What can i do so my german shepherd can stop barking at other dogs?

My german shepherd is 8 month old now and everytime he sees another dog he starts to bark at them for no readon. Today when me ad my bro to him for a walk he saw a dog and the dog did nothing to him and he started to bark at him. Aother problem that i…

My german shepherd is 8 month old now and everytime he sees another dog he starts to bark at them for no readon. Today when me ad my bro to him for a walk he saw a dog and the dog did nothing to him and he started to bark at him. Aother problem that i…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What can i do so my german shepherd can stop barking at other dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What can i do so my german shepherd can stop barking at other dogs?

What can i do so my german shepherd can stop barking at other dogs? Dog Breed Discussions
      My german shepherd is 8 month old now and everytime he sees another dog he starts to bark at them for no readon. Today when me ad my bro to him for a walk he saw a dog and the dog did nothing to him and he started to bark at him. Aother problem that i have with him is he is always trying to bite my hand and jumps on me. What can i do????

What can i do so my german shepherd can stop barking at other dogs? Dog Breed Discussions
    • u need to take it to obedience school where u can learn to be a pack leader and he can learn how to listen to what u say cause right now that GSP is becoming alpha right before your eyes. if he hasnt already become alpha in his mind

• I have the same problem. Only, my dog is a dashund. what I do is say "SHHH" Loud so they can hear and give them the touch. What you do is say that then poke them with all five fingers but not hitting. Not too hard either but hard enough to snap them out of it. It shocks them back to reality. I also recommend watching "Dog Whisperer." It's on national geographic channel or you can watch it on youtube. For biting, if they jump up, yell "OFF" or "DOWN" or whatever you wanna use and grab the muzzle. Hold it shut and point your finger and wag it infront of his face and say "NO"I hope this helped you and this is what helped my family tame our dogs.

• It's time to take him to school if for no other reason to be around other dogs or try walking him with a choke collar.You should always have a choke collar on him in case something happens and you have to control him immediately.If the choke collar doesn't work for you then do what I did and get a pinch collar they look alot more mean than they really are and they always work without alot of effort.

• try to take his attention away from the other dogs with a treat then if you put coins in a bottle and shake it when he barks that will get him to stop for sure and throw it to thew hard ground or shake the bottle hard to get him to stop this should really work i do it on my dog all the time

• Its called leash reactivity.You should invest in a prong collar and get yourselves into training classes (NOT Petco/Petsmart classes). You need to work on the leash reactivity now. It's only going to get worse as the dog ages. How bad is the dog when he's barking? Does he lunge or pull toward the dog? How far away are they before he acts up? There are many factors to this. Before using the prong collar I would see if you can distract him with a toy or treats. Make him do something before he starts acting up to distract him. You can do a sit, down, sit, shake, down, shake etc... while moving away and treating him. This has to be started immediately and BEFORE he starts acting up. If you try to do this after he's already hyped up its too late and you just need to get out of there. He won't learn anything while he's on level 10. You could also use his favorite toy to distract him and get past the other dog. My GSD also has the same issue. I've been working on this for MONTHS and MONTHS (over 6 months). It's not an easy fix and its not something you can just change overnight. It's constant work and correction. My GSD has a high level of prey drive and I tired to use a head collar as well as food and toys to distract her. Neither of those things worked for me. The head collar worked to an extent but she needs a higher level of correction to completely stop. I use a prong collar properly fitted. It gives me complete control, she surrenders to the collar, and if I need to correct her behavior (I use positive reinforcement with this behavior) she gets a quick hard snap to the side. It immediately stops her from barking escalating to growling and lunging. She's much better now and I can walk within a few feet of another dog without her acting up. It's something we always have to work on but we're at a good point now. She knows what I want. If she begins to zero in on another dog (you need to learn to read your dog) I tell her "shhh no". If she breaks eye contact I tell her good job and nothing bad happens. If she doesn't break that focus she gets a hard correction. Its not mean or cruel. She has the option to listen and when she doesn't I have to assert myself so she remembers growling/barking/lunging etc.. are not acceptable. Your dog has no respect for you. My GSD has NEVER turned that aggression onto me. I would highly recommend a professional trainer. You could get seriously injured by your dog turning that aggression onto you intentionally or unintentionally. Please seek help from a professional. Good luck to you. This behavior can be modified with time, effort, and energy. :]