What can I do to ensure that my rat terrier will be well-trained?

I plan on getting a rat terrier in the next few months. I'll be getting it when its just a puppy, so I want to make sure I train it well. I've never owned a dog before, so I need to know virtually everything there is about the care and keeping of a small…

I plan on getting a rat terrier in the next few months. I'll be getting it when its just a puppy, so I want to make sure I train it well. I've never owned a dog before, so I need to know virtually everything there is about the care and keeping of a small…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What can I do to ensure that my rat terrier will be well-trained?...

• What can I do to ensure that my rat terrier will be well-trained?

What can I do to ensure that my rat terrier will be well-trained? Dog Breed Discussions
      I plan on getting a rat terrier in the next few months. I'll be getting it when its just a puppy, so I want to make sure I train it well. I've never owned a dog before, so I need to know virtually everything there is about the care and keeping of a small rat terrier.

What can I do to ensure that my rat terrier will be well-trained? Dog Breed Discussions
    • The most important thing is puppy classes -- they are great for training you and the puppy, as well as socializing him/her. Make sure he/she is introduced to a lot of different people/places (once he/she has been vaccinated) and he/she won't be afraid of anything!

• u will do great =] just make sure anything u dont like of its behavour make sure it knows .well i would recomend getting a rat terrier book from pets at home xxx i hope i have helped xxx

• Go to puppy class. You will learn everything from there. However the breeder can be a great source of information. Do NOT buy from a puppy mill or a pet store. Go with a experienced breeder or adopt.

• Terriers can tend to show their attitude if they have not been properly socialized. I would suggest immediately joining a local puppy class, where he or she can play with other puppies and you can learn about dog behavior. As it gets older you can take different levels of training classes. As for basic training of dogs, consistency is key. If Fido needs to be house broken, feed him, and take him outside immediately, every time. If you do not want him on the couch, he can’t get up there sometimes because it is cute. Dogs do not understand "sometimes" until they are much older. Very black and white, yes and no. Check out ASPCA.org for pet care and training advice and save up money for training. The earlier you start the better. Good luck and congratulations!

• Either enroll in some puppy classes, invest in a professional dog trainer, or go to the library and start researching training methods now. I had great luck with positive reinforcement training. Just type "dog training methods" in to any search engine and you'll come up with thousands of pages. My friend loves Patricia McConnell's methods, and I know other people that swear by NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free).