Introducing a new poodle to a cairn terrier?

So my cairn terrier is about seven years old, we're planning on getting another dog (poodle, about the same age). My cairn terrier loves attention, hyper, and loves people more than other dogs lol (but she always plays with the neighbor's dog!) Anyone…

So my cairn terrier is about seven years old, we're planning on getting another dog (poodle, about the same age). My cairn terrier loves attention, hyper, and loves people more than other dogs lol (but she always plays with the neighbor's dog!) Anyone…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Introducing a new poodle to a cairn terrier?...

• Introducing a new poodle to a cairn terrier?

Introducing a new poodle to a cairn terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
      So my cairn terrier is about seven years old, we're planning on getting another dog (poodle, about the same age). My cairn terrier loves attention, hyper, and loves people more than other dogs lol (but she always plays with the neighbor's dog!) Anyone have any advice on how to introduce a new dog to a territorial, old dog?

Introducing a new poodle to a cairn terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Breed makes no difference. I've done this 4 times. I've done it two ways. 2 met on neutral territory, and two met by the new dog coming in the home. I found out it really makes no difference. That first week is usually touch and go, so supervise the dogs when out of the crate and crate them when you can't supervise. It's ok for your dog to snap and growl at the new dog. Just no fighting allowed. After a week all should be well.

• Slowly. LOL. You must keep them separate at first. Give them a day in separate areas. Use a puppy or baby gate and keep one in each area. over the next few days having both on leashes walk them outside on non owned terf so there is no territory to worry about. Then bring them together on leash inside and watch the reactions. If the older dog shows aggression, begin again. Forcing the relationship can cause more troubles when you are not around. Always show equal attention to both dogs so one does not feel left out. As a treat for one means the same for the other. Terriers are a very aggressive breed and need this to be done slowly.Obedience classes for both would be beneficial so you can voice control.

• Well its better if it is introduced as a puppy. That way the old dog does not feel as threatened. Poodles are very friendly dogs, but Cairn Terriers (what i have read) are not. Having a dog get used to its new roommate may take weeks! Some dogs are aggressive and will attack. Old dogs are more likely to attack though. I have met many dogs that attack any other animal that comes near them. So try letting you terrier meet a new dog at the park and see how it reacts. Base its temper on that and get the poodle when your ready. When and if you decide to get the poodle, get the poodles sent on a blanket or something and let your dog sleep with the sent for a night or two. Then bring the poodle onto your yard, not inside the house yet, and let the terrier meet the new friend! Make sure they are on leashes just in case something goes wrong!