Looking for dog groomer in Portland for terriers who can hand strip?

I have a border terrier who needs to be hand stripped about once a year, actually it probably ins't a need. She is super scruffy right now and I was hoping to get it done. I have just moved to Portland, Oregon from San Diego and haven't been to find…

I have a border terrier who needs to be hand stripped about once a year, actually it probably ins't a need. She is super scruffy right now and I was hoping to get it done. I have just moved to Portland, Oregon from San Diego and haven't been to find…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Looking for dog groomer in Portland for terriers who can hand strip?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Looking for dog groomer in Portland for terriers who can hand strip?

Looking for dog groomer in Portland for terriers who can hand strip? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a border terrier who needs to be hand stripped about once a year, actually it probably ins't a need. She is super scruffy right now and I was hoping to get it done. I have just moved to Portland, Oregon from San Diego and haven't been to find someone who does it yet. Any suggestions? I have done a bunch of searches and made a bunch of phone calls to local groomers already, even some in other nearby cities to no avail.The person who used to do it for me said not to do it too often. I tried to bring her in more often and she said it would hurt too much. It is so confusing and I have no intention on showing and am just a lover of my little pooch. I don't know what to do. Maybe I will just not have her stripped. If so then I guess I should get one of those nice and fancy brushes that help to get some of the hair out better.

Looking for dog groomer in Portland for terriers who can hand strip? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Many groomers don't know how to handstrip because most terrier owners prefer to just clip it all off. Your best bet is to find a reputable breeder (preferably one that is well known and respected so as to ensure the quality of the grooming), and ask if they will groom your dog for you. Most breeders I know willingly offer their services because grooming is just one of the ways they pay off their dogs' bills. Plus, breeders tend to be most experienced with techniques like handstripping. Try the Border Terrier Club of America for starters:http://clubs.akc.org/btcoa/membership/online-directory.htm#OROr you can try virtually any terrier breeder who shows dogs that need handstripping, like Cairn Terriers. Hope that helps you!

• Go to the AKC site http://akc.org to search for your local kennel club. Ask for contact info. for Terrier breeders/handlers in your area. Or attend a local show and find some Terrier folks.Unless you are showing you don't have to have the dog hand stripped. Terrier handlers I know, will NOT strip pets unless the owners will roll the coat on a regular basis, either by them or by the owner. In their opinion it is too painful unless it is done in small doses on a schedule. My Border clients did not want to pay $100 every 4 weeks, so they opted to have me clip the dogs. I don't know how much a breeder or handler would charge you, but please consider how much coat needs to come off and be kind to your dog. All at once may be too much !!!!I know hand stripped coats are nicer. Consider learning how so you can keep the coat up yourself in small increments if you want to keep stripping her.Unless they show Terriers, most pro groomers DO NOT know how to hand strip properly.