Do you think the mini schnauzer is a type of terrier?

I know there is much debate among seasoned terrier experts as to whether the miniature schnauzer is actually terrier. One of the biggest experts and someone who I feel is extremely knowledgeable--"Terrierman" believes they absolutely are not terriers. I…

I know there is much debate among seasoned terrier experts as to whether the miniature schnauzer is actually terrier. One of the biggest experts and someone who I feel is extremely knowledgeable--"Terrierman" believes they absolutely are not terriers. I…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Do you think the mini schnauzer is a type of terrier?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do you think the mini schnauzer is a type of terrier?

Do you think the mini schnauzer is a type of terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
      I know there is much debate among seasoned terrier experts as to whether the miniature schnauzer is actually terrier. One of the biggest experts and someone who I feel is extremely knowledgeable--"Terrierman" believes they absolutely are not terriers. I don't expect most people on yahoo answers to be informed on this subject but I thought I'd ask anyway. I just want to see the general consensus on here.

Do you think the mini schnauzer is a type of terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I do not believe the Miniature Schnauzer should be in the Terrier group, I believe they had the option to switch into the non-sporting group, but didnt want to because they didnt want to compete against Poodles and such.

• Terrier man has a lot of interesting theories about terriers and mostly have to do with how the dogs are used today. As they are used today in the US, no they are probably wouldn't get the terrier designation if newly recognized, but many of the dogs with terrier in their name are now mostly companions except in certain areas of the country. In the US, Schnauzers are considered a terrier in the UK they are not. This opens up the questions as to what dogs are today, should they be bred solely to do what they orig. were bred to do or can they be companions only etc....

• If you determine type by the job the breed was bred to do, then yes, the miniature schnauzer is a terrier, along with the smaller pinschers and dachshunds.If you determine type by area of origin, then no - terriers are from the British Isles.I'd like to know why "Terrierman" *doesn't* consider them terriers? They have many of the same drives, abilities, similarities in structure and temperament...Add: LMAO - if you determine type by how the dogs are used today in North America, then let's just lump *every breed* under the toy category - or "Companion" category, as it should be called!

• Using that criteria,one would need to dump Airedales,both "bully" breeds.,Irish,Kerry,Wheaties....they were not originally bred to do a "real" terrier's job.I've seen two mini Schz.who actually wanted to G-T-G (in 15+ years of judging?)...& NONE that did natural hunt/working. Would a sane & sound pup...properly started & handled...be any good? Dunno,wish somebody would try it.May I add? There are plenty of REAL, knowledgeable & vastly experienced terrier-people who would take offense at your description of Mr.Burns as being "one of the biggest experts.." ,my dear. Plenty. Oh,actually they'd probably just laugh & shrug. ;)