How to train my terrier to hunt?

I have a little terrier mix six month old puppy and he is in great shape for hunting. I have a springer lab mix that hunts rabbits. The problem is i don't where to start with him because he is more of a rodent hunter. How do i teach him to hunt in the…

I have a little terrier mix six month old puppy and he is in great shape for hunting. I have a springer lab mix that hunts rabbits. The problem is i don't where to start with him because he is more of a rodent hunter. How do i teach him to hunt in the…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How to train my terrier to hunt?...

• How to train my terrier to hunt?

How to train my terrier to hunt? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a little terrier mix six month old puppy and he is in great shape for hunting. I have a springer lab mix that hunts rabbits. The problem is i don't where to start with him because he is more of a rodent hunter. How do i teach him to hunt in the field?My springer lab uses gee, haw, and some words i made up as a kid like Hut for come and hyuwat which means go ahead of me.the only problem with the dogs training each other is that my lab is sick with cancer and arthritis so she can't teach the pup

How to train my terrier to hunt? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Start with the hide or carcass of a dead Rabbit. Act excited and show him the carcass. have someone hold the dog and then drag the dead rabbit a short distance and hide it behind some grass or a tree. Praise him when he finds it. Repeat this serveral times, but dont over do it if he is a young dog. Some people use live rabbits to train there Basset hounds. I don't know if this is possible for you. I don't like using live animals in this way. Its one thing to hunt a wild rabbit and quite another to have a dog tear into a tame rabbit. Good luck

• well my family and i had a hunting dog not too long ago. what we did was stick a dead carcus of a rabbit in a old stocking hat and tie it up. the dog will still be able to smell it. let it get used to the sent of the rabbit. then you can let it hunt with other dogs. eventually it'll get used to it. you might want to be careful though because if it likes to get far away, without a leash in the field will allow it to run wherever it wants. we found out that when you yell for them to come back when they're young they usualy dont listen. good luck