I have an australian shepherd and i'm thinking of adopting another dog. What breed should i get?

I have a 6 month australian shepherd. He's very playful but i feel bad because some days i dont have that much time to play with him. I want to get him another companion so he's not lonely. What <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/9-dog-breed/?s=bcb3e87cb94725cf9128ac9d849fd6afc7778d77">dog breed</a> is the best to get to be his companion? I want…

I have an australian shepherd and i'm thinking of adopting another dog. What breed should i get?

I have a 6 month australian shepherd. He's very playful but i feel bad because some days i dont have that much time to play with him. I want to get him another companion so he's not lonely. What <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/9-dog-breed/?s=bcb3e87cb94725cf9128ac9d849fd6afc7778d77">dog breed</a> is the best to get to be his companion? I want…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I have an australian shepherd and i'm thinking of adopting another dog. What breed should i get?...

• I have an australian shepherd and i'm thinking of adopting another dog. What breed should i get?

I have an australian shepherd and i'm thinking of adopting another dog. What breed should i get? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 6 month australian shepherd. He's very playful but i feel bad because some days i dont have that much time to play with him. I want to get him another companion so he's not lonely. What dog breed is the best to get to be his companion? I want one thats about his size and has about the same energy level. I also want an intelligent dog. What breed should i get?

I have an australian shepherd and i'm thinking of adopting another dog. What breed should i get? Dog Breed Discussions
    • You don't need another dog if you don't have time to play with the dog you have. In your case, you would probably be better off re-homing your current dog to someone who has time for him.

• Why not another Australian Shepherd, or a Border Collie.Sounds like if you're having a hard time keeping up with one dog, two would only make it worse. I get what you mean by wanting a companion for him, but as you know, a puppy is a lot of work. Yours is still only 6 months, you have a while before adding another dog would be a smart idea.

• Get a border collie they are both herding dogs so they will have that in common and for experince i know that border collies are alot of funwhen they are puppies and if you get it when it is a puppy then you australian shepherd will help train. hope i helped:)

• Before getting another dog make sure you can provide both dogs with the care and exercise they will need. Has your dog been well socialized with other dogs? Does it get along with other dogs? How much exercise does your current dog get? Australian shepherds are high energy and usually require two hours of exercise(through walks/runs) a day, if they are not working. If you are planning on adopting-go to your local shelter or rescue and tell them of what you would need from a dog. How much time you plan on spending on grooming, the size you would prefer, how much exercise you will provide for it, and that you have another dog so a dog that is "dog" friendly. Along with anything else you would want in and from a dog.

• HA! You are quite humorous, aren't you? Australian Shepherds require at least three hours of vigorous physical exercise and intricate mental stimulation EVERY single day."i feel bad because some days i dont have that much time to play with him" Re-home this poor dog before he becomes a mentally unstable disaster. (If he hasn't already) You don't need another dog or even have the means to provide for another dog, especially not a breed with the same energy level as an Australian Shepherd if you can't even invest enough time in your current dog.

• It has been my experience with Aussies that adding more dogs in hope that they'll exercise themselves don't work. Sure, they may play, but Aussies are very people-oriented dogs who were bred to work (and work HARD) all day long with people.YOU need to get him out there, running and playing. YOU need to interact with this dog. Enroll in obedience classes/competitions, or beginning agility (where they will simply get him used to the equipment as he's not old enough to be going over the jumps a lot). Look for a place where you can get his herding instinct tested and possibly sign him up for lessons.If you cannot do that, rehome him. He's still young - you can find a good farm or active home for him.