Is a pit bull the same as an american staffordshire terrier?

I've heard yes and I've heard that they are entirely different. What would be the difference. Would most landlords accept an american staffordshire terrier and not a pit bull. Just curious...I think they are gorgeous creatures.

I've heard yes and I've heard that they are entirely different. What would be the difference. Would most landlords accept an american staffordshire terrier and not a pit bull. Just curious...I think they are gorgeous creatures....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is a pit bull the same as an american staffordshire terrier?...

• Is a pit bull the same as an american staffordshire terrier?

Is a pit bull the same as an american staffordshire terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
      I've heard yes and I've heard that they are entirely different. What would be the difference. Would most landlords accept an american staffordshire terrier and not a pit bull. Just curious...I think they are gorgeous creatures.

Is a pit bull the same as an american staffordshire terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
    • pit bull is not a breed...its a type or classification of several breeds, depending on who is classifyingUsually it refers to the American Pit Bull Terrier...or APBT

• Yes and no.The APBT was first registered in 1898 by the UKC.The AmStaff in 1936 by the AKC.Once the same breed,after AKC recognition,the divide began.The APBT is a high energy,high drive,working breed.The AmStaff has been bred mainly for the show ring since its renaming.Becoming a larger,blockier shell of its former self.Visual comparison,brief explanation: http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=23545However,as far as BSL,tenant agreements,insurance,etc,they are the same.@ J Buzzworthy...your assertion is wrong.There are several different hounds,only one Pit Bull.In fact,the AmStaff was renamed to dissociate with the name and history of the Pit Bull.Pit Bull is short for and only properly used when referring to the APBT.The only breed to carry that specific word pairing in its name.There is NO Pit Bull group.The APBT aka Pit Bull,the AmStaff and Staffy Bull are Bull and Terrier in type...not Pit Bull.

• Some people mistakenly believe that the term “pit bull” refers to a single breed of dog. That would be same as saying that “hound” refers to a single breed.Instead, like “hound”, “pit bull” is a grouping that contains several breeds of dog.The three most common types are the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.Of all of the dogs included in the pit bull grouping, only one, the American Pit Bull Terrier, is recognized by the United Kennel Club.

• A "pit bull" is not a breed, while the AmStaff is a breed. A dog that is classified as a "pit bull" is a mix of different bully breeds, such as AmStaffs, Bull Terriers, and the APBT. Now, if you want to know the difference between an AmSraff and an APBT, then all you have to do is search google. But, most pitties you see in shelters are called pit bull mixes, because their exact breed make up can not be verified.