else. Watch his body language and proceed from there. If he is play bowing and happy then you can move closer. If he seems happy to see the lil dog, put the pom's leash on and let them sniff each other. If the GSD shows any sign of aggression, back off. You may have to keep them separated and at the very least, i would never leave them unattended even if he acts friendly in the beginning.

• When you get them together you need to do it slowly. Dogs read people well so if you are "worried" then the dog gets worried and will react. I have been a trainer for 15+yrs. Take it slow slow slow...start off w/ kennel introduction (both in a differrent kennels but next to each other) then do an across the room inro. then slowly bring them together. The more they are around each other the better it will get...however if both are of the same sex, they are trying to figure out who is the alpha and until they figure that out the only thing you can do it watch them together & hand w/ care. I keep my males apart for that reason even though I am the alpha there is still a "dog alpha" also.When they are together keep all toys out of the way if one has then the other wants (just like children)

• Walk them together and make them a pack. I didn't believe this would work, but my uncle has this old crochety german shepard female who was so crabby and faught any dog she looked at and my dad walker her with our shepard mixes and they ended up being alright. Things were tense the first time, but it soon became smooth. Now they're almost best friends. (She's still crabby lol) Joe S. is also right. Both teniques work.

• I have 5 year old German Shepherd who is also "somewhat" aggressive lol. She is not mean, but when it comes to other dogs sometimes she is not so cheery. Well my best friend got a Husky puppy, and we decided we wanted them to be friends. But when I tried to introduce them, but GSD didn't exactly love the puppy, and vice versa. So I decided to put the puppy in a kennel in the middle of my living room, and allow my GSD in to come up to it and do what it liked. This way I knew no matter what my dog couldn't hurt it, and the puppy couldn't run away. It worked very well. At first my dog barked and the puppy seemed scared, but after a bit it realized it was safe, and my dog realized that the puppy wasn't a menacing threat. They started smelling each other and my dog calmed down, and I just sat and watched TV and let them go awhile like that untill my dog started to ignore the puppy. Then I was able to let them out and play. I still had to monitor them, because my dog was bigger and rougher. Since your pom is an adult he probably won't be as scared as my puppy was, so you will probably have an easier time. But you should put whichever dog is the new dog to the household in the crate, and allow the dog who has been there awhile to get use to him in there before allowing them out to play. Also, if you are having aggression problems with your GSD, and he's not good with dogs in general, you might want to consider taking him to a basic obedience class to socialize with other dogs and learn some obedience. Good luck!