Is it safe for a female terrier mix to breed with a purebred husky?

My husky has been trying to mount my friends terrier mix for a while now, and since she has recently gone into her second heat, we were thinking that we should breed them, our only concerns are for the safety of the terrier mix. We don't know if we…

My husky has been trying to mount my friends terrier mix for a while now, and since she has recently gone into her second heat, we were thinking that we should breed them, our only concerns are for the safety of the terrier mix. We don't know if we…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is it safe for a female terrier mix to breed with a purebred husky?...

• Is it safe for a female terrier mix to breed with a purebred husky?

Is it safe for a female terrier mix to breed with a purebred husky? Dog Breed Discussions
      My husky has been trying to mount my friends terrier mix for a while now, and since she has recently gone into her second heat, we were thinking that we should breed them, our only concerns are for the safety of the terrier mix. We don't know if we should allow them to mate (we think they might have already) because we don't know if it would harm the female. We need advice. Thanks!!!thanks for all the rude replies. man, i hope shes not prego. That would suck.

Is it safe for a female terrier mix to breed with a purebred husky? Dog Breed Discussions
    • NO!! What'd are you trying to do KILL her...? The world is already filled to capacity with mutt already...we don't need anymore..many of them are euthanize in shelters due to lack of capacity. The puppies would be to big...and that would KILL her...get a life you know nothing about breeding dogs and you shouldn't be breeding them.

• OF cause it would harm her since the terrier mix is so much smaller! She has a highly increase chance she die halfway through, and the pups will also die! Don't you think we have another weirdo mutts and designer mutts without homes sitting on death row?Why do you want to breed her anyway?The Reasons People Should NOT Breed Their Dogs: I want another one just like my dog.This never works according to plan. When a dog gets pregnant, the puppies will take the father's traits, personality, and physical, and the mother's traits, and mix them up, taking some of one, some of another, and developing their own altogether. You will never get a perfect match. In stead you may end up with the worst traits of both dogs.Even cloning a dog (see Cloning Your Dog) has proven that while a genetic match is possible, looks and temperament are still in the hands of Fate.I want to make money.I can't believe people can still think they can make money off of puppies. The cost of breeding will overshadow any profits you think to make. The puppies need their first shots before going to their new homes, the mother needs frequent check-ups, and heaven forbid if something goes wrong. And something always goes wrong.I want my children to witness the miracle of birth.This "miracle" can now be easily viewed by both children and adults thanks to such wonderful programming as "A Baby Story" and "Maternity Ward", both available on cable television.Not only that, but how much of a "miracle" will your child be seeing if your beloved pet dies halfway through delivery?Puppies are cute, there's always people who want puppies.No, unfortunately this is the most ignorant assumption made these days. Not everybody wants puppies. Hundreds die everyday because of the lack of homes. How heartbreaking to hold a twelve week old puppy and put her to sleep because somebody thought for sure there would be somebody else who wanted her.For every puppy born, three die in shelters. There are too many out there and not enough homes for them all.If this is not enough reasons to stop you from breeding your dog, then here are a few more: Complications in birth and pregnancies happen all the time. You could face losing your dog to death, and all the puppies with her. Will YOU pay the $1200.00 for a much-needed emergency cesarean section when she cannot deliver the pups?What about sexually-transmitted diseases? That stud dog you had picked out may have one. They are more common than you think. How about genetic diseases? They abound.Breeding is not a careless affair, it is so much more than bringing bitch and stud together during a heat cycle. Please think it over carefully.Look at the size differentFor example i use the Jack Russell Terrier-14-18pounds (6-8kg)Siberian Husky=35-60pounds=16 1/2- 27kg)Numer 1; A terrier is so much smaller, which means the poor terrier mix has a VERY HIGH incidence of dying and NOT producing any PUPSNumber 2; If pups did get produce which is very unlikely, you need to pay for a c-section which would be 1,200 at a minimum, as the pups would be way to large to go through a natural labourNumber 3; iF the pups come out with the Jack Russell legs and Husky body, you cause hip, and joint issues as well, which will lead to arthrisits and other issues.Number 4; If the pups come out with Husky legs on Jack Russell Terrier body, again hip and leg, and joint issues!COSTS OF HAVING A LITTERAll of the tests listed are necessary for the health of the bitch and her litter and also to screen for possible genetic problems that could occure in future generations. Plus stud needs to be testedNORMAL EXPENSES BEFORE THE BREEDING Shots, Worming=$75Brucellosis Test (Doggy VD)=$25Hips x-rayed (for dysplasia)=$200Elbows x-rayed (for dysplasia)=$75 Thyroid Test=$50 ACVO/CERF (eye exam) $45 per/8 years=$360 DNA Test For PRA (eyes )=$250 AT TIME OF BREEDING Stud Fee=$500Boarding Expenses=$200AFTER THE BREEDING Good Quality Food=$90Whelping Box=$100Whelping supplies=$100AT BIRTH Vet check for Mom & Pups=$75Dew Claw Removal $10 per puppy=$100AS PUPPIES GROW garbage bags=$256 week vet visit with shots=$250Newspaper Ad=$40Puppy Food=$90X-Pen for Puppies=$75Safe Toys=$50APPROXIMATE TOTAL COST=$2,730PROBLEMS OVER & ABOVE THE NORMAL COSTS C-section $1200 Trouble after delivery/Mastitis $ 300 Supplements if your bitchwon't nurse $ 150 Euthanasia for physicallydeformed puppies $ 50 Trouble if a puppy/puppiesdon't do well $200+++ PARVOand possible loss ofsome or all puppies $3000+++ Other associated difficultiestoo many and too varied to mentionbut they can and do happen $200+++++++

