What Are some ways to teach my German Shepherd to hunt with me?

I am getting a german shepherd in a couple of weeks. I understand german shepherds need to feel a sense of purpose and i do a lot of small game hunting (like squirrels rabbits quail etc). What are some ways that i can train my dog to track them.

I am getting a german shepherd in a couple of weeks. I understand german shepherds need to feel a sense of purpose and i do a lot of small game hunting (like squirrels rabbits quail etc). What are some ways that i can train my dog to track them....
    Dog Breed Discussions : What Are some ways to teach my German Shepherd to hunt with me?...

• What Are some ways to teach my German Shepherd to hunt with me?

What Are some ways to teach my German Shepherd to hunt with me? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am getting a german shepherd in a couple of weeks. I understand german shepherds need to feel a sense of purpose and i do a lot of small game hunting (like squirrels rabbits quail etc). What are some ways that i can train my dog to track them.

What Are some ways to teach my German Shepherd to hunt with me? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Best and easiest way is to buy a book that teaches you how to train that certain breed of dog for certain activities... Depending on how old the dog is the more likely the dog will learn anything or not. Best to start out as young as possible.

• There are very specific techniques for training a dog to track. First of all, you need to discover if your dog as a "nose", after that, find yourself a trainer who can teach you to teach the dog to track. If you are going to shooting game, then you also need to desensitize your dog to gunfire, otherwise he will just panic and run. Again, don't try this yourself, find someone experience in training gun dogs and learn from them. Some dogs will always be gun-shy, so don't expect miracles.

• GSDs are one of the most versatile breeds around. They can hunt and do it well - that's how police K9s track and capture suspects. This is hunting behavior. Unlike the hounds, though, they trail silently so you can't follow the sound of baying. A lot of sporting goods stores sell hunting hound bells that clip onto the collar so you can hear where the dog is. I am not into killing things, but my Australian shepherd is the perfect assistant for my "camera hunting". He points birds and small animals as well as any bird dog (actually, I've even watched coyotes point and other coyotes "honor" the point). The herding group as a whole does tend to be very sound shy, so you'd have to make a firm connection in his mind that loud sounds mean play and food. Most GSDs are natural retrievers, though they do not have soft mouths - that would have to be taught to avoid receiving mangled critters. It can be done.