How does the Yorkshire Terrier do around children?

My friend has two kids and is considering adopting a Yorkshire Terrier. She wondered if this breed would get along with the kids in the house. The children are ages 10 and 12.

My friend has two kids and is considering adopting a Yorkshire Terrier. She wondered if this breed would get along with the kids in the house. The children are ages 10 and 12....
    Dog Breed Discussions : How does the Yorkshire Terrier do around children?...

• How does the Yorkshire Terrier do around children?

How does the Yorkshire Terrier do around children? Dog Breed Discussions
      My friend has two kids and is considering adopting a Yorkshire Terrier. She wondered if this breed would get along with the kids in the house. The children are ages 10 and 12.

How does the Yorkshire Terrier do around children? Dog Breed Discussions
    • That is an exceptable age for children to have dog, anything younger I would say no.The Dog should be ok as long as the children don't mess with it too much, Like cuddling and fussing, picking it up too much.etc. The dog will have to get used to it's surroundings first.

• If the kids are gentle,then it should be fine. Not good with very small kids,though,because they can be hurt too easily ( the dogs,not the kids).Kate - German Shepherds are NOT terriers!

• I've just got a yorkie last Saturday. He is three months old and I have to boys younger than yours and they are doing great, both the kids and the puppy. It's all about explaining your kids that the puppy is not a toy, and that they have to be really careful and gentle with him/her. Go ahead and get it, you won't regret it!

• As a yorkie breeder and show person, I would sell a pup to people with kids your age, if I knew that they had been taught how to interact with small dogs. Yorkies are great pets, but they have small bones which means that they can be seriously hurt by the roughhousing of kids, unless the kids know better.

• Yorkshire Terriers are usually fond of people and children. But owing to their size and the fragility of the structure, it is best for Yorkshire Terriers to be monitored when interacting with really young children. Moreover temperaments differ among yorkies and some may not prefer children like the others. However, if handled with care and a lot of love, yorkies are sure to give you back the affection and be great companions.

• There is nothing to worry about having a Yorkshire Terrier with kids around. Her children are big enough to handle with care the dog that your friend wish to have. Aside from that, Yorkshire Terier is people friendly. But there is also a need to make sure that your kids know the basic information on how to take care such pet.

• The issue really is about your friends ability to train such a breed of dog. While I will concede I would rather see your friend get a yorkie than a german shepherd, the thing she will have to consider is her ability to train and her children's ability to be gentle with this breed of dog. Kids that age have been known to hug a dog to death or break a dogs leg because they play too rough. I would imagine this breed would bite and jump and bark a lot, but then all breeds do that.