• Haven't you asked this question before? No, it would not be safe for the terrier to breed with your Husky. There is a huge size difference. The pups will be too big for her to carry, she'll probably need an emergency c-section (very expensive) and you'll more than likely end up with dead pups and a dead mum. Do you want that????

• it is not safe, expecially if the female is smallerJust because the dog goes into heat doesnt mean it should be bred. The mixed breed dog should be SPAYED. Terrier mixes are a dime a dozen in shelters and resuces.And unless your husky has a CH or working title and passed proper health tests.. your dog should be NEUTERED.. there's no shortage of husky mixes or poorly bred huskies.

• dont breed an animalhundreds of thousands of dogs and puppies get put to sleep every year because of people not getting their animals fixed. if you want to play with puppies go to the humane society. and if you think your dog could potentionally get hurt then you should allow them to be around eachother in the first place. im not trying to be mean or anything.

• Why on earth do you even want to breed these two dogs? It's very unlikely you could even make any money off the puppies (if that is your motive), since they would just be mutts. Since the female is only in her second heat, she is also much too young for you to be breeding her.Every pregnancy has the possibility of killing the dog, and since you don't give us much information about the female (like what size she is), I can't give you a better answer.Since you don't really seem to know what you're doing, it would be best to just get your dog neutered (and ask your friend to spay her dog).

• The first question is WHY you think you should breed them? Your friend's dog is already a mixed breed, and whether you know it or not, for every puppy born, 3 in shelters are put down. Second, since she is a mix, you really know nothing about her heritage, and what kind of genetic defects may be passed to their offspring. Let's say she manages to survive whelping (I assume she's smaller than the male), and gives birth to 8 puppies, what do you do with them when no one wants them? Do you take on the expense & responsibility of keeping them forever, or do you dump them in a shelter when you realize you've made a mistake?

• why? No, it's not a good idea. if she is smaller than he is, absolutely NOT, DON"T do it under any circumstances! 1st or last heat, just don't. what are you going to do with the litter? Think they might have already? If they "locked" then it's too late. If you weren't watching them, then i feel sorry for the female. Start saving your money for a spaying or a c-section. If you are asking, your gut feeling is telling you no.

• You can't be serious, surely!Firstly you are putting the life of the smaller dog at risk. She would probably need a C section so I hope your friend has $2000 put aside to save the life of her dog. She would expect you to share the cost since you are willing to risk the life of her dog by allowing your male to mate with the terrier.You are both irresponsible dog owners.The world is overpopulated with cross bred dogs. That's why tens of thousands of them are killed in pounds every week. Don't add to the problem. Do the right thing. Since you are both unsure whether these dogs have already mated, the terrier needs to be taken to the vet for an emergency spay. Your dog should be neutered ASAP.

• And you want to bring more mutts into the world why? Tell your friend to get their dogs fixed rather than stupidly risking her life. There is absolutely no reason to allow these two animals to mate and certainly not when their owners known nothing about breeding safely.

• Spay your terrier and neuter your husky, If the terrier lives through the whelping chances are you will not find the puppies a home. They will end up in the local animal shelter and end up gassed, heart stuck or sold to research. WOW what a price to pay just because.

• Good luck finding homes in this s hitty economy for 8-12 mutt puppies!!!The person above my comment is a complete moron. Reputable breeders have their dogs health certified before breeding therefor, they don't pass down any bad genetics. Some people should NOT have access to the internet.