Why does the terrier group win at Westminster the most?

I've been looking at all the breeds that have won best in show. And the terrier group has won more than half of the years Westminster has taken place. Is it because they are smaller in size and can be more spunky? What do you think?

I've been looking at all the breeds that have won best in show. And the terrier group has won more than half of the years Westminster has taken place. Is it because they are smaller in size and can be more spunky? What do you think?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why does the terrier group win at Westminster the most?...

• Why does the terrier group win at Westminster the most?

Why does the terrier group win at Westminster the most? Dog Breed Discussions
      I've been looking at all the breeds that have won best in show. And the terrier group has won more than half of the years Westminster has taken place. Is it because they are smaller in size and can be more spunky? What do you think?

Why does the terrier group win at Westminster the most? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It is often because they sparkle in the show ring. The "terrier attitude" can be a real advantage when showing. Having a dog that stands up and says look at me will give you an advantage over one that just shows.

• There are lot's of different breeds of terriers , from the Rat terrier to the Pit Bull Terrier . Smaller ones like Yorkies and others that are well bred and groomed well mannered proper handling by the person showing the dog tend to stand out more . That's why they have different category's for different breeds I don't think there is any favoritism they just have a tendency to stand out more .

• I agree with Lynn - the terriers are all pluck and fire, they scream "look at me" in a way that a somber working breed, a goofy gundog, a driven herding breed, or a diminutive toy cannot (and should not, if they are to be correct).The terrier breeds are also, for the most part, old breeds. These are breeds that have been bred for 100 years or more to conform to a written standard, while most other breeds have fewer years of intentional breeding for the show ring or other things that held them back - like more nuanced working traits to be preserved or more health problems to eliminate.Terriers are also a grooming-intensive breed - hand stripping properly can take hours and must be carefully timed to get a dog in perfect coat for the day of the big show. Thus, while the "wash-and-wear" breeds are often handled by amateurs, the terriers are where you find the best of the best of the professional handlers. The Great Pyrenees in the ring might belong to a hobby breeder and have been guarding a flock of goats three days before the show, but the terrier has been living with someone who gets paid to prepare them entirely and only for this day - diet, exercise, coat, training, maintenance - every moment of that terrier's life for the past 3-6 months (or more) has probably been controlled by a pro.