Would a Jack russel cross lakeland terrier chase my cats?

My family and I have decided to get a dog. We have searched around and have found a jack ruusel cross lakeland terrier. He is 7 months old and we are going to see him tonight. We have 2 cats 11 years and 8 years old. Would he be a problem to our cats and…

My family and I have decided to get a dog. We have searched around and have found a jack ruusel cross lakeland terrier. He is 7 months old and we are going to see him tonight. We have 2 cats 11 years and 8 years old. Would he be a problem to our cats and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Would a Jack russel cross lakeland terrier chase my cats?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Would a Jack russel cross lakeland terrier chase my cats?

Would a Jack russel cross lakeland terrier chase my cats? Dog Breed Discussions
      My family and I have decided to get a dog. We have searched around and have found a jack ruusel cross lakeland terrier. He is 7 months old and we are going to see him tonight. We have 2 cats 11 years and 8 years old. Would he be a problem to our cats and would he chase them?

Would a Jack russel cross lakeland terrier chase my cats? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Maybe...very likely actually. Terriers were bred to chase and kill vermin, and have retained that drive today. I'm not saying he WILL ABSOLUTELY chase your cats, but it's something to be prepared for,.

• Dogs are individuals so it's impossible to know.You have to ask the rescue if they have had this pup around cats. Most likely, with the pup being a terrier, he will have an interest in the cats. However, he may not, but I'd be surprised.

• Yes he would. I have a pure Jack Russell. They have hunting instincts engraved into their DNA. So any small animal they look at them as a hunt/chase/challenge. Very nice but very hyper high maintenance's dogs. Jacks and cats generally do not mix. They may seem to be buddies for a while but there are too many people ( I belong to a jack club...dork I know lol) who have came home to discover that their Jack have killed their cat. Not their fault...they are not doing it to be mean...it is just their instincts...they were breed to hunt fox. That is just what they do. Before getting any kind of animal...ALWAYS research the breed. It saddens me when people go out and purchase a certain breed because they seen it in a movie or just think they are cute...but have no clue about them. So they end up throwing them in the pound...and we all know what happens there.

• Well, it's in the nature of dogs to chase cats, although there are quite a few individual exceptions. You might take your cats along to the meeting. I have a feeling that what's more likely to happen is that the cats will go into defense mode--arch their backs and hiss--at the sight or smell of a dog.

• Terriers are wonderful dogs with great hunting and protecting instincts and I really love them. If your new dog was socializedwith other animals, especially cats, then there should be no problem. Unfortunately for you terriers are wonderful dogs with great hunting instincts and may see your cats as prey. If your cats decide to run, they may be chased. If your cats display aggression, they may be engaged. If your cats are used to dogs and your new dog is used to cats, things may go well.

• There is always the possibility that he would not only chase them but he could kill them. I had a JR for 17 years and I am sorry to say that he once did kill a cat. From a distance a dog cannot tell a cat from a rabbit and if the cat runs the dog's natural instinct is to chase it and then go in for the kill.If you get a puppy and it is brought up with the cats it would just accept them but a 7 month old JR/Lakeland Terrier is imonot the breed for you. He would terrorise your cats and you would probably find they would hide away and be very miserable, especially as they have had the run of your home for all these years.I have a rescue Springer and she had lived with cats from a puppy so she has never had a problem with them.If you are thinking of getting a dog try and steer away from dogs with a high prey drive.Good luck with your search.