How do I teach a German Shepherd puppy not to bite?

I have an 11 week old German shepherd. He's constantly biting anything or anyone in site. How do I train him not to bite in order to avoid problems in the future?

I have an 11 week old German shepherd. He's constantly biting anything or anyone in site. How do I train him not to bite in order to avoid problems in the future?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do I teach a German Shepherd puppy not to bite?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I teach a German Shepherd puppy not to bite?

How do I teach a German Shepherd puppy not to bite? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have an 11 week old German shepherd. He's constantly biting anything or anyone in site. How do I train him not to bite in order to avoid problems in the future?

How do I teach a German Shepherd puppy not to bite? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I would get him into obedience classes, how ever he is mainly doing this because he is teething, try giving him some pig ears, and toys to satisfy his chewing needs.

• When he bites, gently but firmly grab his muzzle with your fingers and literally growl "no bite" at him, offer one of his chew toys, and walk away. When he bites, give a correction, then game over. Come back a few minutes later if you still want to play with him, and repeat the process each time he bites or snaps.Socialize him very well with other people, dogs, and children. Make a habit of sitting outside petsmart, the grocery store, wal mart, wherever they let people just sit with their dogs and let other people interact with him. This will help avoid irrational aggression and biting toward strangers in the future.

• When he does such behavior then just stand up walk away and ignore him not eye contact puppies love attention they will associate u not praising then to let them know that biting is not acceptable

• Play biting is normal in youngsters. Chew toys will help. A gentle correction is required when he is biting the wrong things like furniture, people and such. A loud NO! and a gentle push away on the muzzle should give him the message quickly. Don't ever make the mistake of petting or cuddling him while he is biting, he will not understand that it is bad behavior in fact he will think it's good to bite if you're petting him while he does it. Training class for puppies is a good idea, find one that addresses bad behavior with reward training for good behavior.. Don't forget to pet and praise your pup when he isn't biting you or anyone else. Good luck.. Shepherds are so smart you will have this corrected in no time if you just remember timing is key to any training..correction and reward must be perfectly timed with the pups action...

• i suggest Jasmers method, and mayb while playing you could use th spray they sell that tastes really gross and put it on your hands. then if he bites you he will think you taste gross : pthe spray is made for pets and if u did use it u have to make sure to wash your hands really good after cus it tastes gross to us too

• Hi, i have an 11 yo GSD that did the same thing with the biting at that age. Every onesadvise is right on, i did most of them. Basic OObediencetraining is a must. SSqueezingher mmussel and telling him NO also works. GSD are very smart( as well as other breeds) and will respond well to proper ttraining He will also grow out of a lot of the mmischievousthings they do.

• Puppy biting is a normal, natural, and necessary puppy behavior. Puppy play-biting is the means by which dogs develop bite inhibition and a soft mouth. The developing puppy should learn that his bites can hurt long before he develops jaws strong enough to inflict injury. Check these links for more guidelines.http://lnk.nu/dogtime.com/s0b.htmlhttp://lnk.nu/dogtime.com/s0f.html

• The best thing to do to stop nipping and mouthing is to let out a puppy like yelp, this immediately makes the puppy back away as it is what her litter mates would do. Its a way to let them know that it hurts. They won't understand all the no's and putting them in another room etc. When they nip, you yelp then turn your back on them (get visitors to do the same) they will soon get the message of 'ouch that hurts and i am not playing because of it' Try this link for a full guide.http://www.teachingpuppies.com/how-to-stop-my-puppy-nipping-and-mouthingYou should also teach your puppy the ‘leave it’ command this is not only for objects but also helps them control their bite inhibition (become more aware of how people like to be interacted with). This will show you how (its really easy) http://www.teachingpuppies.com/how-to-teach-my-puppy-to-leave-itHope this helps :D

• he could be teething if not - when he biting anything or one stop him and give him one of his own - another way is do what I did - I bought a 'zapper' collar that has a remote and he will just get a vibration and he will stop immediately - te collar in made by Innotec